Building question/Poll

woodinville guy

I found it easier to paint after the shell was assembled. The first Primrose I did, I primed the sheets before taking piece out and it warped a little. When I did my Laurel I put the shell together the painted. I am painting the trim as I go. We did the same with the girls' Buttercups.

Hi Dave, I have only worked on a few projects and they have been easy to paint. My very first project was a RGT's conservatory. I did paint individual pieces first (and wallpaper individually) then put it together. To make a long story short I plan to paint as i go on all of my diecut houses. my 3/8 inch plywood and mdf stuff i don't think i will. I'll see when i get to those kits. :D I think you can do a neater, cleaner job that way with the diecut kits. Of course with all the kits I would definately paint my trim and windows separately. Just my individual preference. :lol: Margarita

I seal and paint/paper the shell of the house after it is assembled. Their are a few exceptions. When I built the Mckinnely. there is a small hallway in the back. Once the shell is assembled it would be very difficult to decorate it after assembly. In the beacon hill the hall walls by the staircase need to be papered before the stairs are installed. In the Garfield I am building I have noticed a few places that would be difficult to decorate after it is completly together so I am decorating just the hard to reach section, where I will not be running electric to.So far those sections are the curved part abd inside oif the kitchen curved wall. The stairwell in the second floor,second floor bedrrom closet area. Am also installing doors and trim to the closet area. I also am sealing the pieces on the Garfield before assembly due to something being on the wood ( was half built with hot glue when I got it), That makes me break out in hive when I touch it. After the pieces are sealed I can touch it without breaking out. I also paint the outside trim before I assemble it.

Melissa

wondering if people paint the pieces prior to assembly or after they are assembled. I am painting the pieces as I go along and then gluing them in place.

I prefer to do it all first, or as I go along, but sometimes I do it afterwards because I may need to fill gaps.