First Album

Nina and Grunt

Just started my first album finally of my first dollhouse. It is a custom made masonite DH... here's a little background info:

I just purchased my first Greenleaf dollhouse... Its the Beacon Hill! I've always loved dollhouses. The first one I ever remember seeing was my Great Aunts when I was about five. It was magical! She even had electricity in it!(I wanted it sooo bad and I still do!)It was absolutely beautiful. I haven't seen it for probably 10 or more years but I won't forget it.

Anyway when I was little she bought another dollhouse at a yard sale and was going to finish it but decided to take it apart and send it to me.(I used to live in Oregon) I don't remember exactly when I got it but I know I was way too little to know how to put it back together. One Christmas not too long after my parents got me a wiring kit for it, which only turned out to be even more mind boggling.(I think I as about 7) My dad was going to help me build it but as things go he was just to busy.

After many years my family moved (with the dollhouse pieces) and the dollhouse was stored and forgotten. Well now its been almost twelve years and a couple of basement floods. I mistakenly assumed that this old dollhouse had been thrown away. Funny how it goes, I remembered that old wiring kit and that I must have stored it some place safe. I would surely need it for my new Beacon Hill!

Well sure enough what did I find with that kit but my old disassembled dollhouse! I looked in a couple of other places and found the base. I knew my parents and of course my Great Aunt would be heart broken if I built the new house and left the old one. So I've decided that since I have recently become an aunt myself to my beautiful niece Evie, I will build the old house specifically for her and give it to her; electricity and all when she's old enough. (It will probably take me that long to finish it!) This will of course teach me a few little things I should know before I build the Beacon Hill and hopefully be a huge motivator to get to building my own dollhouse!

Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think. I hope you enjoy! :p

I posted in the General Forum.

How do you use the egg carton to make the bricks?
Julie, I think there;s a link posted somewhere in the Forum to an online site tutorial for making egg carton bricks.

I agree with Gina, it is going to be gorgeous. Those floors look amazing. What kind of glue did you use? Did they warp at all?, they don't look like it. How do you use the egg carton to make the bricks?

Will be watching your progress.

Julie

I'm sure this is a no no but for the floors I made a template and used super glue ( wood glue and others just takes too long) make sure the glue does not get on the surface of the floor and also make sure to sand the floors really well before you stain and varnish. Varnish will help to hold them together too. They have warped a little but once they are secured to the subflooring they will straighten out. :) Some one mentioned a tutorial for the brick somewhere, but I usually end up just winging it. PM me if you want more details. :banana:

Actually I rather like the brick walls, to bad they are fake probably paper? . With the changes you are making it has an almost formal Georgian look. You have a really nice house and I think it is going to be spectacular when you are finished.

I posted in the General Forum.Julie, I think there;s a link posted somewhere in the Forum to an online site tutorial for making egg carton bricks.
I have done several searches and not found that particular tutorial yet. Deb posted a link for tuts today but did not see that particular one. Will keep trying. Any reason you can't just use the oven bake clay, roll it out the right thickness, cut to size, and bake? Seems like it would work for a small project at least, like a fireplace, entryway, walkway. I also wonder can you use the oven bake clay to make paper clay using the clay recipe, and use it to make bricks? or would the paper part burn up? Maybe I should post some of these questions in a seperate topic.

I'm sure this is a no no but for the floors I made a template and used super glue ( wood glue and others just takes too long) make sure the glue does not get on the surface of the floor and also make sure to sand the floors really well before you stain and varnish. Varnish will help to hold them together too. They have warped a little but once they are secured to the subflooring they will straighten out. :) Some one mentioned a tutorial for the brick somewhere, but I usually end up just winging it. PM me if you want more details. :banana:

Thanks Nina, I did my porch with popsicle sticks and sat a brick on them. Can't always set a brick on them though. I bought some flooring that I haven't used yet and it is very thin so have been a little worried about it warping, might have to try the superglue, maybe the gel won't warp it.

Julie