A New way of Grocery Shopping

heidiiiii

Here they always do ask if you want help with your bagging, but generally most people say no. We're just used to doing it ourselves normally. Then I can separate stuff into the bags i want. If they do it, it gets mixed up. In fact, I try and get the groceries onto the conveyor belt as quick as I can so that they don't start scanning and packing before I can get there! :D But I would guess that if they're used to it in the US, then they won't mix the bags up too much. Then it could be fun not to do it myself.

I saw a handful of people using those handhelds. You want to hear a funny. When one of them went up to the check out, the scanner did not work. So they had to re-scan all the stuff in this woman`s cart.

Then I can separate stuff into the bags i want. If they do it, it gets mixed up.

I play a game with them ... I keep like things togther in the cart ... cold things (meat, dairy, frozen foods), vegetables, stuff in square boxes, and bakery goods, generally, and load them onto the conveyor belt in groups. The clerks bag it as it comes, so it's pretty much bagged as I'd like it. I sometimes intersperse milk and litre soda containers along the belt so they're not all put into the same bag. Ditto canned goods. "But I double bagged it for you." "Yes, thank you, but now I can't LIFT it!" :D

I have tried the self scan a half dozen times or more and had to have help with some uncooperative item each time. Give me technology that works, and I'll be happy to use it.

i went with my mom shopping the other day just to use the new scan guns. but i would have to keep reminding ourselves to scan and put the item in a bag every 5 minutes. we kept forgetting we were using it and just threw stuff in the cart. lol i think its easy for a quick trips when your buying 10 or 15 items!

Have never seen the hand held scanners. I've seen and used the self check outs but only if I have a few items.

When I pinch two nerves in my back I used the grocery delivery option and now even though I could do my own shopping I go online, place my order, decide when I want it delivered and it shows up and all I have to do is put it away. I love it. I don't mind paying the $10.00 delivery charge. My time and energy that I save is well worth that...and I can shop in my jammies!!!!!

I shop at Kroger's in Dallas and usually use the self check out. This system works OK for me but I sure don't use when I see a family with a cart full and they have no clue how to use the system and block up the whole line. There is always an attendant available "for assistance" but I think they also keep an eye out for those that are trying to steal.

The Walmart in Plano is going to remove the self check out as theft has gotten out of hand. The manager told me it just isn't work the trouble.

There was this mother in the grocery store the other day with her two young children. I heard her say that the hand scanners were taking more time to use then just putting it in the cart and going to the checkout.

I have a feeling it will not last. The only thing I DO like is the special scales they have in produce. You weigh your food, punch in the price per pound/what the item is, and it will print out a sticker of the actual price of your item. I think that part is a keeper! At least for me.

The only thing I DO like is the special scales they have in produce. You weigh your food, punch in the price per pound/what the item is, and it will print out a sticker of the actual price of your item. I think that part is a keeper! At least for me.

This sounds like a great thing. I hate it when the checker doesn't even know what the produce is, especially if they don't ask but take a flying guess. I've caught more than one ringing it up wrong.

I, too, get a shock when Northerners talk about bagging their own groceries! Down in S. TX you never bag your own groceries, and only take them out to the car yourself if you really want to. In fact, the other day when the cashier asked if I had found everything I suddenly remember I forgot the milk. I told her I forgot the milk, and she sent someone back there to get it for me! I didn't lose my place in line, and by the time the cashier was finished, the other lady came back with my milk.

Andrea, even here in the Heartland we have full service groceries. At one locally owned and operated store in Marshall and another in Sedalia, you nearly have to hijack the cart to take your own groceries out to the car. It's a real treat.