CHRYSNBON Kits

nikki

I've heard everyone talking about how they love chrysnbon kits. I would love to hear from all the chrysnbon lovers what is so special about these kits? Are they affordable? Since I knwo nothing about kits, I would love to hear the differences between the ones that some of you have used.

thanks!

n

Hi Nikki,

I love chrysnbon kits - I've only made a couple of them but so far so good! For one they're reasonably priced. If you can put together a box car model you can put together a chrysnbon pump organ kit - they're just that easy. They're fun and they look great. Also some of the kits can be bashed - I've never tried this but I hear it's pretty cool. So far I've only made the pump organ, a rocking chair, and the pot belly stove and coal bucket but I really like em!

-David

They are neat little kits. The gluing can be a problem if you use the glue that "melts" styrene because if it doesn't hold the first time... well, then you've melted your plastic pieces! I love them because they are of a certain time period (20s-30s) and pretty unique... compared to most kits, which are a much older and more ornate style. They are also easily bashed although I've never done it - there are actually two books called Chrysnbon Cut-Ups that have instructions for doing this.

I plan to build some of these kits to go in the kitchen in the Westville, and also to make a built-in cabinet for my McKinley. I have made the rocking chair about half a dozen times now, for different settings. And the bathroom accessories are great too... I love those tiny toothbrushes!

I've used quite a few different Chrysnbon kits in the past and I like them. They're very detailed and accurately scaled, easy to put together and paint, and they're affordable. I just wish wish wish that the company would add something new to their list.

I think I used superglue to put my kits together.

wizzy

superglue seems to work the best. I have put the nursery set together, the pump organ--and to show you how simple I put those kits together when I was thirteen! Another great thing about them is the detail. You can order the chrysonbon catalog for $2 which is well worth it. I believe HBS has a book on tips for putting these little kits together also.

Bashing = kitbashing = you start with the pieces of the kit (and maybe the pieces of another kit) and then you change things. Essentially, you're using the kit to provide the basic structure, but you're not letting it tell you who's boss.

If you check out the Team Arthur Blog, you can see kitbashing in action. Tracy changed the front door (not just the door, but the entire shape of the opening!), while FOV and I both had our own notions about that front porch. You can make more dramatic changes than that -- Brandon added an entire bottom story to a Sugarplum, Judithfa added a couple rooms to a Glencroft, Emily added on to an Orchid, and I (with engineering help) replaced the gable of an RGT house with a shed-roofed extension. It is way easier to kitbash a Greenleaf kit than an RGT one; I truly don't know where I got the guts to consider it, much less how my parent-with-a-power-saw figured out the right cuts.

The kitbashes I've seen for the Chrysnbon stuff are pretty cool because they take a kit and turn it into an entirely different piece of furniture. Dollhouse Miniatures had an article a few years back that showed how to turn the Chrysnbon hutch into a desk. That's the kind of stuff in the Cut-Ups books, too.

-emily

I did the dining room table and chair set - the kit is very easy to put together, and now I've done the one the way you're 'sposed to, I intend to fool around with the sewing table and mannequin set I bought recently. (another UFO until I figure out where I'm going to use it!)

The table and chairs are in the kitchen in my Linfield album.

Linda McD from NOTL, ONT, Canada

• 1 month later...

I love chrysnbon kits.... mainly because they are finely detailed.... and I especially like the dishes etc... I find sometimes that the real china I can afford is quite thick, while the chrysnbon - although plastic is more realistic. If you want to see what can be done to chrysnbon dishes take a look at www.unbeweevable.com where the standard of the painted dishes is wonderful. This site also sells some kits and gives great hints on finishing.

I can usually find chrysnbon kits quite cheaply on ebay and have made up several.

I know the thing I loved about the kits is the fact that my hubby liked putting them together. He does model cars and it is the same concept. I used a slew of the kits in my house, lights, stove, sewing machine and the bathroom kit. With a little paint and imagination they look like the expensive types for waaaaaay less money.

Chrysnbon kits make up easily and look wonderful. If you look at the Payne dollhouse pictures that Nutti shared with us you will see room after room filled with really well executed examples of Chrysnbon.

That said, I'm going to share my own private, more negative feelings :lol: : Chrysnbon looks great, but it feels just too lightweight and plastic for me. And that matters-- again, to me-- because I still play in my dollhouses. I like objects to have a little heft. For example, over the years I have replaced the Chrysnbon pitchers and wash bowls I made with real porcelain pitchers and wash bowls. They do look clumsier, and I am sure for a little 5 1/2 inch lady they would equal the weight of a piano, proportionately, but I like the feel when I move them about. Same for the chairs, tables, etc. If I were just setting up for display I would go for Chrysnbon-- the delicacy of Bespaq for a fortune less.

Bee

I haven't yet made anything from Chrysnbon, but I have decided that the bathroom set is what I want for my Arthur bathroom. Now, it's just a matter of getting it! I'm more of a "visual" person than "tactile" so seeing the detail is more important to me personaly than things having the right "feel" to them. I've even been thinking about glueing down the potty and tub just so they don't get knocked around so easily.

Karen

My dad built some of the Chrysnbon kits when I was a teenager -- the organ, the sewing room, and the bathroom -- and I'm with Bee on just not being able to get past the plastic thing. I liked the House of Miniatures kits he built much more, though I don't have the direction-following ability to do them myself.

I am going to get the dinnerware because I bought rooster decals to put on the plates, so the house with a chicken-themed kitchen can have matching plates.

Realism isn't one of my goals, though -- my own home doesn't look all that realistic, come to think of it.

Hi:

These kits are made of plastic and are very detailed and simple to put together, if you don't like the color you can paint to your liking. I have purchased a few kits as well as diches and glasses and silver wear, never had a problem with anything yet. One thing to keep in mind when using glue to put the pieces together,use very little, I use a liquid plastic glue. :lol: