Haning mini wall hangings

hydroped

Ok so I made myself this egyptian (faux stone) wall hanging and I was thinking of where I could use it.. and then it dawned on me that I'm not 100% positive how everyone else hangs stuff in their dollhouses... with mini picture frames I only used the mini-hold wax stuff.. but what about something larger and heavier? How do you all hang things on your mini walls?

-David

Hi David --

There's a paint on mini hold (think you can get it from Craft Club) that I used once or twice. Now, this stuff is supposed to hold things through an earthquake. It comes in a jar with a brush like nailpolish. The reason I only used it once or twice is because I used it to hold a shelf in my Colonial and when I tried to remove it I had to PRY IT OFF but the wallpaper was OK, so it's a little less harsh than glue :( This stuff would probably hold your creation in place for eternity. You could also try double-sided tape (carpet tape?) and it would probably hold nicely.

BTW, do we get to see the creation?

David: Can you post a picture, so we have an idea of exactly how large or heavy it is?

<holding up a scorecard with a 10 on it> Nice technique Peggi. Subtle and demure, yet it assures us of the eye candy we all crave. <applauding> Very nice! :(

David, I've used all kinds of different things to hang stuff on walls. For lighter things, I use the double sided clear Scotch poster holders. I wish I could describe that better (or knew what they're called), but they're made for hanging heavy posters on whitewall in offices. They look like a sheet of clear, rubbery vinyl that's sticky on both sides. You can cut them to any size and because they're clear, I can use them to hold things on tables so earthquakes don't knock them off. The other thing I use is a grey foam that's sticky on both sides. It's also found in the office supply section and can be trimmed to fit. Neither one of them have hurt the finish on wallpaper or wood. The foam is a bit thicker so I use it for things like drapes and framed pictures that I want to stand out from the wall just a bit.

If all else fails and it's too heavy for adhesive type stuff and you don't want to glue it, why not use a bit of jewelry wire glued to both sides on the back and then use a wiring brad for a nail (or a tiny hook from jewelry findings) in the wall and hang it the "real world" way?

This would be so much easier if we could just see a picture of what you made. I'm sure we could come up with much better suggestions if we saw it. <innocent fluttering of eyelashes>

Deb

Ok Ok Sheesh :lol: heheh I guess I'll have to start being better about photos.. which remdinds me I owe everyone pictures of the bunka rug.. as soon as I can find the rug again :(

post-86-1152198261_thumb.jpg

I guess a better question would have been - when I make the next one should I put wires on the back for hanging? if you click on the thumbnail the picture should come up (hopefully) the same size as the original which is about life size.

Thanks again everyone :lol:

-David

:lol: Finally we get a picture :(

Very impressive. Wish my stuff turned out like that.

I guess putting wire on it would depend on how you plan to hang it :lol:

I just glued a wall of bricks and used "Quick Grip" It held very nicely and almost immediately and the bricks were quite heavy. I guess you have to make sure that whatever you are glueing is going to stay there or not, permenantly.

Thank you David for the picture. I love it. I'm assuming that you didn't allow for wire to go through this one from your second question, so this one might ought to be glued to stay. Or try heavy double sided carpet tape.

Very nice job, David! What material did you make the piece out of? If it was polymer clay, it would be easy to add wire and a little clay to the back for hanging. :)

Hi Jackie and all

Thanks for the compliments and all the tips about how you hang items - I think on the next one I'll add a bit of wire and see how it comes out. It is indeed made from polymer clay - I love that stuff! Talk about feeling like a kid - I used to love play-doh when I was little and now we have polymer clay yippie :) heheh

-David

David, Jackie is right on, you can put a bit of wire on the back of your piece with a dab of super glue gel at either end to hold it in place and when it's dry add a bit of clay over each end and bake it again. then you'll have your wire ready to hang your relief.

It looks great! did you carve it freehand or stamp it?

It looks great! did you carve it freehand or stamp it?

Thanks Holly,

I wish I could do that freehand! No it's my favorite pass time lately - looking for old jewelry to make moulds from. I got that piece on a $2 necklace at a yard sale and went Wow! Perfect for that Egyptian Room box that I've been talking about making for the last year and a half lol - I am still planning to do that! Just getting all the pieces together and I keep refiguring my plans for it. I just press the jewelry bit into a square of polymer clay - carefully lift it out - bake it and violla - a press mould. I did use a thin blade to cut the stone block marks in though.

-David