New at miniatures/dollhouses...

ladybug324

Hi everyone,

I am new at dollhouses. I recently bought The Pierce kit and just started working on it. I have one sheet missing and so I'm stuck at step 3 for now, but I thought I could use this opportunity to find out if you any of you could offer a newbie some advice/pointers/suggestions. Any kind of pointers would be helpful and much appreciated. It doesn't have to be specific to The Pierce kit either, but those suggestions would be appreciated as well. :)

In particular, I do have a few specific questions that I've been pondering:

1. Type of glue to use?

I've read a lot of books and it seems everyone has a different opinon on this. The Greenleaf instructions says use hot glue, which I started when I made my base. But another book strongly recommended against it. Help?

2. Clamping/masking tape?

Okay, so if I use glue other than a hot glue gun, how do you use clamps and masking tape? (I feel stupid for asking this question, but I've seen many of your photos-in-progress and have seen masking tape used as clamps?) I first tried using a wood glue before I tried the hot glue on my base and it was so frustrating! It wouldn't stick!

3. Wallpapering / flooring / painting / etc....

Okay so books I have read offer different opinions on this as well. What is easier - to wallpaper as you prepare your parts/walls, or to wallpaper when the house is complete?

4. Tape wire vs. round wire

Again I read books that offer different opinions on using tape wire vs. round wire. Opinions? Suggestions?

I'm sorry if these questions are redundant and have been posted in previous threads already. I truly value any input/help you can give me. Even links to helpful sites or suggested reading materials. I have bought so many books and tried to devour them all!! (Well not literally...) :D I even started a subscription to Dollhouse Miniatures. I just want to learn as much as I can!

Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Welcome!

I'm fairly new to the hobby as well, but I can offer my opinon/experiences regarding glue and tape/clamps. I've never used hot glue, despite what the directions say - it doesn't bond wood very well, and I've heard from others that sometimes comes apart down the road. I use tacky glue, and a heavy duty artist's tape to hold while the glue dries (masking tape is fine too). It can be frustrating, but in the end you'll likely be better off. Clamps are very useful, because they hold those difficult pieces tighter than tape for a cleaner fit.

As far as finishing the house (wallpaper, flooring, etc.), there's really no right or wrong answer. I prefer to do it when the house is done so that everything fits as it should and I can take the opportunity to cover any mistakes. I would suggest dry fitting the house by taping or clamping the shell parts together so you can identify any areas that might be too difficult to get to when the house is complete.

welcome!!!!!!

I made the mistake of not wallpapering before I put the house together!!!!

If you paint its not a problem

I dont know much about wiring

I used masking tape for the walls where clamps couldnt be used

You will have fun in here as this is a bunch of GR8 peeps!!!!

I am a picture hound so please some pics????

Wen

Welcome to the forum Brenda!! You'll find as many different answers here as there are members, but here's my favorites:

I use Elmer's Probond Interior/Exterior Wood Glue . . . I LOVE this stuff!! I use it on practically everything, except wallpaper. Hot glue won't hold up on your wood over time and the only place we've used it is on our shingles and of course, my crafty items.

I use regular old masking tape as clamps. You can cut it to the size you need and it's easy to maneuvre. I do have some clamps which I use on smaller things, like gluing a 1X1 to the underside of the base of my houses.

Wallpapering is totally your choice and I've done it both ways, but really I like to paper AFTER I have the house together. That way I can overlap the paper by 1/2 an inch on the opposite wall, overlay my other piece and have no joints showing. I usually make templates first, that way everything is perfectly fitted (or as close to perfect as I can get it)! :) I usually always prime with any household primer before I wallpaper or paint . . . it gives a nicer finish and getting the wallpaper off at a later date is a lot easier should you change your mind (which I do often)!! I usually use Americana or DecoArt acrylic paints, but again, the choices are endless.

As far as wiring, I really like tape wire and have a blast installing it. It's fairly easy and works like a charm. There is an excellent tutorial by Darrell here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...d=sc&cat=28 I wouldn't have attempted lighting if it weren't for Darrell's tutorial. He makes it look so easy!! :D I did use round wire also on my Beacon Hill so that I could have separate switches for all the lights, but I don't think I'd do it again . . . way too much work!!

Well, hope that helps you out a little. Good luck and keep us posted!! And, we love eye candy, so share pictures with us!! You may not be able to blog yet, but you can set up an album in the "Gallery"!

thank you so much everyone for your suggestions. i was pretty excited (well, still am) to get started on my dollhouse, but scared also. i just want to make sure it is done right...i'm a perfectionist. :)

i started using shellac to seal my pieces, as per the Greenleaf instructions. but on another thread someone told me that really isn't necessary these days, that most people just put together their house first, then use a primer (like in a spray can), which makes is faster to put the house together.

i've been sanding each part and sealing it first. oh well.

Yeah, that's not really necessary. If you're planning on staining your floors DON'T shellac or prime them (you probably know that already, but just in case)!

A lot of people use spray primer, it's quick and dries fairly fast.

Brenda, I honestly (shhh . . . don't tell anybody) don't sand! :D Well, only those parts that might really need it . . . like an edge which is all 'hairy'. I usually prime AFTER the house is together. That way I can tell where I need to prime and where I really don't. Some people like to prime everything, but if I'm applying siding or stucco or some such thing, what's the point? That's just my preference though!! :)

teeheehee... :)

teresa, you crack me up. :D

i guess i was doing overkill. i'm glad to find out now when i'm just starting out rather than later. :D and i guess that's true, if you're going to cover it up anyways with stucco or siding, why sand it?

i have found though that it's good to sand and prime before you paint something. i get a smoother finish that way.

(SSHHHH)

I do a minimum of sanding myself.

the main part of the house rarely needs much. and once its all glued together who can tell you didnt?

I mean if ya got bug chunks or splinters than plzz sand....but I find I "need" to sand mostly when doing trim

nice emory board and Im all set.

I also use aileens tacky glue for most all of my miniature projects including the dollhouses.

I have expanded to include wood glue for applying paperclay.

as for most things in life ....for how many miniaturest there are in this forum that is how many ways there are to do one thing...it boils down to what works for YOU.

looking forward to some photos!

nutti :)

Hi Brenda! Builders have as many different styles as cats have personalities. :) I agree with everyone that you'll find the way that works best for you as you go. I do my wallpapering before building but that's just what works best for me. I'm in awe of those who paper after it's built because I just can't get my hands to coordinate in small spaces all that well. I also do a minimum of sanding except for the edges that are exposed. (except for sanding varnishes surfaces in between coats of varnish........that's a high gloss look that's worth the effort) I do prime everything that's not going to be stained tho, especially any surface that's going to be wallpapered. Wallpaper glue gets sucked up into unprimed wood and the paper will peel right off.

The second house I built was the Pierce. You're just going to love building that house!! She's a real beauty and and a joy to build. If it would help you at all, I've got lots of pictures taken of the building steps of my Pierce in my webshots album at: http://community.webshots.com/album/487298026YhConX

Deb

Hi Deb,

Thanks for posting the link to your photos of the Pierce. Wow, you did such an amazing, beautiful job on it!! I noticed that you used a curved staircase instead (rather than the one that came with the kit)?

I'm working on putting together the staircase right now.

I think also, that it would seem easier to do the wallpapering before you build. But right now I simply can't decide on what color schemes to use. I really don't have any furniture yet, nor wallpaper or paint or any other finishing touches like that. I would like to have furniture that matches the interior decorating, you know? So I don't know if I should buy furniture first or the finishing elements first?

Ah, so many things to consider! :)

Yes, hot glue doesn't work very well. I found Aileen's glue in a craft store -- there are two varieties, a "thick" and a "regular" and I found they work well almost everywhere. I used the "thick" for the foundation and structural pieces (like walls, and roof) and thin everywhere else, even watering it down a bit and using it to glue in the wallpaper.

Wallpapering before construction worked for me, primarily because -- at least in the Garfield -- there are lots of corners and angles that seem impossible to reach, now that the house is constructed.

I sanded everything. And am re-sanding some of it again, as I'm at the window-fitting stage and there are lots of rough edges that seem to have "sprung up" where they weren't there before :) And I primed everything. As someone said, unprimed wood really soaks up wallpaper paste (or glue) or paint. I didn't prime in a couple of places and found I had to then give everything a second, and even third coat of paint. I could get by with just one coat on those areas already primed (or a second coat, in some cases).

If you look to the left of the posting area, and find the member's name, many of us have galleries here where you can see our houses, some finished, some in progress.

As for masking tape: I love the blue "painter's tape". It holds well when it has to -- and peels off easily, particularly if it "lands" where it's not supposed to, like on a "window", or on the wallpaper.

As for wallpaper: I found lots of "wallpaper" in the section of the craft store for "scrapbookers". It was significantly cheaper. I wallpapered my house 2 years ago, prior to construction, and so far it seems to have held up well.

I didn't wire my house. Maybe next time...

I didn't wire my house. Maybe next time...

I didn't wire my Garfield either because I was new at this and started before I even found this site. :) If I had found Darrels instructions on wiring in the beginning I would have electrified it. However, I did add electric with round wire so I do have lights in the living room, dining room, kitchen and 3 bedrooms. Even have a lamp-post on the outside. I was able to "hide" the wires along the base and with the furniture you can't even see it. Also ran wires down along the edges and plan to cover them with some kind of molding. Next house will be wired with tape wire for sure.

I started using Gorilla glue, which I find works excellent. But I have to be careful of not using too much of it because the glue expands into a very hard foamy consistency to about 3-4 times its original glue consistency. And I bought painter's tape the other day and started using it for clamping. You're right, it works very nicely! :D

Now that I've started on my dollhouse, I know my mind is going to be on it for most of the day when I'm at work! I'll be yearning to return to it!

Which reminds me! I have to call Greenleaf about that missing sheet...

:)

Hi Brenda & welcome to the forum..

This thread reads like true confessions :)

The Garfield is a lovely kit and I'll look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Wiring, especially tape wiring, is surprising simple and you shouldn't be afraid to go for it. Lighting really adds a lot to your house. Whether you use roundwire or tapewire is really a personal preference; I've used both and prefer the tape but lots of other people prefer the roundwire. Let me just say that I've never had a problem with either and I just find tapewire simpler to install. It always works for me and I know absolutely nothing about electricity so don't let lack of knowlege stop you :D

Hope the gorilla glue works for you but that whole expanding thing is a problem if it expands beyond your join -- the stuff is almost impossible to sand down. :D Good luck with that. I would personally use a good wood glue (like Elmers) which pretty much stays where you put it.

What a lot of great information in this thread! Thanks for asking the questions, Brenda. It's good to hear what everybody else does or doesn't ... and reassuring to know that it mostly boils down to common sense and personal preference. And one thing I've learned here is that there is NO problem that can't be overcome with a little ingenuity and a fair amount of tape ... :)

BTW, Brenda ... any pictures to share yet? We love to see works in progress ... any step of the process!!

Hi Brenda and welcome!

I'm new too and please consider pre-painting your stairs before building, I wish that I had!

I love my HOT glue gun! Beware if you go that route, it is Permanent!! Make sure before glueing. I hold the pieces together before glueing just to be sure.

:)

I've also pre-painted all of my trim. (door, window, roof, etc) to save some detailed work later, but I'll still have to paint the edges of those pieces...Waiting for pics...

This thread reads like true confessions :)

:D hahaha :D "Confessions of a Self-Proclaimed Dollhouse Miniatures Addict" Sounds like a riveting documentary. What secrets lurk behind those dollhouse walls???? teehee :D

I've been taking pictures, only have a couple worth sharing. I just need to upload them and post. As soon as I get the energy. I'm so tired today! I think working on my dollhouse till the wee hours in the morning this past weekend just zapped me! :lol: But it's okay, it was worth it!!

Yes, this has turned out to be very informative. I love everyone's input/suggestions/advice. And eager to hear more!! :D

BTW, Brenda ... any pictures to share yet? We love to see works in progress ... any step of the process!!

Yes! I just uploaded a couple to my very first album! Yay! These photos show how far I've gotten to far. Not very far yet, but it's a start! :)

Woo Hoo :) Now you have a gallery! Please keep adding pictures, we love to see the progress. The stairs are a bit of a pain and yours are coming along great!

Hi Brenda..Welcome. Your stairs are looking good! I am fairly new at this too and I have found that when nothing else works, contact cement! It smells, it's a little messy, but it works! and you don't need to clamp. I ended up using it on the bay window of my orchid after the elmer's failed.

post-251-1155640639_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm, contact cement? That sounds like a good idea, thank you for the suggestion! :p

Thanks everyone for the compliments of my stairs, it's good to know I'm on the right path. I was a little freaked last night and today that I did something wrong, but Deb helped me out a lot (in another thread).

You guys are wonderful! I'm glad that I found this place.

:lol: