yet another scratch build

mesp2k

Comment faisez-vous les vitrines?

Google Translation: How did you do the windows?

You been hang'n out with Kathie in the French Quarter?

I bought the window, if that's what your ask'n...but I should have built it ! Its 3/8" thick instead of 1/2"...I painted it with the protective paper in place to act as a mask...after the paint dried I removed the paper & all the plastic was scratched ! :w00t: Isn't that what the paper is on there for to protect it from scratches? LOL! I think some Future Floor Wax will fix it tho...

...just got back from Joann's SUPER store...spent waaaayyyy too much !

I might do the entry door window, skylight & transom with Rustoleum frosted glass spray with a clear line design - got some stick-on stencil designs to use as masks. Or I might create a wrought iron grill look with some hammered flat wire painted black?

...got a stamp that I can use to emboss aluminum foil for the tin ceiling.

I'd like to do the double window in the entry in stained glass - got the clear Gallery Glass & stained glass pens. Was thinking of using black thread or wire for the leading. Also got the Gallery Glass Liquid Leading & else where in the store found these squeeze bottles with metal tips 0.5mm & 0.9mm - hopefully I can get a fine line with this?

Oh & my MIL gave me a wood burning tool - maybe I can get a carved look on the door?

So I have lots of experimenting to do! :idea:

That is a beautiful door.

This is also, for the record, a beautiful house. :)

Thanks kynne ! How do you pronounce your 1st name? I assume that's your 1st name..?

Thanks Kynne!

Front door - frosted glass stencil:

Will probably use bottom right design?

After I bought this stencil I realized the cut out space should be clear -

so now I have to coat the cut out area with liquid mask or

wax or something then remove the stencil, spray the frost, then remove the mask.

Dang!!

sml_gallery_4762_5714_339149.jpg

1st attempt at stained glass:

Didn't like the plastic window - photo shows real glass.

I think I will go for a more contemporary, cleaner design...

I have to do double side by side windows -

so they need to be identical, maybe.

sml_gallery_4762_5714_83556.jpg

Door placement & mansard roof:

I showed my DW this roof - she said yes but curved - so i guess that's it!

Not using this door - just mock up -

med_gallery_4762_5714_69937.jpg

Its officially an office & its on a corner.

Want to use paver / red bricks for the city sidewalk. (see faint sidewalk outline)

The steps will be deeper, top step more porch-like.

Also finished the foundation. :D

med_gallery_4762_5714_133946.jpg

Side by side windows don't need to have identical leaded glass. You could treat them as a whole. Just remember to cut out a piece of the design the same size as the space between the windows, so the design doesn't get a blown-apart look. A flowery/vine design would work well, as would somethinge more geometric, if you're going for the office look.

Thanks Tracy!

Thanks KathieB - after I said identical - I thought NO, why? They will definitely be very simple.

While I was looking for stained glass ideas, just now, I found this & had to go & have a snack...yum ! :drool:

These cookies would be a great idea for windows on a gingerbread house for Xmas ! !

Experimenting w/frosted glass for front door:

Left: Sticky backed vinyl stencil on a CD jewel case,

heavy coating of Rubber Cement.

Right: Results. Red thing is pencil showing distinction of frost/clear

Frost spray paint went thru rubber cement & stuck to CD, also created ridges.

med_gallery_4762_5714_84774.jpg

I'll try PAM next???

That didn't work either!

Trying Dip-It vinyl spray paint...wish me luck !

Edited by mesp2k

...rough idea of stained glass window design for entryway double windows. A more airy, contemporary look. The flowers will have smoother edge - I hope...

We'll see how it comes out with the Gallery Glass paint & leading?? The background will be clear GG, with green stems/leaves, not sure about the flower color yet, probably amber - golden - yellow blend??

med_gallery_4762_5714_83466.jpg

Mike, I like the colors and flow of the new design. I'd think a bit about the jagged edges on the flowers. If you're trying to mimic real leaded glass, there's no way glass could be cut that way. Here's a rough suggestion. The right petal on the bottom flower should extend to touch the leaf/stem that passes above it.

post-818-0-52695000-1337218202_thumb.jpg

Thanks KathieB

Yes the design definitely needs a bit more work. I agree with you about the bottom-right flower - it should break up the background - that would be an almost if not impossible cut, LOL! And I would need to smooth the flowers out with the liquid leading. My DW does stained glass - she gave me a similar critique :)

I need to find a shrink-ray so I can live in your house when it's finished, Mike. I'm just sayin'. :D

Thanks Deb - you can live there but its an office so you'll have to do some work, well at least 1/12 the work, hehehe

Yes, but if she shrinks herself down to fit she'll only be 1:12, too; does thaat mean she only has to do 1/144 the work?

But then Deb would only get 1/144 the pay :deal: altho she'd have a nice office to work in -

oh BTW no heat or A/C... hmmm n' no bathroom... :waycon: gotta go, gotta go, gotta go... :)