1/2" scale

CatColorado

I was looking at the new stuff at HBS and saw a pagoda-style gazebo in 1/2" scale and I almost bought it. It just got me to thinking about all kinds of new projects I could do. So, I was wondering who else was working in this scale, or who might like to try.

Well I am starting my swap stuff but can't really talk about that :D I did make flowers for the spring swap that would be good in 1/2 scale too. I used a tiny flower punch and an even tinier hole puch for the center. I will have to dig out the punches for sizes. I did just finish some purfume bottles!

I just made a new doll, an elderly man. I'm still working on my farmhouse. The exterior is done except for the shingles and I still have to make the porch. That's what has slowed me up, I don't want to shingle OR make a porch. Maybe I should get the interior finished, that might inspire me to build the blasted porch.

p.s. Melanie, I just added your couch tutorial to the tutorial listing :D

Any pictures of the perfume bottles? How big did they end up being?

I just made a new doll, an elderly man.

Pictures, please. I have the Fantasy Villa and two Fairfields I want to bash together one day, and I shall probably want to move into making everything else in 1:24 scale, I had so much fun with the toy swap. But not for a while.

The hairbrush & mirror remind me of a silver set someone sent me for my HS graduation, they were HUGE! and I had long, thick hair, baby fine, and the hairbrush didn't brush worth anything.

I have a set of 1:24 scale furniture in a diecut kit, so I appreciate seeing how it'll look assembled.

Our club is working on a 1/2" scale garden scene - Saturday we'll start the project. I've not worked in 1/2" scale before so it will be interresting. I heard we're starting with 1/2" scale wicker :D - oh well all I can do is my best.. and hope it turns out

-David

Melanie, I think the brush set looks fine. As Holly said, those silver sets are often oversized and they look great with all of the other pieces on the desk. Are you going to paint or stain the furniture? I have that set, although I have cannibalized several pieces for other projects.

David, I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your garden scene. Linda gave me a beautiful 1/2" scale sundial and I need to make the perfect setting for it. You know, Terri makes exquisite 1/2" wicker. If you run into problems, she might be able to give you some pointers.

Holly, I gave the little man away before getting a picture. I'll see if I can get them to send me a picture to post.

One of theses days I will get around to doing something with the furniture. They are not even glued yet. :D I just had to get them together to see what they looked like. I am changing them alittle in that I am going to make the drawers working but the rest is pretty good I think. The doors open and such. I have been trying to finish up some of my 1/12 houses so I have not done very much to this one yet. I was thinking this would be my only 1/2 scale house, but I have a few pieces that just don't fit so who knows. :lol:

I sort of experimented with the Haunted House furniture to see if I could make it look better without resorting to the "folk art" painting I did on the Sugarplums' pieces. I figured out some things I'd do differently with the upholstered pieces I'll try with the couch & armchairs with this Coventry. I'll try something with the "kitchen" chairs with this kit to see if I can make them less jigsaw puzzle-ish.

Thanks for the compliment on my wicker Cat. I'm weaving some right now while I read posts. David I'm sure you'll do fine with the garden and wicker pieces. I 'd like to see them when you're done. If you have a problem let me know.

Melanie, your bottles and comb set look good, but what was the red thing on the floor?

I'm trying to talk myself into starting my Fairfield. I want to paperclay the exterior. Do you think it will look good done that way?

The red thing is a scew cover. It is an old tin house and they put covers over the screw end so the child would not hurt themselves. I have not figured out what to do with them so I think I will just leave it for now. Maybe I can spray them white or something so they are not so noticable. :D

I nearly forgot, the Aubusson carpet I began to stitch last year is looking 1:24 scale, the linen is a much closer weave than I realized, slthough I ought to have been clued by it's taking a single strand of floss instead of doubled, as for my other 1:12 rugs. Valerie from Sweden inspired me and I plan to copy the medallions for new chair seats for the 1:24 dining chairs.

I have a 1/2" scale castle I am working on still. It's Cremins Castle. I gotta post pictures of it. I wish I knew how to make cool carpets and stuff. Ohhh I wish I could do dolls. The troll was a great start but I wanna make cool people like Cat does LOL. :D I do plan on working on my doll skills this year (As if I have any skills in that area LOL).

You are so sweet, Tracy! I never though to take pictures of the doll-making process. I figure I am probably doing it wrong and I didn't want everyone to know! I will take step-by-step pictures of the next 1/24th doll I make and will post the pictures on the forum for anyone interested. The hardest parts are the hands and the feet because they are so tiny. Dressing them is a bit fiddly as well, I use lots of glue.

I do plan on working on my doll skills this year (As if I have any skills in that area LOL).

I would love to take a doll making class! Maybe we can all meet at Cat's house?

Send me the time and date! Will all learn how Cat "does not make dolls" :D . I think they are great but you know how it goes, we always see faults in our own work, right. Ruby Cat, you do excellent work and I hope I can do as good as you one day. Holly also does beautiful dolls. So much talent in this group.

Very funny, Linda! It would have to be called "How Not to Make A Doll" Class

Nuh uh! You're tellin' stories! I've seen those beautiful 1/2 scale dolls and the adorable little preemie baby! I know better!

Looks like I may be headed a bit off topic here by now but I thought I'd check in on 1/2 scale stuff. I totally forgot about my lighthouse which is all finished except for the roof of the entrance. I almost bought some tar type shingles yesterday at the shop but it sort of bugged me that it was 5$ for a roll of cut paper.. on the other hand if I Had to cut that entire length of paper into tiny shingles it would sure be worth the price to buy it already made! But I have such a small roof to paper that I'm thinking about trying to find an alternative for it - maybe paperclay even.

The class yesterday was fun but challenging! I got only about 1/2 finished with my 1/2" scale wicker chair. It wasn't as hard as everyone had been saying but it was a bit slower and more fussy than in 1" scale. I'm looking forward to getting it finished!

Cat do you have photos of your 1/2" scale dolls up anywhere? I'd love to see them!

-David

The class yesterday was fun but challenging! I got only about 1/2 finished with my 1/2" scale wicker chair. It wasn't as hard as everyone had been saying but it was a bit slower and more fussy than in 1" scale. I'm looking forward to getting it finished!

-David

Sounds like you had fun David! I think I'd like to start taking classes on how to make little things too. I know my local dollhouse store has classes here and there.

Whoa! You're all finished with the lighthouse? I wanna see. I just painted the roof on mine to match the rest of the trim. It never occurred to me to shingle it, but I was still a newbie when I built it. Paperclay would look great on the roof.

I only have a couple of pics of the little dolls, I haven't made many so far

Marguerite

Holly also does beautiful dolls.

And Tracy is SO sweet! I adore Marguerite! What a great little face! I still have to make 1:12 dolls for the pub, etc, but I do want to move into 1:24, too.