Opinions please

cjack

post-649-1152144344_thumb.jpgI am still trying to decide what kind of flooring to put in my kitchen in the willowcrest. I am leaning toward individual wood tiles (3 sizes) and doing it in a natural honey color. I also think a dark wood plank floor would look good. I would love assistance in this since I don't seem to be able to vision what things look like when they are finished. I also posted a few more pictures in my gallery and all comments are very welcome since I am so new at this. Thanks!!!!

Hi Cathy!

Since you asked, I'm always ready with an opinion! :(

Ok, the first thing is that it's your dollhouse and whatever you want will be perfect.

If you're doing the house in "period" you might want the plank flooring. I assume by tile you mean parquet and I think plank flooring would be more in tune with a kitchen than parquet which kind of screams 'formal' to me.

BTW love your house -- it's going to be beautiful when your done.

Cathy your house is coming along great. The willowcrest is such a pretty house :( . If it was me I would go with the plank flooring, more traditional. But Charlene has a good point it's really up to you and what you want :lol: .

Charlene, thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I am not doing the house in "period" so really anything goes. As far as the "wood tile" I should probaly clarify that. I found these really great wood squares in a pack at Hobby Lobby. They come 3 sizes to a pack and are raw wood. I sort of thought I would lay them out like a tile floor that uses different sizes and them stain them a honey color. They won't resemble parkay. I am doing the rest of the house in dark plank and thought maybe the kitchen might look better if I did it differently. Really open to suggestions.

Cathy: I used skinny sticks to make a "plank" flooring in my Coventry Cottage/dance studio and it was simple and easy to do. So I don't see why your "tiles" wouldn't work the same. How thick are the wooden blocks? You can check out my floor in the Coventry Blog.

Then there are the super thin, ultra cheap real vinyl floor tiles sold at places like Big Lots & Family Dollar, I wouldn't put them on my REAL floor (don't think they'd last a year) but I've used them on two floors of the McKinley and I LOVE them! I think something like the wood blocks finished to look like ceramic tile (in the honey coor) would be very striking-looking in a kitchen.

Annette, thanks for the nice comments on my little house. As a beginner, I need all the encouragement that I'm doing okay that I can get. Sometimes I look at all the beautiful things members here have done that I realize just how much I have to learn.

Peggi, my floor tiles are about as thick as the skinny sticks. I have never seen the skinny sticks done the way you did them. (Thank you Traci for the link) The floor you did is absolutely beautiful! In fact, when I am thru with this post, I am going back to your site and studying. Love all the things I saw there.

Linda, I love the color of your kitchen. The beige floor works really well in there. Your ceiling is really great. I have trouble getting mine to stay stuck. Am now on my third kind of carpet tape. Hope this one works.

I will post pictures of the floor when I decide what I want to do and get it finished. I have not seen anyone use wood tiles so if anyone has and has pictures.......PLEASE SHARE!

Cathy, I like your idea of the wood tile floor in the honey tones. If the rest of the house is dark wood planking, that would really pop the kitchen.

Donnalee (gemlady) had done some simply awesome flooring with wood tiles in her Garfield. It knocks my socks off everytime I go look at her pictures. Here's the link for her kitchen floor done with wooden tile.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/546546...075988085hoLVDg

If you check out the rest of her album, there's some totally stunning parquet work she's done too.

Deb

The vinyl floor idea is great. My husband cut up two tiles of black and white for me to create a beautiful black and white checkerboard kitchen floor in my Colonial...entirely his idea, I must add! I've not done a wood floor in a kitchen, but others' floors look great.

How are you planning to use the wood squares, if you decide on those? Are you making a geometric pattern with the different sizes? Or are you using all one size? Just trying to wrap my mind around this.

Skinny sticks or craft sticks work great for all types of wood projects. I used the skinny sticks in my Sugarplum for trim and wainscoting (it's in my 'various' album) and I used the regular craft sticks for a plank floor. They're nice smooth wood so they take any kind of stain and they actually have a grain so they look great when they're finished. I think we did a whole thread on skinny sticks a while ago.

First of all I'd just like to say that I think your kitchen looks wonderful. I would have thought terracotta tiles would look nice done in a rustic fashion maybe. You could rub a very small amount of dark brown shoe polish with a toothbrush over them to give them a bit of a lived in look.

Deb, thanks for your link to Donnalee's floor. Never occurred to me to use more than one color. She really did a beautiful job. After doing some thinking on this, I believe I will use the wooden squares fitted like tile and stained a honey color. I too think that with all the dark wood floors in the rest of the house that the honey color will be best in the kitchen. By the way, in an earlier post I had asked if anyone had any suggestions for thresholds since my bathroom flooring is a different height than the landing. I guess no one makes thresholds, so I am going to use part of the baseboard cut down to match a threshold. It is thin enough to bend a bit and I can get the same look that I have in my real home where the study and the entry way come together (wood floor v/s tile). Just thought I would offer than in case anyone else has that problem.

Oops, I thought someone had posted suggesting a scrap of siding cut to fit might work for a threshhold... You could also do something in polyclay to look like tile for the bathroom floor edge.