Recipe Swap?

katethesape

FYI, keep in mind that ANY sweetener, even the artificial ones, will raise the glucose level in the blood, and that is what you're trying to control, so using a sugar substitute won't make any difference. The absolutely best way to control blood sugar/ glucose is counting those carbs! and carbs is carbs, so let him enjoy an occasional taste of cake with the family and give him control by letting him choose what & when.

I saw on another website that someone who was having a hard time financially had a great tip for feeding your family with Hamburger Helper. She added kidney beans when she did not have meat to put in it.

I do not really do Hamburger Helper anymore but I thought that was a great idea! You get your protein from the beans and it is filling.

FYI, keep in mind that ANY sweetener, even the artificial ones, will raise the glucose level in the blood, and that is what you're trying to control, so using a sugar substitute won't make any difference. The absolutely best way to control blood sugar/ glucose is counting those carbs! and carbs is carbs, so let him enjoy an occasional taste of cake with the family and give him control by letting him choose what & when.

Yup. Artificial sweeteners will trick your brain into thinking you are eating regular sugar. It will act the same way as if you are eating sugar. This is what I was told from a physician at the Joslin Diabetes center. BTW..you should see if there is a Joslin Clinic in your area. That would be a wonderful place to take him and they do everything there..visits, testing, nutrition.

You can try different ways of sweetening like using honey, turbinado sugar, brown sugar, Apple sauce or Agave Nectar. I personally do not like artificial sweeteners.

Latest (2008) results from testing in the US is that sugar alcohols (often used as artificial sweetners, such as sorbitol, etc.) are NOT to be counted as carbs, but are not to be used often. Yesterday, diabetic nurse at the children's hospital said that they used to count half of these calories. Now, they are treated like fibre. Still have to uses them only insmall amounts, otherwise there will be other problems.

Thanks for the info. I do appreciate it.

P.S. Am in regular contact with the hospital today.

Since DH & I are on a low-fat (low carb, because supposedly carb also turns to fat) diet, so tonight when I make muffins I'll use a cup of old-fashioned oatmeal with a cup of flour and a half cup each of raisins and applesauce and two tablespoonsful of fat-free yogurt, with a wee pinch of dark brown sugar & cinnamon sprinkled on top. You'd be amazed what you can sub in baking and your tastebuds can't tell.

Since DH & I are on a low-fat (low carb, because supposedly carb also turns to fat) diet, so tonight when I make muffins I'll use a cup of old-fashioned oatmeal with a cup of flour and a half cup each of raisins and applesauce and two tablespoonsful of fat-free yogurt, with a wee pinch of dark brown sugar & cinnamon sprinkled on top. You'd be amazed what you can sub in baking and your tastebuds can't tell.

Holly ... I just made these with the above ingredients and came out with 8 oatmeal rocks. Fine smelling rocks, to be sure, but rocks. Is there something missing? Like a liquid? The half C applesauce and 2T yogurt barely moistened the oatmeal and flour mix.

I didn't post the whole recipe, just the substitutions! Sorry.

1 cup self-rising flour

1/2 cup oatmeal (I also managed to mix up my quantities here, it's 1/2 cup oatmeal for each 1 cup flour)

1 - 3 Tpsp dark brown sugar

1/2 cup raisins or other fruit of preference

cinnamon, ginger to taste

1/4 cup egg substitute (Egg Beaters) or 1 egg

2 Tbsps fat-free yogurt

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/3 cup fat-free milk

Stir the dry ingredients together & make a well, stir together the wit ingredients & pour them into the well and stir together until all the dry ingredients are moistened, divide equally into muffin tins (this recipe makes 6 muffins) & bake at 400 degrees until golden and metal skewer comes out clean, about 25 minutes.

Kathie, my humblest apologies!

I'm going to blame that on my Sometimer's Syndrome, AKA CRS!

it, now I have a muffin craving! Using half Craisins and half the "golden"/ sulfured raisin makes beautiful, yummy muffins, and i still have pecans in the freezer.... Hmmm.