How much do you pay for electricity per month?

heidiiiii

We have a whole house fan that we use more then the a/c. We turn it on when the temperature starts to drop and it does cool off the house. The only prroblem is it is mounted in the ceiling in our bedroom. It would be nice if there was a hallway or another room to put it in, so it could run the entire night but in our little cottage that wasn't possible. but it does pull the air in on the north side of the house. John can sleep with it running, but the noise keeps me awake. We only use the a/c when the humidity is extremely high. both of us hate the closed in feeling that a house gets with windows and doors closed. Bad enough in the winter.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I love me AC. Lekkie bill is definitely going up in the summer, but the gas bill will go down. I'll just have to play with the registers to get a decent mix on both floors. I'll have to see if I can block the registers in the basement. I got an unfinished basement since I want to use it for model and house building. Usually they put 1 register in the unfinished basements, but I'd mentioned to the builder what I was using the basement for and they put in 3 (like they do in the finished basements so it wouldn't be too cold in the winter. They did it as a surprise, nice of them really. But there aren't covers over them.

We have a whole house fan and use it as much as we can. We have lots of big windows and DH does not want them covered. I went ahead and it does make a difference. We do not use the AC unless it is really muggy out.

I don't think I could give up air conditioning. It's supposed to be 100 here on Thursday, and May is just getting started! When we bought the house, one of the first things we did was buy one of those Anderson storm doors that has a screen in it that rolls down out of the top, so you can actually have a half screen door. It's great for letting fresh air in, but once it gets hot, most new houses are just not designed for great cross ventilation. We're hoping all the trees will help keep the house cooler, but we are probably going to be turning the air on this week.

I just got my bill. It's down to $250. Half of what it is normally.

I would love to hang my clothes outside. However, I have a lot of trees and the trees are full of birds. And birds poop. A lot.

Last luau we had, I had 2 large tents set up. We also had small umbrellas for people to get from one tent to another as well as a bunch of market umbrellas set up. All the local birds had just raided someones garden of raspberries. It looked like a war zone, all that red bird poo on the white tents....

Mine was just under $150 for gas and elec. combined. The only thing so far good about this house is the windows are fairly new and it's steel siding. I keep it at 72 in winter and 80 or a little less in summer. I'd rather be too hot than too cold.