Metal Stairs

Charlene

Deer? One of our favorite campgrounds, especially in the "off" season (pre-snowbirds) is the Lake Point State Park N of Eufala, AL, on the west banks of the Chattahoochee. It abuts to a National Forest and the campground hosts put corn out for the resident deer and during hunting season they come congregate in the campground & state park, where hunting is off-limits! When we like to go the deer are mostly out in the surrounding woods, the hosts haven't come back from wherever they go in the summer, and we can usually get a site near the water to launch our kayak. Last time the deer decided our kayak was something they ought to watch over, and when we went out to paddle we had to shoo them away.

I lived in Virgina Beach for a few years and the first time I went to the grocery shopping I stopped at the deli and asked for chipped ham. They looked at me like I was crazy. As I was walking away,the clerk mumbled something about those damned tourists asking for weird stuff.

Here's another Pittsburgh quirk, Putting a chair out on the street after you shoveled your car out of the snow to save your place! Or leaving your change out on the bar at the corner saloon and being able to walk away knowing it will still be there when you come back.No other place I have ever been could you do that.

Holly it must have been a long time ago when you saw geese in Wilkinsburg, There aren't even many people who live there any more. That is a very dangerous part of town to be in now a days. My father used to work there and one day he was walking down the street going to work and the guy walking a head of him was shot and killed in a drive by.Dad retired shortly after that.

Deer are everywhere here. I have deer, turkeys, foxes and we have heard bobcats but never seen them, going through the yard every day.I've heard of coyote sightings but so far I haven't seen any.

it must have been a long time ago when you saw geese in Wilkinsburg,

When will we begin to see pictures of this Pittsburgh masterpiece? I've been thinking about the bar food you could make.

When will we begin to see pictures of this Pittsburgh masterpiece? I've been thinking about the bar food you could make.

Well, I took pics of the wiring last night and gave the thing a good coat of gesso so it's ready for it's 'personality'. I'm starting the floor today -- clay square tile in black & gold. Should have pics of that by tomorrow night.

I think the bar itself will have wainscoting with stucco above -- can't find a wallpaper that works and I'm terrible at computer-generated drawing, so little hope I can make my own -- so stucco it is. I'll do a small patterned stucco -- maybe use old terrycloth to do a pattern in it. What do you think of painting the wainscoting gold & using black trim for it? Will that be too much do you think?

That'll take some time (the wainscoting will, anyway). Also have to stain the little bar & back bar. And I'm going to try to build a little booth -- I have Kath Delmeny's book "Dollhouse Style" and she gives the directions for making one that is very realistic and I'll give that a try. And, of course, the TV needs building also.

I have a bowl of popcorn and a bowl of hard-boiled eggs for on the bar. Guess I'll need other foods too -- hamburgers? hot dogs? sandwiches? -- any thoughts you have will be appreciated on that score. I know I can make Fimo bread and buns, but how the heck to do french fries??? Maybe peanuts?

For the back bar I have some little liqour & wine bottles and I think I can get away with making glasses from plastic tubing...already have some filled beer steins and a pitcher of beer.

Confession time -- this is tough -- I've only been in a real bar twice in my entire life so I've really got to get my imagination moving here...my idea of a sports bar is probably closer to Applebys. :D

Smallhouset, I am very parking space territorial! That is a major pet peeve of mine and I try hard to overcome it. We are the only house on a small dead end street w/o a driveway. There is an apartment house also here and it`s backyard abuts our street. The renters (they come and go, uhaul in uhaul out) that have plenty of parking but they love to park in front of our house and leave US to park down the street!

When I shovel I put out a unused garbage can to say *HEY YOU! DONT PARK HERE! I BUSTED MY BACKSIDE SHOVELING!* Never have any trouble w/ someone snitching our freshly shoveled spaces but every year is a new adventure. Dh threatens that if someone parks in the space his wife just shoveled, he would go out and cover their car with the freshly cleaned up snow! LOL

Yes, I do the shoveling and dh doesnt. It isnt an issue! I love it for some queer reason. I used to go out as a kid and make money shoveling peoples walkways. Kids dont do that anymore. I didnt get told to do it, I just did!

It is funny. Here are all the guys huffing and puffing in the 0 degrees and I am out there with a big goofy smile on my face! I even have my own special shovel I bought for myself!

I have a bowl of popcorn and a bowl of hard-boiled eggs for on the bar. Guess I'll need other foods too -- hamburgers? hot dogs? sandwiches? -- any thoughts you have will be appreciated on that score. I know I can make Fimo bread and buns, but how the heck to do french fries??? Maybe peanuts?

No sports bar is complete without pizza and if it's from Pittsburgh you gotta throw in a Primanti Sammich. For those who don't know what a Primanti sammich is your choice of meat with frech fries, cole slaw, tomatoes, chesse, and onion on italian bread.

Only problem is how the heck would you actually make one of these in miniature :D:wacko: .

In the Tiny Treasures book I have it says you can make french fries from square yellow toothpicks and cutting the ends off, and bread from a flat sponge. Haven't tried it yet to see how "real" it may look. But its an idea.

Thanks Peggi. Maybe I'll play around with the toothpicks while the paint on the floor dries tomorrow. Maybe a touch of beigy brown paint on the edges? Hmmm. Let you know what happens. ;)

I forgot about adding a Primanti's sammich! I love them. But I haven't had one in a while.I don't think making one in minature would be to hard, they are so big in real life.Just make sure you have alot of napkins on the bar. They tend to be messy.

Charlene in this town you can never have to much black and gold, especially in a sports bar! This town bleeds black and gold. I've seen alot of people this week wearing team jerseys and its 90 degrees outside. Alot of places still have all of the super bowl decorations up. You can probably get some team pictures off the Steelers website for the walls. Make sure your TV's are big screen TV. You'll need at least two.

Charlene in this town you can never have to much black and gold, especially in a sports bar! This town bleeds black and gold. I've seen alot of people this week wearing team jerseys and its 90 degrees outside. Alot of places still have all of the super bowl decorations up. You can probably get some team pictures off the Steelers website for the walls. Make sure your TV's are big screen TV. You'll need at least two.

Actually, most of West Virginia is also black & gold territory -- will have a flat screen plasma (remember, this is a custom TV :p ) -- but only one, as this is a roombox, remember, and we have to get the bar in :p The floor is in the box, but not painted yet as my digestive system is not being agreeable and I've felt rotten since yesterday -- no, I'm OK, really, just so long as I don't eat ;) At any rate, perhaps tomorrow we shall have real progress on the decor.

Thanks to y'all for your encouragement or should I say "yins guys" instead of y'all? :o

I know about Primanti`s and I am from CT. I watched this PBS special that was all about sandwiches. Anyone else see that?

Learned about Primanti`s, Muffalettas from New Orleans,Chipped Ham, and this place I think was in chicago where this woman started her own business and it was bbq.

Okay now I am hungry!

What do you think of painting the wainscoting gold & using black trim for it? Will that be too much do you think?
In Pittsburg? Nah.

I've only been in a real bar twice in my entire life

You do what I did for my Glencroft pub. You go in bars "for research". Study the way the bars are made, what they look like, take measurements & notes. Buy something (even a soda) and the bar's owner may even be flattered when you tell him you're admiring his bar because you want to build one just like it in scale... It worked for me!

Primanti sammich is your choice of meat with frech fries, cole slaw, tomatoes, chesse, and onion on italian bread.

I understand the Crayola Model Magic makes very creditable bread. You could make your meat from polyclay and slice your cane razor-thin while it's warm, ditto your cheese slices & tomatos. You can do the french fries from the toothpicks or polyclay, and for the slaw you could shred & chop up tissue paper in different shades of green.

We never tried poutine when we were in French Canada, but came home and discovered chili fries!

:D Ooo, why didn't I think of research? Why? Because I live in a dry county!!!! Have to go over to Raleigh and check out the bars ;)

BTW Holly, I'm getting ready to spackle the bar walls...the floor is done & the bar is stained. What I thought I'd do is to use a fairly smooth spackle and use terrycloth to create a pattern in it. I want to paint the spackle a solid gold -- not a wash, but rather completely covered. I've decided not to do wainscoting. I'll do the entire wall then do a black chair rail with upright beams below with the wall showing through. Do I need to prime the spackle before I paint?

I'll post some pics tomorrow -- this site won't accept my digital pics still!!! so I'll have to do the webcam snap which means I have to carry the house up here and -- <_< never mind. I'll post pics tomorrow. :p

Alrightee Sportsfans -- The bar is well underway. Spent yesterday building a flatscreen tv (Success!!) and the day before spackling the bar walls. Today we made a floor. This is the second floor that I've done for it -- the first was black & gold and was waaaaay too busy. This floor is made using vinyl tile and the same method Tracy & David used for their stone floors (except this is 1" square for a modern tile look). Easy but time consuming method to use. If you try it, I found that a razor knife works better than an x-acto and pointee tweezers are perfect for pulling the vinyl out of the grout lines.

Here's a couple pics. The TV will be in the far right corner, catacornered at the ceiling. The trim will all be black. I'm starting a booth for directly across from bar and have ordered one of those cute little tall tables with stoors for near the window. I've decided against wainscoting -- too pretentious-- and will use a chair rail with beams from the floor to the rail.

post-287-1154796446_thumb.jpg

post-287-1154796493_thumb.jpg

:D Wish I had made the bar :D Got it several years ago from SP Miniatures. It was unfinished -- do I get credit for staining? :D I have another one, but it's a long number and too big.

I've got to do the ceiling & the crown moulding then I'll install the TV & the ceiling fan take a pic for my Webshots (still can't post my digitals here :lol: ). In the meantime I'm painting the trimwork and taking it easy...the floor killed my hands this a.m. (on top of weeding the vegetable garden yesterday :o ) and I can't do too much more until the Alleve clicks in :blink:

and I can't do too much more until the Alleve clicks in
:blink:

Boy do I know that feeling :lol: Yes, I think you do get credit for staining it looks real good.

I would, bare spackle tends to suck in the paint & it dries a lighter color than it went on.

Thanks :D I kept looking at it and finally put the primer on before I painted -- the color stayed gold (wouldn't want it to fade to yellow :lol: ) I sponged it on so that some of the white showed thru -- the color is kind of overwhelming so it's broken up a bit. Love spackle -- like icing a cake only you can't lick your fingers :o