Speaking of Halloween

Charlene

Speaking of Halloween -- we were speaking of Halloween somewhere, weren't we? ;) My witch's cottage desperately needs expansion and I was just telling someone that I thought I'd add a brewing hut for Ms Putahexyona.

Well, we were at my husband's first cousin thrice removed and he has an entire field of gourds. Well, I was admiring them and thinking what delightful faerie cottages they would make when lo & behold he presented me with two that he had dried from last summer. Well, the smaller one is going to be a cute little birdhouse, but the large one is, I think, the perfect structure for a witch's brewing hut.

Here it is:

It's overall height is 17", it has a circumfrence of 24" and a diameter of 12" and the round part is just over 12" high -- Whaddya think? Is it perfect or what??? I'm so excited (I'm also, obviously, a very cheap date)

post-287-1154375068_thumb.jpg

Speaking of Halloween -- we were speaking of Halloween somewhere, weren't we?

why YES we were! I love to talk Halloween and I see exactly what you have in mind!

get on with it I can hardly wait to see it!

nutti ;)

Ditto what Nutti said.

I had saved for a long time (and since thrown away) an article from Martha stewart living about drying gourds and using them for bird feeders and bird houses.

I would love to see how you get it carved out!!

I might have to grow gourds next year...Hmmm!

The thin top part of the gourd would make an awesome chimney!

Ooo -- thanks -- I was going to put in a separate chimney, but you're right, the chimneys already there -- what an eye you have! ;)

Oh you guys are all wonderful-- DH's cousins just rolled their eyes and started talking to me in soothing tones -- total lack of imagination there. ;)

This is now. thanks to your encouragement, definitely on my ever-growing list (sports bar, castle, haunted swap, Fairfield, etc., etc.), :p but it'll be done for the Big Day (Witchee needs to have fresh potions in season, after all) and, of course, I will post pics of the great creation. :o

we grew gourds one year and the boys made bird houses out of a few of them.

but now I want to grow some for little Halloween scenes!

and the stem of the gourd is a perfect chimney!

I want one! lol

get to work gal...only 80 some days till Halloween!

nutti ;)

What an awesome idea Charlene!

We got some cookies in a cardboard "house box" from our lumber supplier (I work for a contractor) and they were going to throw the box away and I said WAIT!!!! It will make a perfect SOMETHING for my dollhouse. I am just fascinated by all the "unusual" ideas that come along that veer away from the standard dollhouses.

I can't wait to see what comes along in the Halloween & Christmas areas!

What an awesome idea Charlene!

We got some cookies in a cardboard "house box" from our lumber supplier (I work for a contractor) and they were going to throw the box away and I said WAIT!!!! It will make a perfect SOMETHING for my dollhouse. I am just fascinated by all the "unusual" ideas that come along that veer away from the standard dollhouses.

DH once came home from a yard sale where he spent $1.25 on a house-shaped wicker hamper which is wonderful for holding my old dollhouse magazines and a great little recipe box in the shape of the White House which still resides on my counter.

Always admire the scenes people make in containers of all sorts, but have never actually done one myself. The gourd is really just a odd-shaped house in my imagination. Keeping an eye out for a hollow log for the Wizard's tree. Bro-in-law found one but before I could stop him he cut the log up into bird houses -- which the birds, of course, love (they're constantly occupied :p ) but the wizard is still without lodgings :o

I was searching for that Martha Stewart article online and was unsuccessful, BUT I found these.

I am going to go thru and see what I can use for this year.

Wow -- had no idea they had that many Halloween things from Martha Stewart. I've bookmarked the site and I will have to settle in for a bit and see what all that stuff is and what I can use....just so long as I don't have to cook it, I love it ;) Thanks for the link!

thanks for the links! I found some witches finger cookies Im going to make for the party.

everyone has been called and are looking forward to coming to the party. I think everyone is ready for fall!

nutti ;)

Oh you guys are all wonderful-- DH's cousins just rolled their eyes and started talking to me in soothing tones -- total lack of imagination there. <_<

Doncha love that look! At least they don't pat you on the head. (if they ever do, give 'em an elbow in the ribs and they won't do it anymore)

Love the gourd idea!!! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Deb

Keeping an eye out for a hollow log for the Wizard's tree.

Make one! Grazhina's blog would make a great tutorial, you could make one from "scratch" instead of using a kit, like she did.

Isn't Martha's ideas great? She had a tutorial in a Christmas mag showing how to use pine cone shards for shingles on those little cardboard christmas houses that you put underneath the tree. I saved that article in that mag (like you Heidi I have it about somewhere!) and shingled my first primrose I built with pine cones that I dried and cut each by hand. Pine cone shingle shards would look great on the witches potion shack. And the little long thingy would make a crazy chimney, maybe put in a door to cook bat wings! ;)

Yes, you need to talk about Halloween. I have already started making my mini skeletons Nutti! One is a colonial lass, Lady de Bone-e. (get it? <_< Bone-y!) the 2nd one I am still working on, I'm really pleased with them. I am working on several spooky themed minis at this time in preparation for October.

Post the pics --would love to see!

Make one! Grazhina's blog would make a great tutorial, you could make one from "scratch" instead of using a kit, like she did.

;) Yes, Ma'am!!! :p We're looking for one -- they're not as common as one might think. DH says that the 2 dead trees we need to take out aren't hollow, but there's one that still gets green each spring that he says is hollow...I have no idea how he knows, so let's not even go there <_< At any rate, gotta wait for the tree and in this heat I'm not about to let him take trees down -- very, very sweaty work. B)

I followed Grazhina's treehouse & loved it!! The mousey looked so content, didn't she? Such well-furnished digs. :D

We already have some stuff for the 'stump' -- a celestory -- think that's what they're called. The thingees that they followed the stars with...you know what I mean. And some 'ancient' books. And of course Owl will be there too. Another project for my list: Sports Bar (coming right along thank you), Swap, Fairfield, Witch's Brewing Hut, Hollow log for wizard, Abbey, and on and on :(

shingled my first primrose I built with pine cones that I dried and cut each by hand. Pine cone shingle shards would look great on the witches potion shack. And the little long thingy would make a crazy chimney, maybe put in a door to cook bat wings! :p

Yes, you need to talk about Halloween. I have already started making my mini skeletons Nutti! One is a colonial lass, Lady de Bone-e. (get it? :D Bone-y!) the 2nd one I am still working on, I'm really pleased with them. I am working on several spooky themed minis at this time in preparation for October.

Post the pics --would love to see!

Lisa -- Do you have the pics of the Primrose posted? That roof sounds labor-intensive but I'll bet it's wonderful. I don't have pines, but I do have some sort of evergreens out behind the pond that drop cones all the time. Roofing Ms Putahexonya's hut with them would be a wonderful touch, wouldn't it? Thanks for the inspiration! :)