Brittle Dura-Craft Newberg

I don't really have a question about the house, more just a sad rant. I purchased a Newberg in the box (opened, but all there) off Ebay a few months ago. I just started working on it today and it is BRITTLE!! I love the look of the house so I am still working on it, but it's just a little disheartening that I hear it crack and snap all the time. We'll see how it goes...otherwise it will be used for parts on another house down the road. Back to work, wish me luck!

I got a Newberg back around February. Although I don't plan to build soon, I removed some scrap wood from around the large pieces and used portions on my Spring Fling. I noticed its brittle nature at once.

Earlier this month, I acquired a Linfield with some missing parts (the sheet blanks are there, between its similarity to the Newberg and the blanks, I'm confidant I can make replacements). The Linfield doesn't feel near as delicate as the Newberg. I thought I'd have the Newberg and Linfield be neighbors as the Smith and Jones, with the Smith's keeping up with the Joness. I thought about flipping the Newberg to give a little more differentiation between the two, but because of the quality of the wood, it will be the Linfield which gets flipped.

Don't give up on your Newberg! If you need any tracing off of parts becoming irreperable damaged to make replacements, just let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Also, using the cutting wheel on a rotary tool from the back of the piece will help. They can be picked up cheeply at Harbor Freight, mine cost about $6 and I'd never give it up!

I got a Newberg back around February. Although I don't plan to build soon, I removed some scrap wood from around the large pieces and used portions on my Spring Fling. I noticed its brittle nature at once.

Earlier this month, I acquired a Linfield with some missing parts (the sheet blanks are there, between its similarity to the Newberg and the blanks, I'm confidant I can make replacements). The Linfield doesn't feel near as delicate as the Newberg. I thought I'd have the Newberg and Linfield be neighbors as the Smith and Jones, with the Smith's keeping up with the Joness. I thought about flipping the Newberg to give a little more differentiation between the two, but because of the quality of the wood, it will be the Linfield which gets flipped.

Don't give up on your Newberg! If you need any tracing off of parts becoming irreperable damaged to make replacements, just let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Also, using the cutting wheel on a rotary tool from the back of the piece will help. They can be picked up cheeply at Harbor Freight, mine cost about $6 and I'd never give it up!

First of all, I LOVE your idea. You should definitely go with it.

I have a rotary tool, I will try that. Thank you!

PLEASE! be VERY careful using any cutting wheel with any rotary tool, because if you're not the wheel can a ) shatter (eyeballs & other body parts don't like flying bits of hot cutting wheel) or b ) hang up in the wood you're trying to cut and something could overheat or c ) you'll hit something in the wood that could cause the rotary tool to kick back and the cutting wheel might wind up cutting substances other than wood. I prefer using a saw for any cutting that needs doing.

Thought I would update, for the past solid 6 hours I have been working with this house. Sanding and assembling. First of all, can I say...WOW what a difference is assembly from Greenleaf! I have the support floor and main floor assembled along with all the exterior walls. It has huge potential and my snaps and crackles from early seem to have been okay with my mending.

Now that the shell is mostly assembled all I am seeing is the house I grew up in. So that's what it will become: an early 1900's Victorian Farmhouse. It will be white with green trim and a green porch, I may even extend the porch to wrap around a little more. I loved that house and we had to sell due to unforeseen circumstances with the previous owner, so this will be a nice tribute.

Okay I'm off to update my gallery, nothing exciting to note yet, just a lot of masking tape and wood!

Thank you everyone for your help. Have a great weekend.

I'm glad I could help. Just know that I didn't follow the instructions exactly, they suggest you build all the window frames and such before installing the walls, but I didn't like that. I'll continue to post pictures of my build. Have a great day, Holly, and everyone!

The wood is brittle because DuraCraft has been out of business for many many years now. Try soaking the pieces in water, then let dry under weights, and you should notice a difference.

I just started working on an orchid I bought recently. What gets me is there are sheets of wood that are beautiful and then there are sheets that are extremely brittle. They are even different colors. I am really stumpified (that is stupified and stumped together) by this :wave: . I did discover on small pieces that are intricate, I used my scroll saw to get next to edges and say cut it out in a square and then stubborn pieces would kinda fall away. I am really putting my spackle to use here. I definately want to try one of the laser cut Tennysons, put talk about spoiling!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Franklin that is built but is in need of a total rehab.. it is very brittle as well.. It kreeks and cracks at every move.. as well, as the Pierce.. it is very brittle as well... I just recently acquired a newburg, havent had a chance to pull it out of the box yet so dont know the condition yet.!!

Kellee