Metal Stairs

Charlene

Here once again to pick your brains. <_< This was supposed to be a question about metal stairs, but I figured that out myself so here's the real problem (sorry -- I'm easily confused)

I've begun work on a duplex roombox (2 rooms up). This is a project for a gift for my brother. The first floor will be a sports bar. The upstairs will be a bachelor-style apartment.

I would love to have a big-screen TV in the corner of the bar. But I priced them. And, ummm, they're a bit pricey for a piece of wood with a light in it! :rolleyes:

Sooooo, have any of you created a lighted TV and, if so, how did you do it?

I'm thinking a basswood box (sealed seams of course) with a picture up front and a grain of wheat bulb inside. Will this work, do you think? Or is there some other way of doing it?

(And, yes, Castleteers, I know I'm supposed to be working on the castle, but this idea jumped full-blown into my head and the poor little castle got pushed right out.)

Check the Micro Mark catalog, they also have LEDs, you could print the picture on vellum to get the effect of the TV screen and the light would show.

Our favorite pub has one big screen TV in the bar and another one between the pool tables & the dart boards, and regular 23" screen TVs mounted on shelves in all the corners. Of course no one can hear what's on when the pool players start feeding the jukebox or it's "Acoustic Band Night".

So how did the metal stairs work out? I like the filigree plastic fan ribs, I want to use them on a spiral stairway some day.

Oops! :rolleyes: Guess I should have shared that, huh???

Originally thought of using one of those plastic fans -- neat filigree, etc -- but they're plastic & I really wanted real metal. Little background -- my family lives in Pittsburgh so the building needs to resemble a structure you'd find there. Neat yellow bricks. Marble insets. Not a lot of geegaws for ornamentation. They apparently were never big on cherubs or grapeleaves on the buildings there. Now outside stairways to second floor apartments could be wood there, but more than likely in a really old building they'd be wrought iron. And it would be a less ornamental wrought iron than you'd generally see in the South -- usually it's pretty straight-forward stuff. And, as I said this is for my brother, so I didn't want anything on the outside that was fragile (y'know how guys are :) ) so the plastic was out.

What I've decided to do is to use light weight steel mesh (sort you'd use for sculpture armature). I'll cut each step individually & then I'll lay a strip of lace on the top of each step for the filigree, use heavy uncoated wire for the handrails (it's about twice the diameter of floral wire, more rigid but still easy enough to cut) and paint the entire ensemble black. The little porch landing at the second floor door will be done the same way. This way I'll get the feel of what I'm looking for which is a relatively plain wrought iron look.

There will be a step down inside from the doorway to the living area which I'll do with a marble-look step and maybe the more elaborate filigree plastic fence stuff as a handrail -- but that's not a given since I'm not sure whether I'll want a rail there.

I've gathered all the building materials -- still have a few interior things to get (like a living room set <_< ) but I plan to start this weekend so I may have something to share early next week.

We lived briefly in the Pittsburgh area when we were first married: Wilkinsburg, McKeesport, E McKeesport... I am SO familiar with the urban style you're talking about.

Wow -- small world, isn't it? Glad someone can relate -- wonder where all those yellow bricks came from anyway :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see your roombox Charlene, it sounds really cool. Just like Holly I know excatly what your talking about. I live in Canonsburg (not that far away from Pittsburgh) and there are still a few, not many however :) , buildings around here like that. I love just going downtown to see all the different styles of buildings <_< . Guess we all like doing that to give us ideas :rolleyes: .

Oh dear -- this is like homecoming week!

It's entirely possible that the yellow bricks made of river clay -- never really looked into it. It's just kind of a unique brick color that you don't see hardly anywhere else. The further you get out from the city itself, the fewer of these you'd see. They're almost always 2 story buildings and never more than 3 stories high. I personally call it "Pittsburgh Gothic". <_<

Annette, are you old enough to know who Bobby Vinton was? He was from Canonsburg...of course, I was still in diapers when he sang "Blue on Blue" (Yeah, right! :rolleyes: )

:rolleyes: Already thought of the trash -- but didn't think of the doggies!!! Oh, must get out my catalog again! <_<

BTW I have a kitty to sit up on the porch -- a lovely, long, black, stretchy one that I must have gotten for another project and forgot about -- he can watch the goings-on below.

Charlene, I live in the 'burgh too, and there are alot of buildings "dawn tawn" that have alot of ornaments on them. I used to work in a building that had lion heads all across the front just under the roof eaves.Most of the older buildings have something especially on the North 'Side and South Side so don't be afraid to use them. And they all have the building date of construction chiseled in the front somewhere. When I worked in Town, I used to see alot of architecural students taking tours of the buildings.We had a few come to our building and they told me that Pittsburgh buildings are considered some the of last great examples of classic arcitecture left and it was required in their classes to study these buildings Don't forget a Steeler banner hanging on your fire escape. And a Terrible Towel in the bar, Iron City and Rolling Rock on tap and chipped ham sandwiches on the menu! First Steeler game is in 9 days!

Can't wait to see some pictures!

terri

Annette, are you old enough to know who Bobby Vinton was? He was from Canonsburg...of course, I was still in diapers when he sang "Blue on Blue" (Yeah, right! :) )

I know who Bobby Vinton was thanks to my mom, she had some of his albums that I would look at when I was little and go 'who's this?' <_< along with her Fabain albums. They have a street here named after him and also Perry Como. There's a statue in front of the municipal building of Perry Como that plays his music 24 hours a day :rolleyes: I really like it at christmas when they play his christmas songs, hearing that with the snow falling it just seems so peaceful.

If your roombox is more in the suburbs than downtown you could always have some 'coons in the trash also. The cat would be perfect sitting on the railing just taking everything in.

Don't want to disappoint anyone -- but I'm really from the city, not the suburbs! So no attack goose. (Sorry Holly) Or 'coons either! Maybe a few attack pigeons? <_<

And, tho' there are plenty of splendid examples of 19-20th century architecture in downtown Pittsburgh, this is an ordinary 'row house' building of yellow brick that you'd find in Sheraden where I grew up...nothing that anyone ever put a date stone on (and if they did it would've been stolen!!) A bit of large brown brick (for color you know) and perhaps a marbled band -- a really ordinary Pittsburgh building.

It's a Pittsburgh sports bar so the Steelers, Penquins and Pirates will be over-represented, I assure you, and the decor will be strictly black & gold with the Steelers on the TV, framed pics of Forbes, 3 Rivers and the 60 Pirates. I promise not to veer from my course & there will be enough B&G to satisfy the most rabid fan. :rolleyes: I have to go to Joanne's Saturday and hunt up some gold terrycloth to make my terrible towels. And I guess I will have to figure out how to make Fimo chipped ham. :D

Totally off topic -- When I lived in Woodbridge, I was in Giant Food one day at the deli standing behind some poor, homesick Pittsburgh girl who was trying desperately to get the deli girl to shave the ham Pittsburgh-style. Don't think they ever got it right and I thought the girl was going to cry...isn't it awful the things we want when we're homesick?

And, Annette, I forgot Perry Como!!! But I'm not sure I could handle him 24/7! They really do that, huh? Geesh. I thought this place was odd! :)

The geese were a real culture shock for this newlywed FL gal! DH was in training at the Westinghouse Ed Center in Wilkinsburg and we were renting the top floor in a very elderly house on one of the hills, so after supper we'd go for walks around the neighborhood and one evening as we were walking up a residential street there was all this noise and a sound like a pack of bad dogs, and it was a gaggle of about a half-dozen HUGE geese running at us from some people's yard! Naturally we took off running back downhill & didn't look back until we were back on our street! Who expects geese in a big city? Well, we do, now...

The geese were a real culture shock for this newlywed FL gal!

Naturally we took off running back downhill & didn't look back until we were back on our street! Who expects geese in a big city? Well, we do, now...

ROFLMBO!!! What a sight you must have been!!!

Those geese are all over the place -- they were helping to direct traffic at the West End Circle not long ago Tied up morning traffic for a while. Very bold critters. <_<

It can be a quirky place -- but at least you didn't tangle with the Monongahela River Monster!!! :rolleyes:

Don't want to disappoint anyone -- but I'm really from the city, not the suburbs! So no attack goose. (Sorry Holly) Or 'coons either! Maybe a few attack pigeons? :lol:

OMG I almost forgot about the pigeons, you'll have to put some either on the roof or around the windows. the 'burgh without pigeons is almost like a car without tires :lol: .

And, Annette, I forgot Perry Como!!! But I'm not sure I could handle him 24/7! They really do that, huh? Geesh. I thought this place was odd! :lol:

Oh yeah this place is definately strange, but growing up here you get use to it. A good example is the 4th of July parade, the week before everyone in town puts lawn chairs marking their spots along main street :wacko: it's a tradition that's been going on for years. Every year we drive through town just looking at the chairs sometimes it better than the parade itself :lol: . Gotta love small town quirks. :D

the week before everyone in town puts lawn chairs marking their spots along main street :wacko: it's a tradition that's been going on for years. Every year we drive through town just looking at the chairs sometimes it better than the parade itself :lol: . Gotta love small town quirks. :D

ROFL!

the people in our town do this also before Maple Leaf....this is a fall festival that has been going on for about 40 yrs. and is a Huge thing in our area. the Parade is generally about 2 hours long.

Many years this has fallen on my Birthday....like this comming up year! craft show, car show, baby contest,

Queen pagent, dog contest, and what started it all was the Band competion. over 50 High School bands will show up for the competion. and as we only live a block away from the football field we always open the windows and enjoy the music! of course when the boys were in band we were down there working concession and watching the shows.

small town living is not bad at all.

nutti :lol:

I live in the city and almost DIED when I saw about 5 wild turkeys (real ones, not the distilled kind) in my neighborhood. I have been chased by these when I used to deliver mail in the burbs.

I steered clear! Scary! :D

Our city has Sailfest in the summer, and something called Boats, Books, and Brushes in the Fall. They take place downtown near the water. I think if anyone left out a lawn chair around here, they better kiss it goodbye.

Nutti, I blame you. Your post is making me yearn for Fall. Pumpkins, chestnut collecting, cool nights, Halloween, and a trip to Brimfield!

We have wild turkeys that live in the woods behind the house, every so often they come into the yard and scratch it up :D , they're almost as bad as the deer.

The lawn chairs are a sacred tradition to the people of Canonsburg, I have no clue why, but that's the only time you can leave them on the street without worry. The rest of the year you better have everything and anything under lock and key :wacko: .

I want fall to come also, I love the smell, the cool air, the leaves changing, and most importantly the kids back in school :lol: .

ROFLMBO -- Oh, good grief! Attack TURKEYS???? Is Alfred Hitchcock lurking somewhere? :lol:

Incidentally THERE IS NOTHING WORSE THAN DEER!!! The little suckers came in near my pond last weekend and snapped up every single one of my hosta buds -- all 4 dozen!!! :wacko: And then there's the bears -- ah but that's another story. :D