drywall compound on foam??

grazhina

Has anyone used drywall compound on styrofoam or other foamboard?

I was thinking of trying it to build up and fill in small gaps in the Nuthouse exterior, then maybe use it for a textured coating. I dumped out the papier mache I started. I was standing there, trying to declump the paper that had mashed into little balls and thought....nyeh.....there's got to be something better than this.

Well, I have never used drywall compound, but I have used papier mache before. And I have found that wall paper paste works best for papier mache. What you do is mix up the wall paper paste and then take strips of paper and slide it through or dip it in the paste. That way it doesn't clump into balls. Then after it is on whatever you are putting it on, you can go back over it with a paint brush with paste on it to seal it even more. And the wall paper paste is better to use than conventional methods because it won't mold.

This doesn't really answer your question, but I hope it helps anyway!!

Oakie doakie, thank you all!

Now I wonder if I still have that container of stuff? Hmmmm I wonder if it's still good? Haven't used it in a while. :) how much you want to bet it's dried out and I have to go to the hardware store?...go here, go there.....clean the house, do the laundry....spray ant spray cause the stuff I sprayed 2 weeks ago apparently washed away or something cause I found carpenter ants crawling into the house again under a corner board.... :D

Oh well....

I'd say using water based compound should be safe. In Canada I could get Elmer's Light Acrylic Drywall mud, or spackle. Never seen it here in the US, though you can get latex compound. As for foam versus foam board, I'd say they'll behave completely differently. Why? The paper on the foam board, or card or whatever it is. You can use super glue on paper, try it on raw foam.

I have used drywall mud on foamcore, and foam insulation. Works just fine--I created my fireplace how to in Jan. issue of AM with foam insulation, foamcore, and the fireplace is completely made of drywall mud, spread with a palette knife, and cake decorating bag. You can see a good picture of it in my blog.

http://yardsaledollhousestory.blogspot.com

Let it 'set up' a bit if you are doing any intricate decorative work. It should look great. If you need to age it, use Weathered Wood crackle--I used that on the siding of Minnie's Lil Scapbook store and it looked great.

I have used strips of strofoam insulating board white glued and pinned together to build mountains over the shell of styrofoam strips I used either drywall compound or "Durhams rock hard water putty" AThat stuf is great holds its shape well easy to work and very fine texture

Ed

:) I never thought of using drywall compound and cake decorating tips....Evil laugh.

What a superwonderfulfantablous idea!! Your brilliant!!!

I made a gingerbread house for Christmas last year for a family of teddy bears and to "frost" the roof and seams i used fast-n-final lightweight spackle watered down just a bit. i put it into the plastic icing baggies and used cake decorating tips. it worked very well! it was a little messy until i got the hang of it. you can see it on my webshot's page under Bearybread Lane if you like. but yes, it was super easy and came out great! you do have to seal it though, i used a clear varnish. good luck!

www.webshots.com/user/Fairimom