yet another scratch build

mesp2k

Front wall started:

med_gallery_4762_5714_710727.jpg

The front wall archway is cut out. Above arch added 5.5mm plywood + some poster board to = 1/4" thickness, cut on band saw, will finish with inside trim (veneer or poster board.) String between window & archway for outdoor & entry light paths.

I added the trim all around the roof, but came up short ...

hopefully Home Depot still carries this Tiny Trim style ! ?

I think its a nice way to finish off any roof...I'm happy with it :)

med_gallery_4762_5714_201700.jpg

Finished framing & window cutouts for main house.

med_gallery_4762_5714_520342.jpg

The other big things to tackle - spiral staircase & entry addition. I think I might construct 1 step & make a mold of it for a total of 15 steps!

Wiring should arrive Monday..

Yikes! Do I know what I'm do'in??

Your work is so amazing! And do not to worry about what your doing, you will somehow manage to nut it out!

Like your signature says, "on the verge of a nervous breakthrough!" :lol: (That made me laugh!)

This is only a mock up of the spiral staircase.

Cut mat board treads (wedges), used hole punch to fit them over 3/16" dowel...

Its not as big & intrusive as I thought it might be...

med_gallery_4762_5714_704248.jpg

Your interior trim on that window is interesting - and also very lovely. How did you do that? Does the window not extend into the room at all on the inside?

OK, never mind - I see what you've done. I just missed a picture in there. That is very nice.

Your interior trim on that window is interesting - and also very lovely. How did you do that? Does the window not extend into the room at all on the inside? OK, never mind - I see what you've done. I just missed a picture in there. That is very nice.

Thanks Kelly. The walls in the above photo don't have the interior mat board yet - so you're looking at the inside of the wall - stud framing on the wall & around the window.

I assume you were referring to that CLA70112 casement window - its an oddball - its not 1/2" thick like the others & the protective paper over the plastic wouldn't come off - I took the window apart & the protective paper was stuck in the groove along with the plastic - then when I glued the sash back together (should have painted it 1st, duh) the pinned part was locking up on me? I'll glue it shut, dang it !!

Speak'n of windows - the small attic window on the 1st floor near the archway HW5046 says fits opening 2"w x 4"h - NOPE!! If you cut the opening this size you'll have to hammer the window into place! Should be 2-1/16"w x 4-1/16"h :thumb:

...started the wiring. For the lamp cord I used 33 gauge magnet / enameled wire.

I twisted it then painted it...the diameter at 1/12 scale is about 1/4", just right...the lamp cord can be painted any color, should probably use a good metal primer 1st. The wire could be pulled taught then glued - then painted for a more contemporary look. The lamp cord can be shaped so it falls in to what looks like how normal cord would fall...

The makeshift lamp works on all the connections - whew ! :)

The lamp was made on a lathe. Then I drilled a hole from top to bottom, came out crocked & split the top - so next time I'll groove two pieces of wood then glue them together forming a nice straight channel for the wiring - then turn it on the lathe.

med_gallery_4762_5714_68241.jpg

Roof shingles, whew! ...the front is done !! I need to do some stretching exercises...LOL

med_gallery_4762_5714_169868.jpg

• painted the roof black
  • taped computer printed guidelines to both edges of the roof section
  • painted 1/16" veneer grey, grey-brown, tans
  • cut 5/8" shingles from the veneer at varying widths
  • spaced at 1/2"
  • eaves & rake overhang 1/8"
  • used a piece of strip wood covered with freezer paper as a guide (non-stick)
  • weighted strip wood with paint cans
  • glued each shingle in place
  • when row was finished - moved the strip wood on top of the shingled row with paint cans as weight & let dry

The board at the ridge will be glued in place after I finish the back roof. The roof was much easier to work with - as it was not attached to the dollhouse, but flat on the work bench.

Interior back wall done (right) expect for chair rail.

Started entry (thru archway)

med_gallery_4762_5714_205776.jpg

Hey the sun finally came out !

Exterior shot of entry progress...

There'll be a door on the front of the entry facing the street (photo-right) & a window on the side (photo-left) Might do all beadboard inside with window seat?

med_gallery_4762_5714_41638.jpg

Underneath will be posts & lattice. Not sure what type of roof to do??

The entry can be taken apart / put together the same as main house.

Also finished siding on main house...

Thanks Holly

...flat roof :hmm: that would be simpler, but to have access from

the main house I'd need to do a dormer & door. :w00t:

Maybe just a flat roof with a nice molding ? :waycon:

A flat roof with crown molding around the outer edge -

wouldn't that create a swimming pool?!

Where does the rain water go? What rain?

I'm get'n punchy - hey its been over a month & I'm still sticking with this project,

don't laugh - that's amazing for me ! :rolleyes:I don't think I have ADD? :nono:

Where's that distraction button...?

A RL flat roof has a ten degree pitch toward the front (in the case of your addition, to the side of the house) with openings for downspouts at each corner (are you stopping long enough to get some sleep?); no swimming pool.

Finished lattice, framing & window. Still playing around with colors - will probably do the posts, trim & lattice the darker shade? Might do a copper verdigris hip roof?

med_gallery_4762_5714_53837.jpg

Inspirational floor photo:

amtico-foyer05.jpg

designs courtesy of Amtico® Tile - All rights reserved.

I drew this floor in CorelDraw. I'll have this floor copied at Staples, draw some embossed lines on it, then seal it. I'm think'n of doing the entryway with bead board from floor to ceiling & on the ceiling - in a light to medium oak.

gallery_4762_5714_162917.jpg