Should I go for it?

I decided to run this past you, the sanest people I know. Actually the most impartial. I am seriously wanting the Monsters in Motion ReShape resin Nostromo kit. It's a recast of the Halcyon vinyl kit. BTW, the Nostromo was the towing ship from Alien. Now I should add the ReShape is a licensed and authorized recast. I'm used to working with resin, no idea what to do with vinyl, so the recast is a bonus. But it's 175, plus shipping. Should I do it? I already have 2 Millennium Falcons (1 was 200), 2 Enterprises, an X-Wing, the Proteus, Serenity, the Garfield, The Orchid, just got the 1/2" scale castle and Fantasy Villa (the Villa is for Marg, an unbirthday present), a conservatory, not to mention the Time Machine under way. I Emailed MiM to ask about availability, if they have it in stock I think I may have to get one.

What style of house do you think would be fitting for a landed Nostromo next to it? :D The kit is 1/960 scale. :blink::):)

That's the one, sorry guys, didn't think to provide a link. Where do I find this stuff. MiM has a huge selection, I also belong to a couple of sci-fi modeling forums, they're great sources of info, and members will post reviews of the model. Not seen one of this model, but I've got an MiM model before and it was well cast.

Well, Monsters in Motion got back to me, they have it in stock, so I could not resist. And I'm hoping with 21 bones shipping it won't take long. Actually they pack stuff really well. I need to set up 2 work areas, 1 for the Garf, and 1 for the Nostromo. I've wanted this ship since I was a kid, about 12 or 13. I scratchbuilt the Betty, but this one is beyond me. This kit is a retooled resin version of the much lauded Halcyon vinyl kit (as mentioned licensed and authorized) so it should be the be all and end oll of Nostromo kits.

You know it would be kind of fun to make a 1/960th scale Garf and put it beside this guy. :D

That's really cool!

1:960 would be downright microscopic for a house, though. My husband's 1:285 miniatures yield houses that my 1:24 people use as dollhouses. You'd be looking at something small enough to be a Barbie house in a 1:144 house.

Wow Andrew, I can wait to see what youdo with this. Is there an inside shot? Is there an inside at all :D

Way to go!! Sometimes we forget to treat ourselves to things we really want. We work hard and pay the bills. sometimes we have to remember to pay ourselves first to add that special thing WE call joy (Others call it insanity)

:blink:

No interior, it's solid cast resin. A 1/960th interior would be pretty hard to work with, except the huge areas like the landing gear bays. I don't think there's much of an interior to it anyway, it's a tug, so essentially a huge engine with a little bit of crew area toward the bow. And for an independent manufacturer adding an interior raises the price substantially. There's only a few I know of with interiors, the Proteus, and the Landmaster.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, looking forward to getting it.

Glad I went for it too. I've noticed 1 detail I'm not sure about, so I emailed someone reliable to ask. Never emailed this guy before, but evidently he's a great guy. So hoping for a reply. I'll let you know in the near future. Want to get this right.

I'll post some pics when the kit arrives in the off topic gallery, I heard from MiM today and it should ship within the next 5 days.

Well the person I Emailed got back to me. I Emailed Martin Bower, chief model maker on Alien, he confirmed that a detail on the kit is not on the miniature (2 small radars on the upper pod-can be seen in Glen's link). He also told me the correct color to paint it. Seems like a very nice guy.

Expect you to replace the radars before posting pics.

Actually dude that has to be the easiest accurizing tip in history: do not glue these parts on. They were simply removed, so nothing to replace. Now I have to find a paint called zinc plate primer.

Hope you don’t mind me joining in but here are some of my other miniature off topic toys.

The spitfire and moth are actual fully proportional flying models and the plastic mosquito is my next job. I want to replicate it 20% bigger and radio control it.

I run an indoor flying club in the Gym at school every couple of weeks

Sorry to but in.

Cheers

Glen

post-265-1149972815_thumb.jpg

post-265-1149972849_thumb.jpg

post-265-1149972964_thumb.jpg

Glen -

Those planes are tiny. They seemed bigger until I saw them placed on the table with your little girl. What is the range of those planes? Do you build them from a kit?

The mini remote planes are quite big here too. I've never been to any of the flying clubs, but sometimes see them buzzing overhead in the parks. Also, more and more of the stock areas in the hobby shops are devoted to these mini fliers.

-Susanne

Thanks Marg, BTW love the direction the thread is going. Glen, love those planes, indoor flying models are getting popular here too, makes sense with a long winter in these parts.

Chris, the Enterprises I have are: The Polar Lights 1:1000 TOS, and the mammoth 1:350th Refit (that measures out at 34"). The Time Machine I'm working on is the one from the 2002 Dreamworks release. It won't be a dead ringer, I aint Randy Cooper, but It'll be as good as I can make it. For one schweet sci-fi kit the Fine Molds Millennium Falcon is a killer, dear, at $200.00, but well worth the price. I may pick up another Refit since it seems RC-2 are going to drop the Trek license soon. Just keep that in the sealed box.

Hi again. I have Polar Lights' Enterprise 1:1000 scale Enterprise NCC-1701 & NX-01 model kits, & a 1:25 scale DeLorean. It would be great if they made in-scale models of the Enterprises A, B, C, D, & E. I also have a couple of Millennium Falcon models. I won't complain about the price of Fine Molds' Falcon model.

Glen's daughter is a lucky girl. ;)

Actually dude that has to be the easiest accurizing tip in history: do not glue these parts on. They were simply removed, so nothing to replace. Now I have to find a paint called zinc plate primer.

andrew,

The guys at the clubhouse forums may be able to help you find the color your looking for. Congrats on your new aquisition.