I just bought a dremel!

ladybug324

So we went to a hobby shop today so I can see if they carry sheets of plywood or basswood (for the October swap) and also to see if I might be able to find some items that I can use or want.

We were looking at the tools display and my boyfriend points out a dremel to me (I had told him a little bit of my idea for the swap) and said I should get that. I said, "What is a dremel???" :lol:

Once he explained it to me, I was like YES! This is what I need, especially if I'm going to start making my own mini furniture and whatnots. Well the dremel at this hobby store was a bit pricey, so he suggested we go to Lowe's and see what they have there.

And YAAAAY!!! :) I bought a very nice dremel stylus with some extra carving and cutting bits to start using to make mini furninture!! WOOHOO!!!! I'm so excited now, I can't wait to get started!

Sheesh, what am I going to do??? Work on my dollhouse, or work on making furniture? I can't wait to get started on making the minis for the swap.

I bought a couple sheets of basswood and plywood just to use to learn on and try which wood I like best.

Great choice, Brenda, you won't be sorry!! :)

My dear Brian bought me a Dremel to use when I was renovating my Beacon Hill. I LOVE IT!! It's the best tool ever invented. In fact, I just used the drill bits the other day to make holes for lighting!! I'm also going to get the saw attachment . . . it would have come in very handy for slicing of the window bay to make room for the conservatory!! :lol:

Hi Brenda

You're going to Love your Dremel!! I've got several of them - my good cordless just went on the fritz so I replaced it with the cheaper version but I'm planning to get another more powerful one when I can afford it. I've got some regular ones too. It is by far my favorite power tool! As to which to do.. furniture.. house.. furniture - decisions decisions :) That's the cool thing about minis you can do both! I've been finding that when building houses I have time I have to wait.. while glue dries etc - perfect time to work on other projects like furniture :(

Congratulations on what I'm sure will be one of the best purchases you ever made :lol:

-David

I love my Dremel, too (wrote about it here a week or so ago -- I bought the new Dremel stylus)

I didn't know until just recently that Dremel made small versions, and even small battery versions! My husband has 2-3 Dremels -- the big kind, heavy, with this cord you have to drag around. He was extolling their virtues for years, and certainly when I started my dollhouse, now two years ago. He lent me one of his -- and I found it awkward and clumsy and didn't use it.

If I would have had one of the smaller lighter versions, I would have found good use for it LONG ago. I love mine, now!

Sheesh, what am I going to do??? Work on my dollhouse, or work on making furniture?
I have the SAME problem. I want to work on everything right NOW. I've gotten to the point where I've put myself too much out there with projects, housework and personal obligations that I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to do. I had to start making "project lists". Funny, but stressful! LOL

I'm also going to get the saw attachment . . .
I was looking into that myself might put it on the list of birthday or Christmas presents I want, but then if I had it NOW I could probably find LOTS of uses for it!

My olny problem that I have a "no name" brand "dremel" and an older version Dremel. I think its time to upgrade to the Stylus and find the tools to fit it! :lol:

Everybody sing!!!

Dremel, dremel, dremel,

It's fun to spin and grind.

My husband has to get his own,

Coz this one's mine all mine!!!

ROTFLMHO!!! Couldn't be more true!! :lol:

Oh, I hate to burst people's bubbles, but the saw attachment, unfortunately does not fit the stylus. I was going to get the saw attachment too, but the side of the stylus box said that it can be used with all accessories, but none of the attachments. :lol: Well...hopefully I'm wrong, though. Maybe there is a way around it?

So I got the stylus mainly for the detail work, sanding, etc. Plus it is lightweight, easy to hold (almost like a pen) - compared to the other dremels I tried out at the store.

Oh, I hate to burst people's bubbles, but the saw attachment, unfortunately does not fit the stylus. I was going to get the saw attachment too, but the side of the stylus box said that it can be used with all accessories, but none of the attachments. :lol: Well...hopefully I'm wrong, though. Maybe there is a way around it?

So I got the stylus mainly for the detail work, sanding, etc. Plus it is lightweight, easy to hold (almost like a pen) - compared to the other dremels I tried out at the store.

Boy, do I have lots to learn. So...what is the difference between "accessories" and "attachments"??

I used my son's Dremel to make door holes larger, cut out windows and sand pieces. I never used a Dremel before but now am planning to ask for my own for Christmas. I loved the time it saved me on my project. What Dremel type do others recommend for working with miniatures? My son's has a cord, is powerful, but large in my hands. Do the cordless ones work just as well? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Brenda, fyi, there are little thingys (notice my technological term...can't remember their names) but they are the parts where the dremel attachments fit in, kind of like a little mouth that you can tighten on each piece...well, you can find those in different sizes, so that just about anything will fit your Dremel. See if you can find them, and you'll be in business!

I own 4 dremel rotary tools...one mini-mite even though it wears a Craftsman label, a fairly old 260 with separate speed control on hte drill press stand, and 2 395s one usually permanently attached to the flex shaft. I cant live without them for mini work and household chores up to and including sharpening the lawnmower.

Other Dremel tools are my #580 Table Saw ideal for mini work and the disk/belt sander. I also have the D-Vise and tool holder a wonderful little machinists vse.

Look around for the Black&Decker mini workmate a bench top micro size workmate. I found mine to be great for mini work as well. Try rummage sales garage and estate sales

Ed

:lol: That little tool you got will help you out on lots of stuff I have wore out one in my life I build 1/4 scale

model planes too. So I have a few other tools we can use here too.You may want to add a small bandsaw next.

So many tools can be use for building.Good luck !

Gotta consider a Stylus, great for fine work methinks. I also recommend something with POWER! a 2 amp rotary tool is a killer, mine's a Black and Decker, and you can drill through the side of a tank with it (don't try, the military gets really mad).

I used my son's Dremel to make door holes larger, cut out windows and sand pieces. I never used a Dremel before but now am planning to ask for my own for Christmas. I loved the time it saved me on my project. What Dremel type do others recommend for working with miniatures? My son's has a cord, is powerful, but large in my hands. Do the cordless ones work just as well? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Sharon Iv'e heard this new stylus dremel is the thing to have. Ihaven't tried one yet but I think the next time I get some money together I may buy it! I've had the corded dremels and they are big but you can get a pencil type attachment . Often the big dremels will come with a stand and an attachment so you just hold a smaller head or wand looking thing which is about the size of a pencil - the bad part is that it still attached to the big dremel by a flex shaft.. in fact that's what the part is called a Flex Shaft - I can't belive I had forgotten that! My preference though is the cordless. Even the smallest cordless dremel is strong enough to do most jobs and being just under $20 they're really reasonable to give a try with. I really like the bigger models of cordless but the small models work really well too. - I had one of the small $20 ones used it for 2 or 3 years with never even a hic-up and I used it constantly had two batteries to switch off with so I could be using one and charging one at the same time. I finally wore out the battery charger but that little guy got daily use and I More than got my money's worth out of it!

I'd say to out to some place that carries several models of Dremels like Sears - even Walmart carries them - they should have open displays that you can pick up and hold and see what feels best in your hand :lol: I'm a huge fan of Dremel brand moto-tools. I've also got a corded Sears model - it's nice but I really prefer the Dremel brand and the cordless. :lol:

Hope this helps some,

David

Brenda, fyi, there are little thingys (notice my technological term...can't remember their names) but they are the parts where the dremel attachments fit in, kind of like a little mouth that you can tighten on each piece...well, you can find those in different sizes, so that just about anything will fit your Dremel. See if you can find them, and you'll be in business!

It's a collet ;) and yep they come in several different sizes and they're really reasonable to buy - even Harbor Frieght has them but any place that sells Dremel or moto-tools will carry them

-David :D

I started out with the Dremel 7.2 Multipro cordless but it didn't have a lot of power for heavy work and I wound up borrowing my husband's old standby. It does what I needed but it has a cord and and I found it difficult to handled for long periods. I then got the Lithium ion cordless which I love. I wanted the XPR Multisaw that was mentioned earlier but also found it would not fit any of the Dremels we already had. It will only fit on the 400XPR. I mentioned it to my dh and bless his heart, he was in Home Depot during a clearence of display models and they had an XPR missing some parts. He got it for 55% off and he added the multisaw as well. I had all the missing parts among my others so I am one happy camper!

I'm a huge fan of Dremel brand moto-tools. I've also got a corded Sears model - it's nice but I really prefer the Dremel brand and the cordless. ;)

Hope this helps some,

David

Thanks David for all the information on Dremel types. I think I will head to my nearest store to try out different types in my hands. I didn't know I had so many choices.