Making dh clothes takes longer than the doll

alycemina

I am getting a little better at FIMO sculpting dolls but what I realize is that it takes several times longer to make clothes for the doll than making the doll. So now, I am going to only work on the best dolls I make. I also bought some glass doll eyes (4mm) and they make such a difference in the doll face. If I dont like the way the doll comes out, I can pry the eyes out and reuse.

Is this what you all doll makers have found too?

ps My singer featherweight sewing machine arrived and it is so cute. I cant wait to try it out.

I'm only at the stage of making my first family of dolls. I used molds for the heads, hands and feet; and wire armature, cotton balls wrapped with bias-cut material and tacky glue to form the body. Still giving them shape. Have looked at sites for making clothes, but am not quite there yet.

All of my dolls are of porcelain, and I do not like glass or clay eyes. I prefer to paint the eyes as it is my opinion and my preference. I've been making porcelain dolls since the 80's. Most of my dolls have half arms and legs for better posing, but I also do solid one-piece unposeable dolls as well. They make a lot more fiddling with than the half arms and legs, but I really like them. The last baby I did (the toddler) is all one piece. Put together in the "just out of the mold" mode, they are fired, painted etc., all in one piece.