Never again!!!!

glen

Wow, Melanie (Shakyshaky) made it look so easy I thought I'd give it a go.

Can anybody give any advice on getting the covering to sit flat or do I just have to practice me sewing until I get it right? :rolleyes:

As you can see, cutting out the foam and making the seats like Melanie said was EASY. :lol: But getting the covering on. Beats me. :lol:

Must be a girl thing. :lol:

No point trying to cover the two chairs until I work out to do it right. :lol:

Hers look cool.

Glen

post-265-1149852125_thumb.jpg

If you want the front arms to be flat you have to glue them on before you do the sides. If you want you can leave them wood and put wood feet on the bottom. I have seen that before in real couches. Working with fabric does take alittle practice but I think your are comming along nicely. :rolleyes: If the instructions need work let me know.

Thanks, it's not the tutorial, it's my stupid fingers :rolleyes:

I've put a wood cap on the ends of the arms. I like that effect. Forgot the legs in my frustration.

Glen, your couch is adorable. Don't give up yet!!

I used glue instead of sewing and glued the fabric on each piece with padding before I put it together. Then covered the bottom and back with fabric covered card stock. I made this set up and my biggest problem was cutting out the wood pieces. I'm not so handy with power tools and I didn't have a pattern.

Never tried upholstry, but it strikes me that it would be hard to maintain a straight edge on square cut dacron at that scale. Especially if you're trying to tighten the fabric. I wonder if it would work better with foam, round cut at the edges.

I found that when upholstering big furniture that it helps to cover the foam and batting with thin muslin or calico. It holds everything together and makes it easier to put the decorator fabric on. I really like Wenlaine's idea of using the fabric covered cardstock for the flat pieces. Lightbulbs are appearing over my head - how to make kit furniture look nice!

Hi Glen,

I like using a good quality fabric glue where I can with fabrics and minis - like Frabri-Tac. Also I can tell you the fabric you're using is not the easiest to work with. Back in the 70's when EverGreen (the song came out) these white suits in that silky stuff were real popular. Mom tried to make one for sis to wear- I think a lot of little birdies died that week. That kind of fabric is just made to be obstanant I think - Beautiful but difficult. Have you tried gluing the fabric directly to the foam as you go? Maybe paint or spray a very fine bit of glue on - let it get tacky so it won't bleed through the fabric and then pull the fabric over it so it's held in place by the glue - just a guess I've never done mini reappholstering so I'm taking a stab in the dark that also may not work. :rolleyes:

I think they're looking good though.

-David

Biggest problem is the corners. They pucker up

Oh, yes, THAT one! Glen, first you lay the cardboard on the fabric and cut your fabric about 1/2" or so larger than the card, so it'll cover the card + foam. Whilst the card is still on the fabric, clip the points off the corners by snipping straight across from corner to corner; don't cut across too close to the corner of the card. Then you can miter the fabric at the corners to reduce bulk. Also I run a basting thread around the card whilst it's on the fabric, and clip along the curved areas just to but not through the basting thread, which will also help reduce puckering. Upholstering differs from garment assembly in that you can apply the fabric directly to the furniture without having to make it removable.

Thanks

MMMmmmmmmmm basting thread -- that's what I need.

What????? :rolleyes:

Mitering the corners is a good idea. I understand that one.

This is my next try, still don't like the corners. Better find out what basting is. (I thought that was what you did to a roast)

Think I'll save up and buy some.

Wooden furniture is easier.

Glen

post-265-1149885520_thumb.jpg

Thanks

MMMmmmmmmmm basting thread -- that's what I need.

What????? :rolleyes:

Wooden furniture is easier.

Glen

Glen --

I think it looks good from here! It's actually splendid for a first time non-sewer (is that a word?) -- certainly looks like you could master upholstery without any trouble at all.

Just an aside -- every time I've had furniture re-done (like real furniture LOL), the upholsterers have been guys...so this really is a "guy" thing only in miniature!!!

By the by, I'm glad to see Barbie back in a dress and outta the action figure phase -- she really looked uncomfortable. :lol:

Thanks but it's not Barbie, it's Pricilla, the new land lords wife. Since she and her family moved in Barbie’s been seen lurking in the bushes in full regalia more often than ever. And not only that, she's got two of her sisters to move in down stairs for support. Things are starting to look a little ugly here at times.

There’s a side to Barbie we don’t necessarily want to know.

a very afraid

Glen

Better find out what basting is

You can use regular thread, you're simply sewing a loose, longish stitch to mark where you want to cut to. Once you get ready to glue you can pull that puppy out and no one need ever know (mwa-ha-ha-ha!)...

Thanks but it's not Barbie, it's Pricilla, the new land lords wife. Since she and her family moved in Barbie’s been seen lurking in the bushes in full regalia more often than ever. And not only that, she's got two of her sisters to move in down stairs for support. Things are starting to look a little ugly here at times.

There’s a side to Barbie we don’t necessarily want to know.

a very afraid

Glen

Oh my, I'm getting worried for you -- think I may have some old GI Joes lurking in the closets that we might send in if things get too bad......terrorist Barbie. Who would have thunk??? :rolleyes:

Glen -

Your sofa is great. For a first try you did do a fabulous job. I did my first upholstery job earlier this year, and was having the same corner puckering job that you did. Went on the Google, and discovered how to mitre the corners. Problem solved.

Are you going to make throw cushions for the chair? Great way to add in another colour if you wish.

-Susanne

looks good to me! shouldnt be so critical on yourself! remeber baby is very young and someday you will have to make more....consider this practice!

but I think it looks wonderful! and a couple of small pillows for some color would be good!

nutti :rolleyes:

Ok Ok Ok... I'll stick some pretty colored pillows on it.

Actually I just used that material cause I wasn't overly confident so just used what material I had left from the bed covers. Slippery stuff to work with.

Glen

Wow Glen,

Sofa looks great! Looks like you really mastered those corners! And like you said that kind of material is slippery stuff. Dang bro - is there anything you Can't do? :lol: lol :rolleyes: Seriously your sofa looks Awesome! You should be right proud of it :lol:

-David

Personally my mini upholstery fabric of choice is old wide polyester neckties, the patterns & colors just pop for damask & tapestry type mini upholstery. True, it's a bear to work with, but the results are worth it!

How about posting a pic of a tie furniture here?

PS I down loaded a cool picture of some apples in a basket and some flowers several weeks ago and do you thing I could remember where I found it??????

Now I do.

Thanks havanaholly

:lol: :lol: :lol: (Gotta love this guy, doesn't miss a cue!)

How about posting a pic of a tie furniture here?
This is what I did with the Coventry Cottage chairs: post-8-1149969373_thumb.jpg

The picture I took of the Haunted House furniture turned out much too small to see any detail.

The first pieces I ever upholstered were the Reallife Victorian Parlor kit, which now live in my Cambridge:

post-8-1149970374_thumb.jpg

I down loaded a cool picture of some apples in a basket

Thank you! :rolleyes: :lol: That was the first swap item I ever made, and was lots of fun to figure out how I wanted to do.

Wow Glen,

Dang bro - is there anything you Can't do? :lol: lol :rolleyes: Seriously your sofa looks Awesome! You should be right proud of it :lol:

-David

I'm still waiting for his mini cats. Wow, wouldn't that be something ... real live 1:12 cats (and dogs) running around. We could live cats and dogs running around in our dollhouses. If anyone could do these, I'd put my money on Glen!

-Susanne

his mini cats. Wow, wouldn't that be something ... real live 1:12 cats

Now I'm confused, I thought he was going to shrink a cat to sit inside the refrigerator he made and meow when the light went off, and Deb & I figured the poor cat might suffocate in there, so there'd be no LIVE mini cat... On the other hand, David makes a heckuva mummified cat!