Chicago's Fall Bishop Show

I went to the Fall Bishop show Yesterday because I wanted to sign up for the classes. Well, the show it self was WONDERFUL! There were a LOT of sellers there even from England.

I saw pictures of Rik Pierce's new cottage and I just LOVE it. The price is $680 this year :D and he is only accepting 12 students this year :lol: . I don't think I'll be able to afford it this year because we are moving and have a tight budget till we do :o . I am not sure which ones I am gonna sign up for. There are over things to sign up for but I only have pictures of some of them. Tom said he'll have them posted on his site in a couple of weeks. To see a few of them now, click on this picture below to view them:

2854750330037881673iOuPtA_th.jpg

Tracy, Check out whether & how much either Brian Long or David Betts is charging for their classes. Next to Rik Pierce if I had LOTS of independent wealth I'd like to take classes from them!

Or a doll scupt with James Carrington...

Tracy, Check out whether & how much either Brian Long or David Betts is charging for their classes. Next to Rik Pierce if I had LOTS of independent wealth I'd like to take classes from them!

Or a doll scupt with James Carrington...

I'm with you on wanting to take a doll sculpting class with Jamie! One of these days I'm going to just Do it - I just have to talk myself into getting on a plane to fly to get there. I've never been much of a traveller. I'd like to take one of Rik's classes too. I'm not big on the idea of having to travel to Chicago to do either one but I have a feeling that may one of the few optiongs - Chicago or Philly.

-David

David, I know how you feel. I don't like flying which is why I have not come to California yet for any shows

That's ok - it gives me one more reason to get on a plane.. or train <?> I hear our San Jose show is huge but I have a hard time believing it's better than the Tom Bishop show or the Philly Miniatura.. So lets see weve got

1. Take a James Carrington Class

2. Meet Tracy

3. Take a Rik Pierce Class

4. Shop! :D

:lol: -David

Well FWIW, this year for the first time ever I went to Tom Bishop's Chicago show :lol: . I had never flown alone, stayed in a hotel alone, or been to Chicago! I took the Guys from Texas half inch scale shop class, Barry Hipwell's introduction to marquetry inlay class and took the tour of the Krupjack studios and the Thorne rooms. My husband had to practically shove me out the door, I was so nervous to go alone! :D

But it was amazing! Everyone was so friendly! My only regrets are that I forgot my camera and that I didn't have cards made up to give out to new mini friends. I wish I could go again next year, but we're planning on our first house next year so the budget is too tight.

If you get the opportunity at all, go!

Marg it would be perfect to see you and Andrew there!! David, I know how you feel. I don't like flying which is why I have not come to California yet for any shows :D

I am going to start making plans in my mind to go to next years show. It would be fun to get to chicago (i've never been) and meet some of you guys! And enjoy shopping and the experience of a mini show! If i plan financially enough in advance I can go to a class!

The classes range from so many price ranges too. This year I think I will take 3 classes. The cheapest one I am doing is $50 :D

Sounds like a price i could manage :lol: How far out in advance do they list the classes? (and where do we find out info on the classes and show)? Is there usually enough time to get signed up for the classes you want? Do they fill up fast?

Rik's will fill up fast, he is only accepting 12 people next year and even at the price he is such an excellent teacher that I feel it's worth it. If youclick the picture above, you'll see some of the pictures of classes that will be offered. some fill up very fast and others don't. I say sign up for something that is in your budget and something you really like so that you'll feel good about taking it and not stressing.

Take a class that will teach you something new so you will walk away feeling the money was well spent. Lyn McEntire class fills up fast too (The one with the picture of the baby in the case that will be the first you see when youclick on the picture above) and it costs $150

Tom & Leni will post pictures of all classes next week when they get back home :lol:

I so want to go to a show. :lol: The nearest to me is the one in Denver in September. Mike and I talked about him getting laid over there for a couple of days. The kids and I would join him. It was a complicated plan. To many kinks to work out to be a relaxing mini vacation.

The show and classes and the SHOPPING are well worth the effort it takes to be there!

I wouldnt have missed it for anything!

good luck in getting to attend.

Tracy...which classes had you decided on?

fun fun fun

nutti :lol:

I'm very confused about this show. I was wondering when I read this how can a person take more than one class?.. aren't they all at the same time? - then I realized the show is 5 days long? Wow! So I thought I'd go to the Tom Bishop show web site and see what classes are offered but they don't have anything that I could find about the classes. How does anyone find out about the classes and sign up if there's no information about who's teaching what? The San Jose show doesn't have any classes this year that I'm really interrested in but at least I can find out what classes they'll have and who to contact to sign up for each one. I was hoping Rik would teach a class there since it's within driving distance but no such luck this year. The Tom Bishop show is far enough away I could really make some plans .. if there was any information

-David

I am thinking of Lyn McEntire's class, Pat Melvin Class (A girl with her dolly in a toy wicker bassinett and a 1/2" scale tudor cottage :lol:

David needs some coffee :lol: :lol: David they show the classes in the fall show before they go live with them online :lol: they will add the classes on there website next week when they get home :lol:

I have a list showing 70 classes they are gonna offer next spring :D The least expenisive one is a basket weaving class for $45

David needs some coffee :D :lol: David they show the classes in the fall show before they go live with them online :D they will add the classes on there website next week when they get home :D

I have a list showing 70 classes they are gonna offer next spring :lol: The least expenisive one is a basket weaving class for $45

Woohoo!! Thanks Tracy. I was wondering about that. I actually got sidetracked after that frustration (I frustrate easily :lol: ) and got looking at the Philly show for November.. it's really Really tempting - have you seen the 2 Rik pierce classes offered for that?.. they're a bit pricey but they're both AWESOME! I don't think either teaches the techniques I want to learn in paperclay (the block work that's giving me such a problem) but that Moroccan Marketplace is wonderful! And Jamie will be there.. the only problem is I think the classes may be on the same day... I should double check that. I was amazed that they seem to offer classes both the week before and the week after the show :D Wow :D How much fun would that be .. expensive :lol: but fun :lol: Before I try that though I think I'll wait to see about the Chicago show..

-David

That is the problem I have EVERY year I take Riks classes. His class is 3 days long which menas I can't take any other classes. That's why this year I think I will do a different class every day so that I can learn some new things and get some other projects I have been eyeing.

JC was at the Bishop show last year but it was a dressing class and he provided the doll blank which you paint at your own time I guess. It was very nice though to see him there :lol:

JC was at the Bishop show last year but it was a dressing class and he provided the doll blank which you paint at your own time I guess. It was very nice though to see him there

I sure wish we could talk him into doing a class in Calif.. though I have to say I don't blame him for not wanting to fly that far - it's a Loooong trip from England! But oh yea that's my dream class to take - Next year I'm gonna do it.. i just have to decide which one and get myself on board that plane!

-David :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

David, I see you live somewhere in California. Are you aware that every year Rik holds a couple of classes each at Shellies Miniature Mania in San Carlos and Larrianne's Small Wonders in Ventura. Rik lives in Visalia. If you get the chance to go to the International in Chicago jump at it (even if you have to drive). Last year was my first time and I am still drooling over it. The San Jose show is good but doesn't come anywhere close to comparison. But just in case you can't make it to Chicago or Philly shows and want to take a Rik Pierce class check out Shellie and Larrianne's websites for future classes. I believe they have all been completed for this year.

Valerie

California

oooooo there are some really nice workshops

but from what I saw last year

they pale in comparison

the art deco box...the open vegie stand with all the veggies

the HAT BOX which was to dream for!

nothing like those this year...to bad.

nutti :blink:

Yeah, last years projects were the Bomb! I will take a couple of classes next year and things always look better in person it seems. Last year I saw the pictures of the Hat box but it was not till I SAW it in person that I could not concentrate on my OWN class project (remember all three of us kept going over there looking at her stuff :blink: ).

Yeap, there were really some nice things..