Beacon Hill Conservatory

MiniMadWoman

Deb, yes I'll blog the process. I'm going to start today since Brian will be pilfering the Orchid to finish the shingling. I have to clean it out and I think I'm going to do some repairs to the lighting and finish the wallpapering and some other minor things I've been wanting to get to . . . oh, and take out the kitchen window bay. I figured it would be easier to work with the house before I add on the conservatory. Then it's full steam ahead! Should have it done by the end of the weekend (best case scenario!). :lol:

I try to 'come clean' before I make a BIG purchase . . . softens the blow a little . . . and I say things like "it would make a great anniversary, birthday, Christmas present (I'm now about two-three years ahead on that one) or "you know I've been so good lately" or "look how much weight I've lost"!! Any or all of these have worked!! :D Of course, when I reach the bottom of the well, well that's a whole other story!! :lol:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isnt hard to tear up something you worked so hard on?

but the conservatory will just make the house perfection!

I am looking forward to see it on the house and decorated on the inside.

lots of plants? wicker furniture?

hot tub? breakfast nook?

oooo I cant wait to seeee

nutti :lol:

Thanks everyone! Yes, Nutti, it's extremely hard, Brian had to cover his eyes (I think he was sobbing behind them) and screaming "but it's your pride and joy"!! :)

Anyway, this weekend I got the window bay off, Brian built the base, I did a shopping run for some much needed supplies and in the next few days we'll be attaching the conservatory to the house! Brian is going to bolt the conservatory to the house so we can take it apart when necessary. I'll be blogging, so don't worry, there will be pictures!! :D

As if this weren't enough, I decided to repaper some rooms and do some lighting repairs and add a door in the kitchen . . . well, you know how renovations go . . . they seem to sprout wings and take off!!

I usually don't think it's possible to improve on perfection, but in your case, I know anything you do to the BH will come out great. Sounds like some major renovations are going on, but I'm sure Miss Pennethorne will be understanding about having a little construction going on. She's such a gracious lady about things like that. And I'm sure she'll be delighted with the new addition.

Deb

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!! :D

Deb, Miss Pennethorne unfortunately has taken on more than she bargained for!! :) She thought she was getting a conservatory addition and it's ending up being a whole house remodel! I think she's regretting not taking up the chance to go on holiday for a month or two, instead insisting on staying around to "watch over things"!! :D She doesn't trust that general contractor!! :D

Alas, I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped (or planned) over the weekend. I've posted a new blog entry which brings me up-to-date. Hope you enjoy! :D

<dashing to Miss Pennethorne> Oh, you poor darling! <fanning her gently and holding smelling salts under her delicate nose> Oh my goodness. Oh my. Oh dear. I think I'm having a touch of the vapors myself just looking at the state of the Beacon Hill right now.

Teresa, I feel like Brian looks! All those piles of wallpaper shreds. Oh dear. <deep breath>

Wow! You weren't kidding about making some major renovations! But it's going to look wonderful when you're done. The conservatory is just a beautiful addition to the house and getting all the wiring worked out now is a great idea. But you're a whole lot braver than I am to take a crowbar to your house like that. Lady, you got guts!

<putting elbows on the desk and resting chin in hands> So, what are your plans for the new wallpaper going in? Have you made your selections yet? I loooooooooove the decorating part and you have exquisite taste so I can't wait to see what you do with it. Are you going to be adding some new furniture at the same time?

BTW, if Miss Pennethorne gets a plane ticket in the mail, don't ask questions. Just quietly pack her bags and send her off to The Baths. The poor thing will feel so much better after a fortnight on the seaside.

Deb

Your BH and the conservatory addition is just breathtaking. Can't wait to see the finishing results. You have given me courage to maybe change some wallpaper in my Garfield that I wasn't exactly crazy about. Too dark. It's hard to rip out what you work so hard on. Pondering that thought...... :) And I thought I was almost done....never done right? :D

WOW! I just read your updated blog. You are so brave! But it's totally worth the risk, the conservatory is beautiful, and it will make your already georgeous house even more so! I love the floor you made. Thanks for the inspiring photos.

Thanks everyone! Deb, as always, you kill me!! :D I think the Baths would be a far cry to where she's staying right now . . . on top of my antique sideboard along with all of her belongings . . . not very dignified for such a refined lady!! :lol:

I do have the wallpapers picked out! I'm going to be installing them in a day or so. I want to get the lighting done and stucco the ceilings and then I'll be papering. I'm not adding any furniture at this time . . . my furniture and accessories budget has all gone to Mother Goose's house! It will take some time before I get the BH furnished and accessorized exactly the way I want it . . . but then, that's the fun of it . . . isn't it? :p I did buy a picture on eBay the other day though . . . it was of pink tiger lillies and I just had to have it!

Irene, GO FOR IT! There's nothing worse than living with wallpaper you don't like. One way I've found to remove the wallpaper that seems to be working really well is I pour lots of Downy fabric softner into very hot water. It really helps to loosen the wallpaper and makes it easier to remove.

Jeri, the parlor carpet is a piece of upholstry fabric I got at a fabric shop. I have a BIG piece left over . . . if you give me some measurements and there's enough, I'd be very happy to send you some!! ;)

I pour lots of Downy fabric softner into very hot water. It really helps to loosen the wallpaper and makes it easier to remove.

and how do apply this?

spray?

and is the perk to this that your house will now smell downey fresh?

nutti :lol:

Nutti, ROTFLMHO!!!! :lol: Downy fresh indeed! :p

I peel off what paper I can and then apply the Downy solution with an old rag . . . I barely wring it out, wipe it over the paper really getting the paper soaked. Then I use a little blade tooly thing I have (you can use anything to scrape with) and remove the rest of the paper. It's just that easy! :D

<writing down the Downy tip> Teresa, I think you're the Martha Stewart of Minis. :lol: You just took an incredibly tedious and tiresome chore and made it perfectly easy and pleasant by combining aromatherapy with renovation!

Deb

Deb, I never thought of it that way!! :lol: Maybe that's why I'm always in a good mood despite tearing my house apart!! :p

Elaine, it is a vinyl floor tile that we got at Home Depot. It is a taupe color. I cut it to size and then cut in the stones with a utility knife. I believe Tracy did a tutorial on the method, but I can't find it just now. Help anyone?

Thanks for the offer to share the fabric, Teresa. I don't think it's quite right for my Arts & Crafts house, but at least I'll know to check upholstery fabrics. My parents own a small chain of furniture stores, so perhaps I can have Mom set aside discontinued samples for me to pick through next time I visit. Can't beat free!

It does feel good to help out other miniaturists. My coworker, Crystal, bought a Duracraft Madison just before they went out of business. Then the baby started walking and she never did put it together. Not that her son is old enough to entertain himslef for short periods, she wants to put it together. She masking taped together the pieces over the weekend, to make sure she had everything and that it fit. Thank goodness she has all pieces and instructions!

Last week we went to Miniatures From the Attic in Falls Church over our lunch break. She found some minis and wallpapers for 40% off. (I bought nothing--having been there three weeks before and spending wellover $200. My husband only asked why I didn't buy more since they were closing soon. God bless him!) Anyway, I got to see what Crystal's tastes were, so the next day I brought in some stuff from my wallpaper stash that I thought she would like. Crystal choose a pale blue and white pinstripe for her upper hall, and a blue and white Peter Rabbit print for her nursery. I had built three houses since buying those papers, and finally realized that I would never use them. It felt so good to give them to someone who loves them and will use them. I then showed her how to pull images off the internet and print them on fabric to make Peter Rabbit pillows and a crib set. We are psyched!

Jeri

No problem, Jeri! I think it's great that you are able to get upholstry pieces . . . and you're right . . . you can't be free!! :lol:

It's great to have someone to share in the hobby with. Other than the great people here, my friends and family aren't really into miniatures although they're supportive . . . although my sister said the other day if there was something more modern in the way of dollhouses, she might be interested . . . well, I jumped on the chance and showed her the Contempory Ranch by Real Good Toys and the Foxhall Manor, which she loved. So we'll see, maybe she will and maybe she won't (I'm rather hoping for will)!! :p

The Downy Trick also works with real wallpaper in your real house. When we moved here our walls were covered with no less then 7 layers of wallpaper per room! :lol:

Dap works but when you get into that level of stripping it didnt want to do it. Downy did the trick. Some of the rooms were so bad that we eventually had to just replace the sheetrock.

• 2 weeks later...
Deb, I never thought of it that way!! ;) Maybe that's why I'm always in a good mood despite tearing my house apart!! :lol:

Elaine, it is a vinyl floor tile that we got at Home Depot. It is a taupe color. I cut it to size and then cut in the stones with a utility knife. I believe Tracy did a tutorial on the method, but I can't find it just now. Help anyone?

Thank You very much I fell in love with the floor when I saw it it looks terrific.

Here is the Link Sorry for the delay!

Thanks Tracy!

Well, now that MG's house is done I'm back at the Beacon Hill. The contractors have been working overtime. I've added a new blog entry. Hope you enjoy!