Recipe Swap?

katethesape

Hey all,

I have recently discovered that while I prefer a myriad of weird and interesting foods...my new hubby prefers his comfort foods of stroganoff, macaroni, and spaghetti.

I have been attempting to 'tickle his tastebuds' with some new recipes, which have met with quite a bit success. BUT I am running out of ideas for soups/pastas/desserts/etc.

(And when he cooks, it's usually one of his favorites - but hey, thank goodness he cooks!)

SO...I will put some recipes up for you guys that I use if you will kindly send me some yummy recipes that we will both enjoy!

Thanks a heap!

CAKE COOKIES

You need:

(1) boxed cake mix (any kind - I have tried strawberry, orange, and chocolate, all turned out yummy!)

(1) 8oz. container of Cool Whip

(2) eggs

Powdered sugar (Put to side in bowl)

Preheat oven to 325

MIX: boxed cake mix, 2 eggs, and Cool Whip together until they are thoroughly mixed.

dust fingers with powdered sugar and begin making balls of the mixture, dipping them in the powdered sugar bowl until covered. Drop on a cookie sheet.

(This recipe makes about 2 1/2 cookie sheets full)

Bake 7-10 minutes. When they come out of the oven, wait for them to cool before trying to eat them, as they will crumble unless you let them harden first!!

Enjoy!! (I'm trying a pineapple one next week...)

-

Easy Easy Chicken and Rice Soup

YOU NEED:

1 large container of chicken broth

1/2 bag of rice (or thereabouts)

2-3 pieces of chicken

Parsley, onion/celery salt to taste

Cook the rice in the chicken broth while you bake the chicken in the oven.

When the chicken is done, cut it into small pieces and put into the pot with the rice/chicken broth.

Put parsley/onion salt into the mix and simmer for about 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

I like to toast bread and put a slice of cheese and some garlic salt on it to go with this.

Kate,

I will add things when I think about it but if you want something now, you can do a search. Go in the main Chit Chat page and scroll down to the bottom and type in Recipes or Recipe in the box. All the threads that have that word will come up.

Thanks for sharing

Edit: If you want something unusual, you can check out my blog down below here in my post. I just posted a recipe for Spicy Fried tofu that I made for dinner last night. Vegan can get unusual.

Don't forget that "American Chop Suey" thread. We're having potatos & ham au gratin for supper tonight, I'll slice a couple of redskinned taters in the madelaine and a sweet onion and layer it in a cooking-sprayed iron skiilet with slices of turkey ham, cover it with foil and bake it at 300-325 for a while; and serve brussels sprouts with peanutbutter and hotsauce for a side dish.

I don't know if you belong to allrecipies.com but it rocks!

I like that you have the option to put in whatever ingredients you want and they come up with recipes that have it and have been rated well by other users.

In fact, I'm making something new today (Warning- not healthy at all!):

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

2 chicken breasts, cooked and deboned

1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup

1 (8 ounce) container sour cream

1/2 cup butter

40 buttery round crackers

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Chop chicken into small pieces and place in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.

Mix soup and sour cream and pour over chicken. Dot with butter or margarine. Crumble crackers finely and put on top of chicken mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes.

I'm going to double the soup, and put in more sour cream +cheddar cheese. I do dislike dry food. I'm going to cook the chicken first with onion and garlic. This was another users suggestion. They had white wine in there as another one, but I'm omitting that.

Try that site, you'll like it!

S

Thanks, guys!

Sabrina, that sounds delish...I will have to try that this week! (I love peas)

Havanaholly, thanks, I looked that up and there are some very tasty-sounding recipes!!

And Heidi - I used to be vegetarian and actually miss tofu (and, by the way, TVP sloppy joes are AWESOME)!! I'll have to try that (and sneak some into my DH's mouth - he is quite skeptical of my veggie-loving ways, haha!)

Fred changed his mind about the birthday cake he wants. He wants a cake that a nurse at work brought in one day. It is a Key Lime Bundt Cake. He is not a fan of frosting so I think I will do this instead. I already bought the limes and I will make a mini of it in vegan version for Chelsea.

Key Lime Bundt Cake (if you cannot get key limes, regular limes will do just fine)

Best made the day before. Helpful to have one of those microplane graters for lime zest. I think I use a bit more zest than the recipe calls for. Enjoy!

Fine dry bread crumbs & softened butter (for coating pan)

3 cups sifted all-purpose flour

2 tsps baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

8 oz unsalted butter, at room temp.

2 cups sugar

4 extra large or jumbo eggs (I often use 5 large eggs)

1 cup milk

Finely grated zest of 3 limes, preferably key limes

Glaze:

1/2 cup fresh key lime juice or 1/4 cup each lime & lemon juice

3/4 cup sugar

Oven 350 degrees

Butter 10 inch tube pan (I use my Bundt pan) and sprinkle w/ bread crumbs (coat - use a lot of butter)

Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.

Beat butter till soft, gradually add sugar, beat 'till light & fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down bowl after each addition.

On lowest speed, alternately add dry ingredients & milk, scraping bowl as nec. and beating just to mix each addition.

Stir in lime zest by hand.

Pour half the batter on one side of pan, half in other. Level top by briskly rotating pan back and forth.

Bake until cake tester comes out clean, about 1 1/4 hours. Let cool slightly on wire rack - 10-15 mins.

Stir lime juice and sugar together just to mix.

Place cake rack on tube pan and invert and place rack over foil. Using pastry brush, brush glaze all over warm cake until completely absorbed. Brush on any glaze that drips onto foil.

Let cake cool completely & transfer to cake platter. Let stand loosely covered for several hours or preferably over night. When ready, outside of cake will be completely dry.

The nurse at Fred`s job actually poked holes in the cake before she poured the glaze over it. That way it seeped inside of the cake also.

Here's one the guys like at my house

CLUB FRIED CHICKEN

20-30 Keebler Club crackers

1 heaped tablespoon flour

2 tablespoon dry potato flakes

1 tbl seasoned salt

1/2 (or 1/4) teaspoon ground black pepper

Dash garlic powder

1 egg

oil for frying

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Place crackers in a large resealable plastic bag; seal bag and crush crackers until they are coarse crumbs. Add flour, potato flakes, seasoned salt, and pepper to bag and mix well. Beat egg in a shallow dish or bowl; heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. One by one, dredge chicken pieces in egg beat, then place in bag with crumb mixture, seal bag and shake to coat. Reduce heat to medium and cook coated chicken in skillet for 15 to 20 minutes, turning frequently, until golden brown and juices run clear.

another version

FAMOUS BUTTER CHICKEN

I serve it with Country gravy, mix or home made

1 egg, beaten w water

1 ½ cup crushed Town house crackers

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp garlic

¼ tsp pepper

1 tsp. Mrs Dash

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

1/2 cup butter ,melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

Place eggs and cracker crumbs in two separate shallow bowls. Mix cracker crumbs with seasonings. Dip chicken in the eggs, then dredge in the crumb mixture to coat.

Arrange coated chicken in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Pour butter on chicken.

Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.

grazhina, I'm going to try that next week!

Thanks for the recipes, keep them coming if you'd like!

Here's another recipe for you all:

Lemonade Pie

You will need:

1 small can condensed milk

2 8oz containers of Cool Whip

2 graghm cracker crusts

1 regular sized can of lemonade/pink lemonade/limeade (whichever, they are all good!)

put the crusts aside for later.

put both containers of Cool Whip into a bowl and stir until soft (or soften by letting them sit out for a while!)...add the lemonade and the condensed milk. Mix it well.

Pour the mixture into the two crusts and place in refrigerator. Best overnight or at the least, 5 or 6 hours.

These are DELISH. I have made them SEVERAL times and they are always a hit!

OOOH, that sounds good! Although I'm going to copy it for summer....too cold for lemonade type pie or for key lime pie right now....

I think that famous butter chicken is going to be on the menu in the next weeeeek (that was my sing song voice!)

Thank you!

S

My son made some chicken last week that is just wonderful, and so easy to fix. We don't fry stuff, so this is a great way to make some chicken.

Soak skinless chicken breasts in a bag or bowl of picante sauce (salsa), however hot a style you prefer. he used Pace medium. Then dredge in fine bread crumbs, lay in pan sprayed with Pam, and bake at 350 until done. That's it, and it tastes incredible! I had my doubts when I saw him fixing it, but it's wonderful and still juicy and tender.

Actually that works for any meat with any marinade. I like to use the sun-dried tomato vinaigrette and either chicken, lamb or pork. Try mixing a bit of grated parmesan cheese with the bread crumbs, too.

Hey everybody!

Here's a new recipe I came up with the other night - I used to make a "Chicken Broccoli Braid" (Chicken/Broccoli Salad type thing wrapped in croissants and baked) but hubby doesn't like broccoli...so I did this instead:

2 cans of croissants

1 small bag of instant mashed potatoes (about 4 cups)

1 pound of turkey

Garlic, Celery Seed, Salt/Pepper & Oregano to taste (Or try Dill Weed...Rosemary...Italian seasoning...just try your favorites that you know mix well!)

Queso Dip (enough to cover the bottom layer of bread)

First: cook the meat and make the mashed potatoes.

Then:

Unwrap the croissants and place the wide ends together. Should look like this: <> They should be put like this, top and bottom of each <> touching, so they resemble this: (a 'log') (Two cookie pans are needed. You are making 2 'logs')

<>

<>

<>

<>

<>

etc.

Mix meat, potatoes, and seasonings into a bowl (medium-sized).

Spoon Queso dip along the middle of the croissant 'logs'.

Spread mixture of meat/potatoes/seasonings on top of Queso Dip. You can make this about an inch high. Then take the small sides of the croissants, one on each side, and wrap on top of the mixture. Repeat until you have wrapped the mixture in dough.

Bake for about 10 minutes.

It's pretty tasty, and you can vary this recipe however you'd like! We are trying garlic macaroni chicken next time...

Thanks again for all the recipes, I'm excited to try them!

Heidi, instead of the Croissant dough, try your recipe with the Pepperidge Farms puff pastry sheets. I unfold them when the dough thaws enough to do so, and lay them out on lightly sprayed baking sheets and cut the outer thirds at right angles to the fold into at least eight strips. After I mound whatever I'm going to fill them with down the middle third, I fold the strips over, alternating side to side, so that when it's finished it looks like a braid. If you want a shiny look when it's baked you can brush a little milk on the dough; DH & I dive right in as soon as I get it out of the oven & onto the plates, so shiny isn't really important.

Anybody know of a dessert I can make that my diabetic son can eat? My birthday is next week, and I'd love to be able to make some sort of dessert that we can all have, but haven't made it to the bookstore yet (no time!) to get ideas for low carb/diabetic cooking.

There are sugar free puddings you can make. you can even put them in pie shells and call it a pie! Most cake mixes nowadays give instructions for using Splenda instead of sugar. Not quite the same taste, but I don't notice any aftertaste to it. You can use it in just about anything that calls for sugar. I know they say it's not good for you, but diabetics have to have something sweet on occasion, and this is the best substitute available.

If you type in Diabetic recipes, you should find a bunch online.

Also, try and plan out his meals that day so that his carb of cake can be added in. Basically meaning..if you want to have some birthday cake today, do not have pasta for dinner. Then there wont be as many carbs that can shoot his blood sugars up.

I do this. If I know I am going to have something special like cake, I lay off complex carbs so that I can enjoy the cake! Still have to watch the bs afterward but it will not put his pancreas in overdrive.

Here's a soup one:

Bacon Cheese Potato Soup

* 3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes

* 1/3 cup finely chopped onion

* 1 1/2 cups crumbled bacon (about 16 oz)

* 3 1/4 cups water

* 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules

* 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste

* 1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper, or to taste

* 5 tablespoons butter

* 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour

* 2 cups milk

* 1 to 1 1/2 cups mild shredded cheddar cheese

* 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese (optional)

DIRECTIONS

1. Combine the potatoes, onion, bacon, chicken granules and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper.

2. In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook for about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Stir in cheese and over medium heat stir until cheese has melted and is smooth and creamy.

3. Stir the cheese mixture into the stockpot, and cook for a minute until soup is heated through. Serve immediately.

This should melt in your mouth when eaten right after being made. The soup will thicken as it stands and after it's been refrigerated and can be thinned with milk.