Stairs in the Garfield

Mary11

Speaking of staining or painting both sides of something in the Garfield -- I learned this the hard way... make sure you stain (or paint, whatever you plan to do) both sides of the window trim, including the sills. You just might see the back side of the interior trim from the outside (or vice versa) after you're done!!! And, you can count on someone noticing if the underside of the sills on, say, the small top tower windows aren't finished!

Should I paint all surfaces of the staircase even those that won't be seen, both sides of each piece?

For the stairs I only painted that which is seen. (including anything seen if you were a tiny person and lived in the house) I do wish now I would have painted it all white except the steps and stained them instead, I think it looks nicer but

so many things are learned in retrospect.

The fact that it's a learning process is part of the fun of building one's first dh (see, I learn fast!). I'm about 3/4 finished with my first, the Garfield, and I can definitely see where I'm going to do things differently with the next one!

The fact that it's a learning process is part of the fun of building one's first dh (see, I learn fast!). I'm about 3/4 finished with my first, the Garfield, and I can definitely see where I'm going to do things differently with the next one!

Yes I am putting my first hanging light in the dining area. I had some broken ones and came up with one.....maybe two good ones. I made the ditch in the floor of the bathroom to hide the round wire. my first. My first house I used masking tape to hang the wire from the ceiling so this an improvement for me. I also started putting some furniture in. Why is it that we can't wait till we are done to start setting some furniture inside? lol

Do you have a Gallery album of your house? I put a youtube video up of where I am at with the house. you can click on the link below. You are so right about all the things we would do differently with the next one. But it is OK I am just going to have fun. Do my best without freaking out about little flaws good grief! I have viewed many of the Gallery Albums and found several Garfield. so perhaps I have seen yours?

Cheryl

Cheryls Garfield

Edited by mininecessities

Sandy & Cheryl, I dry fit all my builds before I glue so I can spot where the places are I'll need to decorate before gluing it up, when those places will be inaccessible, especially stairwells. I also wait until I have done other decorating before installing windows and doors, since my ability to keep paint off of the clear window inserts is nonexistant.

Holly, never mind paint. You can get around that by painting around the window openings before putting in the windows. But how do you keep the glue off those acetate windows??? You can't use any solvent 'cause that will melt the acetate, and using water, well, you can just keep wiping it off forever! I usually just let it dry and then it's easy to lift off, but sometimes the acetate gets scratched.

Whatever -- you are absolutely right, Holly. Dry fitting all the bits and pieces is a must. That was the only way I was able to wallpaper everything (literally, everything that needed it) before I put up any of the walls.

Cheryl, your video is great, and so is your Garfield! Why is it that everyone else's work area looks so clean and neat? Mine is just a mess. Every couple of days or so I have to top and clean up and reorganize or else I wouldn't be able to find anything! Oh, what I wouldn't give for an extra room to do this in ;-)!!!

But how do you keep the glue off those acetate windows???

Use the tip of a toothpick to put a tiny drop of white glue at each corner of the acetate to attach it to the frame and maybe on each side where the horizontal center piece touches the frame. It doesn't take gobs and gobs of glue to hold it in place. Any glue that squishes out at the corner can be taken away with a dry toothpick while it's still wet. Be almost as equally stingy with the glue when gluing the frame to the wall. As the old Brill Cream ad said: "A little dab 'll do ya!"

BTW, some folks do not glue the windows to the house but use tacky wax to install them so they can be removed later for redecorating, cleaning, etc.

Sandy & Cheryl, I dry fit all my builds before I glue so I can spot where the places are I'll need to decorate before gluing it up, when those places will be inaccessible, especially stairwells. I also wait until I have done other decorating before installing windows and doors, since my ability to keep paint off of the clear window inserts is nonexistant.

Thanks Holly! I need all the tips I can get! Right now I am scratching my hands up pretty good working on the stairwell wallpaper lol I was pretty nervous when I started this and the kit said to put it together. And what you

see is house all done with no paint, paper or anything. lol This kit said to use a hot glue gun. I didn't as I was afraid it would be too thick and come apart too easy. But perhaps it is a good idea if a person knows just how to do it but I do know wood glue can hold like cement

Cheryl

Holly, never mind paint. You can get around that by painting around the window openings before putting in the windows. But how do you keep the glue off those acetate windows??? You can't use any solvent 'cause that will melt the acetate, and using water, well, you can just keep wiping it off forever! I usually just let it dry and then it's easy to lift off, but sometimes the acetate gets scratched.

Whatever -- you are absolutely right, Holly. Dry fitting all the bits and pieces is a must. That was the only way I was able to wallpaper everything (literally, everything that needed it) before I put up any of the walls.

Cheryl, your video is great, and so is your Garfield! Why is it that everyone else's work area looks so clean and neat? Mine is just a mess. Every couple of days or so I have to top and clean up and reorganize or else I wouldn't be able to find anything! Oh, what I wouldn't give for an extra room to do this in ;-)!!!

Oh my I had to about roll on the floor laughing about a "neat" room. OMG if you saw this. This craft room has never been this messy. I have to walk sideways............it was a mess to start with then I started working on the dollhouse and haven't put anything away as will probably need it during the build. I honestly thought of taking a pic and showing you so you feel better but I would be too embarrassed to come back here lol

anyway be assured you are not as messy as me. I do have a craft room but it is over flowing. It is actually small even though it is the main bedroom......I put my bed in a tiny room as I need this one haha

I do lucite carving and I had to move my buffer and sander out in the hallway. oh well, I should just make the whole house an art n craft studio.

but thanks for letting me know how good I hid the background...........

Was just reading through these posts and decided this would be a good place to ask this question. my wallpaper, when I cut the windows out after putting it up, it is kind of raggy in places. I know in the kitchen that sort of

shown through in window casings. I am trying to sand it down without tearing the wallpaper which it has a tendency to do. Should have cut my wallpaper slightly smaller to begin with to keep those areas smooth? I worry about that though because things have a tendency to shrink when drying. any ideas?? thanks!

Cheryl

...how do you keep the glue off those acetate windows???...Why is it that everyone else's work area looks so clean and neat?..
I apply glue sparingly with a pointed toothpick to the very edge of the acetate and center it over the frame. I like Kathie's method, too, and will use it next time. For removing wet glue I find a damp Qtip works well for me.

Use the tip of a toothpick to put a tiny drop of white glue at each corner of the acetate to attach it to the frame and maybe on each side where the horizontal center piece touches the frame. It doesn't take gobs and gobs of glue to hold it in place. Any glue that squishes out at the corner can be taken away with a dry toothpick while it's still wet. Be almost as equally stingy with the glue when gluing the frame to the wall...

... what you see is house all done with no paint, paper or anything. lol This kit said to use a hot glue gun. I didn't as I was afraid it would be too thick and come apart too easy. But perhaps it is a good idea if a person knows just how to do it but I do know wood glue can hold like cement...
Now you know why we wish those instructions would be updated. And unless you want to send your Garfield to me when it begins to fall apart next year, you do NOT want to use hot glue to build it! Maybe to spot-hold edges together whilst the wood glue dries, but I'm rehabbing my second hot glue built house, the Pierce, and I have a wood version of the Orchid next.

Oh my I had to about roll on the floor laughing about a "neat" room...I do lucite carving and I had to move my buffer and sander out in the hallway. oh well, I should just make the whole house an art n craft studio...
I'm still trying to sell DH on that one; he's "compromised" and promised me a workshop out back next year...

...my wallpaper, when I cut the windows out after putting it up, it is kind of raggy in places. I know in the kitchen that sort of

shown through in window casings. I am trying to sand it down without tearing the wallpaper which it has a tendency to do. Should have cut my wallpaper slightly smaller to begin with to keep those areas smooth? I worry about that though because things have a tendency to shrink when drying. any ideas??...

I give my wallpaper two full days to dry, longer if it's rainy, and use a brand new blade in my utility knife to cut the wallpaper. I lay the window trim over the wallpaper and cut away a sliver within the area covered by the trim so that the edge of the paper won't show when the trim is glued on.

I apply glue sparingly with a pointed toothpick to the very edge of the acetate and center it over the frame. I like Kathie's method, too, and will use it next time. For removing wet glue I find a damp Qtip works well for me.

Now you know why we wish those instructions would be updated. And unless you want to send your Garfield to me when it begins to fall apart next year, you do NOT want to use hot glue to build it! Maybe to spot-hold edges together whilst the wood glue dries, but I'm rehabbing my second hot glue built house, the Pierce, and I have a wood version of the Orchid next.

I'm still trying to sell DH on that one; he's "compromised" and promised me a workshop out back next year...

I give my wallpaper two full days to dry, longer if it's rainy, and use a brand new blade in my utility knife to cut the wallpaper. I lay the window trim over the wallpaper and cut away a sliver within the area covered by the trim so that the edge of the paper won't show when the trim is glued on.

Speaking of hot glue, I already knew I didn't like it though. My adult daughter bought the Laurel Kit and they put it together in one day.........with Hot Glue! Later she decided she didnt want it so she gave it to me and I took the whole thing apart and re glued with wood glue. Then gave it to my granddaughter. I will upload the photos of the ones I gave the girls one of these days. The other house, made from the plan book, is really weird. When I built it many years ago I did not know where to buy spindles for the railings...........so I took my dremel and carved all the spindles............had a heck of a time putting them all up. it is quite crooked. I have learned so much over the years being involved with minis. The curtains in my earlier ones I actually tacked the ends down with hot glue........I have a great book on pleating etc, but no pleaters. they are kind of spendy. I want to get done with this, so I can do the two San Fransiscans as row houses, then get the Orchid. I will have to put a stairway in the Orchid. my first house didnt come with stairs I don't think and I fretted like crazy trying to get a stair case in and do it right so the little people would not bump their heads.............

I can't do dollhouses that don't have doorways between the rooms either..........how on earth would they get about? ...........always putting a bathroom on the ground floor would be best., I would never make it upstairs LOL

I am crazy as a loon I think lol

If you're going to get crazy, Cheryl, this is the place to let it all out!!! i think we're all a little nuts, or else we wouldn't be here.

Kathie and Holly -- you are just brilliant! Why didn't I think of using a toothpick. I bought those glue syringes (they look like hypodermic needles) and they do give a nice fine line, but it's still too much glue! Oh, well, next time. I'm making curtains now for the tower windows and the kitchen bay, which I'll put up before putting those pieces in place.

Instead of paying (something like) $7.99 for a dollhouse curtain rod (yup, believe it), I bought these 1/8" round dowels at Michaels and found a box of wooden beads to use at the ends. The dowel is 36" and cost all of $1.99!

As far as wallpaper around windows, Cheryl, because my window trim is stained a dark brown, I used a colored marker (Michaels or any craft shop) that matched, and went around the edges of the window frame. That covered any raw wood or wallpaper. However, for my next project -- AHA -- I found this... http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cpNFymklFqM/TCGZ_z5HQmI/AAAAAAAALfQ/O14-Et9Kas8/s1600/SM2_9709.jpg

Don't ask me where I got it, I can't remember -- but I saved the image. See how the wallpaper was not trimmed away around the window, but will fold around the edge of the window! Clever, huh?

Oh, and by the way, every time I look around here, I'll remind myself that you guys just clean up like crazy before you take pictures ;-)!

If you're going to get crazy, Cheryl, this is the place to let it all out!!! i think we're all a little nuts, or else we wouldn't be here.

Kathie and Holly -- you are just brilliant! Why didn't I think of using a toothpick. I bought those glue syringes (they look like hypodermic needles) and they do give a nice fine line, but it's still too much glue! Oh, well, next time. I'm making curtains now for the tower windows and the kitchen bay, which I'll put up before putting those pieces in place.

Instead of paying (something like) $7.99 for a dollhouse curtain rod (yup, believe it), I bought these 1/8" round dowels at Michaels and found a box of wooden beads to use at the ends. The dowel is 36" and cost all of $1.99!

As far as wallpaper around windows, Cheryl, because my window trim is stained a dark brown, I used a colored marker (Michaels or any craft shop) that matched, and went around the edges of the window frame. That covered any raw wood or wallpaper. However, for my next project -- AHA -- I found this... http://2.bp.blogspot...00/SM2_9709.jpg

Don't ask me where I got it, I can't remember -- but I saved the image. See how the wallpaper was not trimmed away around the window, but will fold around the edge of the window! Clever, huh?

Oh, and by the way, every time I look around here, I'll remind myself that you guys just clean up like crazy before you take pictures ;-)!

you are so funny Mandy! that is a good idea to put the paper around the inside, but I wonder if it is hard to get it to stay...........well tacky glue would work huh? How do you put up your curtain rods without having to buy expensive brackets? `My other houses I just glued them to the wall............but then maybe that isn't so bad, I mean it isn't like we are going to take them down often........

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from miniatures.com (my favorite online store... in fact, since they have a wishlist, I decided that when the house is done, I'm going to have a house-warming party, and give everyone who wanted to be kept up to date, the url -- just like a bridal registry, you know???)

Anyway, in that package, which I haven't even opened yet, is some channel molding. I'm going to cut out, like 1/4" pieces and attach them, open side up, like the shape of the letter U, to the window molding, and set the dowels right into them.

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from miniatures.com (my favorite online store... in fact, since they have a wishlist, I decided that when the house is done, I'm going to have a house-warming party, and give everyone who wanted to be kept up to date, the url -- just like a bridal registry, you know???)

Anyway, in that package, which I haven't even opened yet, is some channel molding. I'm going to cut out, like 1/4" pieces and attach them, open side up, like the shape of the letter U, to the window molding, and set the dowels right into them.

wow Mandy that is a perfect idea!! thanks!

...every time I look around here, I'll remind myself that you guys just clean up like crazy before you take pictures ;-)!
I don't clean up when I take pictures, since I take lots of "during" pictures in order to show what I've done, along with the description of how I did it, so I crop the worst of the mess when I resize the picture.