1/2" scale

CatColorado

Whoa! You're all finished with the lighthouse? I wanna see. I just painted the roof on mine to match the rest of the trim. It never occurred to me to shingle it, but I was still a newbie when I built it. Paperclay would look great on the roof.

I only have a couple of pics of the little dolls, I haven't made many so far

Marguerite

Cat,

Marguerite looks great! I've been really hessitant to try anything in 1/2" inch but the lighthouse clinched it for me - always wanted a lighthouse and the price was right! You know i can't pass up a deal :lol: well.. at least it's very difficult for me to lol :lol: It's not finished on the inside - just the outside, mostly, - I still have to paint the roof or shigle it (the entry part) and paint the eves of the lighthouse roof.. but what I really want to do with the top is cover it in copper - if I'd been smart I would have made a template before I glued the roof together. My hindsight is 20/20 :D Here's a pic of the house so far. As you can see I decided that my lighthouse keeper... like me.. is basically a lazy guy and wouldn't want to have to paint trim a different color :lol: so it's all white :lol:

-David

Sounds like you had fun David! I think I'd like to start taking classes on how to make little things too. I know my local dollhouse store has classes here and there.

Linda you should take some classes if you can. I love it! It's really nice to have someone there to straighten me out if I make a mistake and it's really nice just to be in the same room with a bunch of other miniaturists all working on stuff together. We have it pretty good here the gal who owns the shop also runs the club so on club day we buy the supplies from her and the class is free! too cool :o

-David

post-86-1144626943_thumb.jpg

The lighthouse looks great! Did you decide how you were going to finish the interior? I remember that you were thinking about paperclay?

Thanks for the compliments on Marguerite. I really need to work on making different faces though, they kinda all look alike.

Great lookin' lighthouse David! I never realized how fabulous and realistic those things looked!

When I was in Chicago, one of the classes near us was doing a hat shop in a hat box. It was pretty cool! I wouldn't mind doing that, but I think mostly I would like to learn how to make and dress dolls.

The lighthouse looks great! Did you decide how you were going to finish the interior? I remember that you were thinking about paperclay?

I thought about doing block work inside but in the end I just painted it white too. Actually I'm really not unhappy with how it looks - I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do the paperclay thin enough to not mess with the windows and archecture stuff. So now it's just a matter of decorating it - since there really isn't alot of space for living quarters I'm going to go very nauticle and sort of rough - caretaker stuff, not comfy victorian :)

Linda - thanks :) it was a really easy build the whole thing is of mdf so the siding is already milled right onto the pieces but I have to say it wasn't as much fun as the greenleaf houses. And harder to fix my mistakes on too since the glue really seems to soak into the mdf and make a very very strong bond. And yes I read the instructions wrong :) hey I have to mess up once on every house or it wouldn't be mine lol :lol:

-David

I messed up on mine too! Everything was going great until I got to the front door.

Oh you're good! Just the front door? I glued the center floor in wrong!.. and let it dry! :) I thought I was going to break the whole house appart trying to get those towerlike walls appart again - oy. I actually did split one wall right around the door but it split in the center vertically from teh door jam right in the center so it doesn't show - amazingly the split is like a sandwich.. it doesn't come through front of back walls just up the center between them - now that's what I call a lucky break! :lol: :)

-David

Oh you're good! Just the front door? I glued the center floor in wrong!.. and let it dry! :) I thought I was going to break the whole house appart trying to get those towerlike walls appart again - oy. I actually did split one wall right around the door but it split in the center vertically from teh door jam right in the center so it doesn't show - amazingly the split is like a sandwich.. it doesn't come through front of back walls just up the center between them - now that's what I call a lucky break! :lol: :)

-David

giggle snort "Lucky break" :)

I should post a picture of my "oops" because I still don't know what it's supposed to look like so I can fix it.

Hey David, do you want to join in on the 1/2" swap for May? There's only four of us signed up.

Yes David join the swap! I loved the hat and parasol you did for the 1/12 one. :)

Well it sounds like you all have voted me into it - I still have plenty of time it looks like - I'll check the deadline and the theme is accessories? does that mean any kind of item? I haven't finished the chair yet but I'll see about getting a photo of it even in it's 1/2 done stage. Why is it I don't have any trouble finding time to go to class and work on them but when I get home I have to try to make time to work on my minis :) hmph! sometimes I irritate myself :lol:

-David

YEAHH!!!!! David has joined too!!

Now let's see what I can make.... Tell me, what projects are you all working on in 1/2" scale to help give me ideas

:) - well you know the kind of stuff I like to work on :) but on the normal side I've also got the lighthouse to furnish (it's completely blank inside so far except for being painted white so just about anything could go in it) and I'm working on a 1/2" scale garden room box :lol:

-David

Glad to have you with us David.

I don't have alot of things in 1/2 scale either. But I am definately going to start my Fairfield this week. It has beaten me down yelling and screaming at me from under the work bench. I have the instructions out and read them several times. Now I'm sure I want to paperclay the outside. I'm getting excited.

terri

Hmm, things I am currently making in 1/2"... a farmhouse, reupholstering some Aztec furniture, some ****** for the swap, painted a fireplace, and made a chest of drawers. I also have a little blob of clay left over from a doll that wants to become something in 1/2".

Glad to have you with us David.

I don't have alot of things in 1/2 scale either. But I am definately going to start my Fairfield this week. It has beaten me down yelling and screaming at me from under the work bench. I have the instructions out and read them several times. Now I'm sure I want to paperclay the outside. I'm getting excited.

terri

Whoo hoo! Awesome! Jump on that house girlfriend!