Child Friendly Minis

morgansmith

As I have recently posted, I have a 4 year old I am temporarily parenting. I gave her one of the castles Michael's had/has and I haven't done anything with. She loves it. We got pink paint at her request and she's asked to do it all by herself. I am wondering................does anyone have any advice regarding furniture that is child safe? I am thinking home made something, hopefully not plastic. The castle is about 1/2" scale maybe. It's odd. Not alot of room but I am thinking beds and chairs would be a start.

Thank you :) My only child is very male and almost 30. This helping a little one do 'pink' things is awfully fun but oh my things have changed.

Why not make some simple things with her? A small empty matchbox can make a small scale bed, covered with a scrap pf passtel fabric glued to the bottom for sheets and a pretty wee print draped over that for a spread. A thread spool can become a stool, etc.

What about some of the Greenleaf half-inch scale furniture? When it's glued, sanded, and painted, it's quite sturdy and easily moved around by little hands.

Holly and Kathie, Those are two GREAT ideas. I love them. They are both so different it will be two kinds of projects. Kathie, I've always wanted to try the Greenleaf furniture kits. They are so cute. And Holly, you made me think of a borrowers house. I'll plan a treasure hunt around the house.

I am creative. I am also a bit overwhelmed right now. I was so stuck. Again. I knew I could depend on 'the forum'.

Thank you so much. I am open to more great ideas like these but ready for tomorrow. Yea!!!

The Borrowers' house was where my mind was. I also like Kathie's suggestion, especially if your little one is old enough and coordinated enough to help put some of the larger bits together (in the kitchen, the fridge, etc.) You might also want to pick up a piece or two of 1/8" thick basswood, since some of the 1:12 furniture items didn't have backs and were more like open boxes, and IMPO I think closed boxes are safer for little fingers to grasp & move around.

I am overwhelmed by the forum's reaction to our situation. We may only have her for two weeks. We've decided to do a castle AND Borrowers house. She needs a nightstand so we're making a quick two room two story nightstand/borrowers house. Now to make a list of all the wonderful borrowers items........input is welcome!