Accessories...How On Earth?

Merry

i have collected minis for more than 10 years now.

it is a kind of a mix and match collection.

i have bought some more expensive stuff and some real cheap, and i have made several things myself.

when i look at a room it is never the case that everything in it is to my liking so i dont mind that.

i do try to give the very cheap miniatures my own twist by doing some painting or so.

and, allthough i can drool when seeing a masterpiece, for me it is more the athmosphere in a room that causes me to love or dislike a room.

i keep a journal and write down everything i buy for my dh, where i bought it and the price i payed for it.

that is because the dh wil be my daughters' one day.

but i never add it up or even look through the journal, i think i would have a heartattack seeing how it added up.

after spending too much on minis once, i have used a rule never to spend more on a 1:12 mini than i would spend on it 1:1, and that helped me keeping

things in perspective.

i guess :thumb:

i have collected minis for more than 10 years now.

it is a kind of a mix and match collection.

i have bought some more expensive stuff and some real cheap, and i have made several things myself.

when i look at a room it is never the case that everything in it is to my liking so i dont mind that.

i do try to give the very cheap miniatures my own twist by doing some painting or so.

and, allthough i can drool when seeing a masterpiece, for me it is more the athmosphere in a room that causes me to love or dislike a room.

i keep a journal and write down everything i buy for my dh, where i bought it and the price i payed for it.

that is because the dh wil be my daughters' one day.

but i never add it up or even look through the journal, i think i would have a heartattack seeing how it added up.

after spending too much on minis once, i have used a rule never to spend more on a 1:12 mini than i would spend on it 1:1, and that helped me keeping

things in perspective.

i guess :thumb:

Oh Gerda, you and I must be twins separated at birth! You think exactly how I think about minis. I've saved every receipt so my granddaughter will know she needs to take care of the house (but I don't look at them, and I certainly haven't added them up!). I also feel the same way in that I want each of my rooms to be more than just a room full of minis.

I know. B)

Merry, I love using ebay for this...even if you don't buy on ebay,its a great way to window shop and get ideas. Manorhouse also has a store there. What I do is search undr the category ' dollhouse miniatures' ,then as a sub search I type in porcelain, or just pink...I've found so many cool interesting things that way,things I wouldn't have otherwise seen. And I make wish lists....lots and lots of wish lists:)

Merry, I love using ebay for this...even if you don't buy on ebay,its a great way to window shop and get ideas. Manorhouse also has a store there. What I do is search undr the category ' dollhouse miniatures' ,then as a sub search I type in porcelain, or just pink...I've found so many cool interesting things that way,things I wouldn't have otherwise seen. And I make wish lists....lots and lots of wish lists:)

Thank you, Karin. I have shopped on ebay, and am usually happy with my purchases. For my large house it will need sooo many accessories. I have enough accessories to get by, and say my house is finished. Then, I could buy a couple of accessories every month until it's truly finished.

Oh yes! Wish lists! I have have many! :thumb:

My house, which is large, is mostly finished but lacking the small accessories to make it a home.

It seems to me, the cost of the little things can really add up ($$$$$!). :thumb:

How do you get all the accessories (to scale) without owning your own dollhouse shop?

Enquiring minds want to know! B)

Gotta go with Manor House Mini's, they have a weekly sale with items discounted to as much as 76% off. I always find really good items for under a dollar. Sign up for their mailing list and you'll get the weekly sale items every Sunday. They also have scratch and dent items that usually only need a touch of glue or a swipe of stain as well as discontinued items.

Toothpaste Putty

Ingredients:

•1 tablespoon glue

•2 tablespoons cornstarch

•1/2 tablespoon water

•1/2 tablespoon toothpaste (NOT GEL)

•1-2 drops of food coloring (optional)

Directions:

Mix glue, cornstarch, food coloring and toothpaste together in a small bowl. Add water and stir until the mixture turns into a clump of putty. Toothpaste putty must be used quickly. It will begin to harden in 25 minutes and will be completely dried in 24 hours.

Items can be glazed with nail polish to give them a pottery/porcelain look.

In the pinned topics at the top of this forum there's lists of DIYs, and in the book review topic there are several DIY books reviewed. If you can get your paws on anything by Helen Ruthberger, you can fill a house! She also had a recipe for bread dough clay in one of her books.