Painting on Plastic

Adallae

Hello all,

I've seen some great pictures of stained glass windows in the gallery. What type of paint works best on plastic to minimize smudges, fading, chiping, etc? I'd like to stain some of the windows in my Glencroft, and maybe create a unique set of china using the plain white plastic plates I found at HBS.

Thanks for your help!

I've had good results with Gallery Glass paint (it's the kind you use for suncatchers) it becomes permanent after so many hours (I think 24). I've also printed the 'stained glass' on transparencies from my inkjet with good results. But others may have other ideas. Handpainted china sounds wonderful...wish I was that talented :o

I've used Gallery Glass too with much success. The nice thing about it too, if you don't like what you've done after it's dry, you can peel it off! :o

As I blogged when I made a "stained glass" window for the Arthur, I mixed a touch of acrylic paint with extender medium until it was diluted like watercolor and painted the design with it, I used black acrylic paint straight from the tube and applied it with a small "spotter" brush. So far the window still looks good. The clear nail polish is very good to get paint to adhere to the Chrysnbon polystyrene, I use primer but I haven't painted plates yet. The nail polish serves the same purpose, giving a "tooth" for the paint to adhere to.

Actually there's no real answer to your question, there are so many types of plastic, and all take different paints differently. The windows of Greenleaf houses are acetate, so a marker (like a Sharpie) is prolly your best bet, as paint prolly won't stick. If you want to paint, I'd suggest replacing the windows you want to stain with clear styrene, then use clear model paint (transparent). I think that would give you a much better look. You can buy clear styrene sheets at WalMart in the craft section.

want to stain with clear styrene, then use clear model paint (transparent). I think that would give you a much better look. You can buy clear styrene sheets at WalMart in the craft section.

Great idea Doogster! Now I am gonna try that way too. :o

I have used gallery glass for years. I have had no problems with it. You can also get liquid leading from the same maker.

A tip with the liquid lead: You can make lines on waxed paper, then let them dry, then peel them off and stick them on the glass or plastic. That way you can cut them to the sizes you want and not get a nervous tick from trying to make it perfect.

Toothpicks are your friend! :o Use them to spread you gallery glass out to the edges without using too much and having it run over your lines. Also toothpicks are good for popping any bubbles that form.

You should let your masterpiece dry overnight b4 even touching it. Especially in this humid weather it can take awhile to completely set and you dont want a fingerprint in your window.

Thanks everyone for your help! I'll try the gallery glass and printed transparencies first, and I'll post pictures of my attempts!