Painting

magnolia

Hello :lol: I need advice on painting my garfield, does any one of you did the sealing the wood first before you paint your dollhouse? And do I really need to the sealing thing? :) See I told you guys I'm very inpatient person, I just want to start my dollhouse so I could decorate them and play with them. :D Thanks to all of you for helping me out and giving me some feedback! You guys Rock! :)

Magnolia

I just moved this to the general mini talk forum to try to keep things easy to find :)

I only seal my houses after they are assembled. That way, I don't have to worry about losing parts by doing it before assembly. Also, the wood won't have a chance to warp when you do it after assembly

:D

Unless I want to stain the wood, I seal or prime it first. This cuts down on the number of coats of paint needed to cover the wood grain. If I want to paint a light color or to wallpaper, I prime with white first. Two things happen to wallpaper applied to unsealed wood: first the water in the wallpaper paste soaks into the wood and over time the paper may develop bubbles. Secondly, wood contains acids and these will, over time, oxidize even acid-free paper, turning it yellow, then brown, and making it brittle.

I am a perfectionist and wanted to make sure every corner of every piece was sealed. So I primed the all the pieces before I assembled. But that is me being anal!

I use spray primer lightly on both sides of the walls before putting house together

mainly because I like to stain my floors seperatly! the kit wood to all of my Greenleaf houses looked wonderful with stain and polyurethane.

if I were to use flooring in my house I would put the house together and prime it...inside and out...after construction.

see many differrent choices! you have to decide which suits you and GO for it!

looking forward to seeing your progress!

nutti :)

One thing I would recommend both to calm your nerves over trying something new, and to help you gain a little patience (goes a long way in minis) is to try out everything on scraps FIRST. seal, prime or leave bare scraps and see how they look with paint or paper (the oxidation takes years and the water absorption takes weeks to months, but you can tell about the paint within 24 hours). Same thing with glues. In addition to what I consider the holding properties of wood glue, its application is much easier to control.