problem Piece

nuttiwebgal

I bought this to display my growing collection of blown glass

and I hated it when it came.

so I dry brushed some gold on it...still not happy

how can I take it apart? I would love to have it painted black with gold accents

but the inside has to be done also

and the back panels look crappy as is...something has to be done to them.

any suggestions?

nutti <_<

post-9-1147529565_thumb.jpg

oohhh doogster!

I wouldnt know...wood?

the white paint is almost plastic in feel...its slick didnt take the gold paint very well

but Im sure under it is wood.

its one of the grocer shelves from HBS

Id just like to give it some flair to display my Glass.

and should it be black on the inside or should I leave it white?

<_<

post-9-1147533036_thumb.jpg

If the blown glass is colored I would want to keep the inside color light. That way you can see the colors.

It doesnt necessarily have to be stark white though.

I am letting my brain think. What about keeping the center of each shelf white and run border colors on top and bottom half of back. That way you will have the clean color to frame your glass.

Do you know what I mean or do I need more coffee?

you need more coffeee! :p

the shelves are glass/clear

and yes my glass peices are different colors.

thats why I bought the white.

want to show them off. still wrapped in bubble wrap in the box.

and dont want dust all over them so is why I bought a closed case

<_<

The white paint job, forgive my saying this, looks TERRIBLE in the picture. Could you gently & carefully sand it to give some "tooth" and then try painting it? I really like the idea of leaving the interior white to show off the glass, and painting the exterior a dark color or black. Taking it apart might be more trouble than it's worth...

I cannot paint the interior because I cannot get the doors off to remove the shelves.

uuugggg....but I am going to sand it down at some point. to give a better paint job.

thanks for the help

nutti :)

I also think you should leave the interior white to show up the colored glass better. Is there one color that predominates in your glass collection? or is there one piece that is showier than the rest? you might want to consider painting it to go with a glass color.

Another thing that could work is repainting the whole thing a warm white and rubbing another color over it for an antiquing sort of effect. Some of these little pieces can be a real pain in the neck when you paint them. Even when you paint them all nicely they still sort of just lay there looking like nothing good in particular. I speak from experience...jeeze.

my problem with the interior of this peice is the doors themselves.

it doesnt show but at the top and bottom where they go into the grooves the paint doesnt go all the way

and it is very noticable....as we speak DH is working on it!

nutti

it is apart and now Im gonna play with it!

Ill post when I figure it out!

oh he just popped it out with his knife. :) :lol:

post-9-1147570093_thumb.jpg

Just a thought, could you use that mylar foil stuff you can get at Michael's et al. inside, the silver not the gold, so that the interior looks kinda mirrored. You know, like a curio, with coloured glass it would look tres kewel.

Just a thought, could you use that mylar foil stuff you can get at Michael's et al. inside, the silver not the gold, so that the interior looks kinda mirrored. You know, like a curio, with coloured glass it would look tres kewel.

And you could add a tiny light to really show it off. You can get the mirrored sheets from miniatures.com also.

I've got a couple of mirrored back cabinets in my house. Sometimes they're just right for displaying things and other times the things within them just get sort of lost in the bouncing images.

I just figured I should let you know so if you liked the idea you wouldn't glue anything in place til you checked it out.

You can paint the inside of the cabinet an off-white so it isn't too bright to overwhelm your glassware. You can also use a foil-finish paper such as a gift bag to line the back of the inside.

Why not sand the outside exterior like Holly mentioned, and really rough it up good so it will take paint?

Do a faux finish on it, and this is the fun with faux, you could do a sponged look, (pick out your base color, like you would with a crackle finish, in this case I would use a warm white or a soft buttercream) and then take a contrasting color paint, also in a soft color, and use a sponge to sponge it on with. Another idea is to create a faux marble effect, and after the sponged look is dry, take a liner brush and create 'veins' in a contrasting color. Decide what color marble you wish to simulate first, at Home Depot in the cabinet department they have chip samples of the marble you can do full size counters with.

If your heart is set on a dark color inside, why not just line it with a dark velvet, or even a lighter color in pastel satins? This would give your glassware a lush look, and that white would not be so glaring on your glass pieces, also it would look like a real antique or gallery case.

These are just a few ideas--and don't be afraid of messing up--remember it's only paint! :) But definitely rough up the case's exterior first, you wish the paint to adhere.

Oooo! I like the mirroring and the velveting ideas.

Everyone is so great in here. We put all our mini heads together and it is one big brain full of lots of creative ideas.

I cant wait on what you decide.