Flowers

heidiiiii

I wanted to post a couple pics of how my garden is doing. Lots of chartruse. Summer flowers havent peeped up much yet.

One species of Hosta I have.

Nice blue hydrangea

My lil girl

How pretty. I took cuttings from the hydrangea by the side garden and planted them by the front porch steps, and the soil there is a different pH, the original bush's flowers are the most gorgeous lady blue and the ones by the porch vary from lilac to rosy pink.

Our pear trees are loaded with fruit, although with no rain I don't know how good the fruit will be, but we put in three more pear trees almost 15 years ago and this is the first year every one of them has fruit; last year was the first time they all bloomed.

Heidi

Your garden looks great! I love hostas and have never planted any :D Aren't they a shade lover? My poor garden - the lawn needs cutting (and a watering system). The weeds need pulling. My pumpkins are growing but not looking the way I'd like them to - I think it's time to get out the miriacle grow. On the other hand last week my Roses are going insane and are covered in blooms - they're liking the strangely hot weather we've been having. I hope they keep up the blooms for a while :lol: Unfortunately no flower from my water lily yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

-David

Beautiful Heidi. This year I ripped up lots of my grass which is more like pasture hay, laid in lots of rock but also put in several large flower beds. Well no hard working person could afford to fill those beds with annuals much less growing perennials so I bought lots and lots of wildflower seeds. Laid them down and have been faithfully watering them for weeks now keeping the beds wet. Weeeeeeeeeeeelllllll looks like weeds not flowers coming up. I hate that when it happens.

Shelly

Love your pictures Heidi!!! Funny you should ask about flowers, I just recently took a few pictures of my flowers. They are doing well but we sure could use some rain.

SuzyQ

David.. I plant my hostas all over the place,, sun, shade, partial. They do well anywhere I put them. I started out with one hosta plant that came with the house. It was big. I dug it up, split and planted. Then I slowly bought about 4 other varieties. You would be surprised how big they get and how fast.

If you plan on planting some in a sunny location do it in the early spring or in the fall. That way they wont be competing with the heat. If you wait until fall you will get some bargains on them.

They are by far the easiest and most gorgeous plant I have planted. I love that and my creeping jenny.

I unintentionally have a yellow and purple garden. I just gravitated.

I have alot more plants but they havent bloomed yet.

Suzq I love you pics.

Is that last one a nicotine plant? The vine in the pot.

Edit: Nope I looked again.. Looks like a sweetpea.

Thanks Heidi! :)

I always thought Hostas were so beautiful that they had to be hard to grow. I'll definitely wait till Fall because we're already getting heat waves here - very unusual for so early in the summer so I think it's going to be a hot one this year. Come fall I'll start looking for bargains on Hostas :p

-David

David, you can buy a big one, brush the dirt off and split it up with a kitchen knife or pruners. Just make sure each division has roots. Even one leaf with a root attached will grow you a new plant.

If I took pics of all of my hostas from divisions and I posted them here, I would shut the system down! :):p

Then just plant deep enough to cover roots and make it stand up. If you buy in fall, You can chop most of the leaves off and plant the root balls with some leaves on.

If you arent sure what I am talking about I can show you. I have a huge hosta to dig up and split (not today, too hot). I will take pics and put them in the gallery. Let me know!

Thanks Heidi :(

I've divided a few plants before simularly. I'm no horticulturist that's for sure! :) but what you describe sounds pretty easy so I'll definitely give it a try :p Now I have another reason to look forward to Fall - adding hostas to the yard :lol:

-David

Suzq I love you pics.

Is that last one a nicotine plant? The vine in the pot.

Edit: Nope I looked again.. Looks like a sweetpea.

Nope on both The are actually Mandivillas. I love these guys I planted 3 pots against the deck posts along the garage. They will grow to the top and I have stung a thick fishing line across the top band of the deck and they will climb along that and I am hoping by end of summer they will have met in the middle.

The other vined plants with the arbor seat is also a mandivilla. They are a new breed. Red. Usually they are pink. I don't know how high they will climb. They say they won't get as big as the others but they are really growing.

I do have sweet peas that actually grow wild on my property. I will see if I can get a picture of them.

SuzyQ

Beautiful flowers and hostas!

I adore hostas btw....i have some planted out in the side yard, I haven't looked at them for a couple of weeks, they were looking quite pretty last time i looked. I hope to have a nice shady yard someday, i'll plant a bunch of different varieties, they do so well and look so beautiful. Currently we have 4-5 different varieties which is a great start.

The pictures of everyone's flowers are really beautiful! The only perenial I have planted in my yard is lilly of the valley. They come in a very pale shade of pink and the white variety. They are easy to grow but I was told by a friend toxic for dogs if they eat them. I don't know if that is true but I don't take chances and make sure my border collie stays away from them.

Suzq thanks for correcting me..like to learn new things. It looks like sweetpea cause of the curly grabbers and leaves.

I have perennial sweet peas in my yard. Just love to cut them and put in small vases. I have a monster hosta that grows white flowers. When they bloom I will take a pic to show you. I will never dig up this plant..I love the size of it.

Suzanne I have cat mint growing in different parts of my yard just for my outside cat. He loves to roll in it and chew on the leaves. It also has pretty purple flowers.

I dont know about lily of the valley being toxic. I have some but dogs dont go over there. I have to keep an eye on my veggies. MinPin likes to eat a treat when he gets a chance.

Hey Ya'll

I have a few new pictures of my flowers. Thank goodness we are finally getting some much needed rain.

Here are my hostas and the sweet peas that are growing wild. Also my mums never completely died from this past fall. I couldn't figure out what was growing until they bloomed. They look sort of funny in the summer with their fall colors :D

SuzyQ

Hey Ya'll

I have a few new pictures of my flowers. Thank goodness we are finally getting some much needed rain.

Here are my hostas and the sweet peas that are growing wild. Also my mums never completely died from this past fall. I couldn't figure out what was growing until they bloomed. They look sort of funny in the summer with their fall colors :D

SuzyQ

Suzq cut the mums back. Not all the way but if you cut them down a lil they will grow bigger!