Mini shopping

Deb

I headed out today to go to my favorite oriental import store. I love this place and the feeling is mutual. The owner hugs us when we come in, asks about our family and even gave us a wedding gift when we got married. In return, we're helping put his daughters thru college. ;)

Anyway, it's been awhile since I was in there (a fact which got me a serious scolding from the owner). He's expanded his inventory. Guess what he carries now? MINIS!! <turning cartwheels> Wooohoooo! I got a couple of the coolest three tiered plant stands, a couple of potted plants, some mud-men and a buddha for the samurai's garden, a couple of foo dogs and two micro minis. One is a mud hut and the other is a 1:144 San Franscisco victorian lighthouse/B&B. Since I know I'll never have the patience to build my own micro, I'm delighted to find it.

But the best part is that I found my wizard for the Glencroft! And his pet dragon too!! He's just sooooooooo perfect. He's 8.5 inches tall from base to the tip of his feather so he'll be a close fit into the Glencroft downstairs, but for this wizard, I'd build the house around him if I needed to! Wanna see?

And here's his pet Fido. Fido is perched on books as well but they don't show up well in the picture.

I'm all excited about the wizard's house anyway and finding the occupant really got me all wound up today. Ya'll know I don't put people into my houses very often, but this.........this.............oh my........this is the wizard who wanted me to build the house in the first place.

Deb

Woohoo Deb!!! Awesome dragon! And the wizard.. well what can I say - Way Cool! I guess that means I'd better get in gear and get his crystal ball to him ;) He's going to look just stunning in your house!!

:)

David

The dragon is incredible. I've always liked dragons too. My favourite character in Sleeping Beauty was the dragon - I thought it was magnificient. My granddaughter's, Shalean, favourite book for a long long time was the story of a birthday dragon.

Susanne

I'm still happy dancing around the wizard and dragon this morning. Even tho he's resin and not really a doll, he's still just the perfect occupant for the house. I stood in the store debating about getting him and finally figured "Aw, what the heck, if he's too big, I'll just bash the house and built it around him". ;) I've got almost all the furnishings for the wizards house now, so of course, the Glencroft is starting to nag about me about "When am I gonna get built? Huh? Huh? Now? Now is good for me."

Deb

I have got to get out more often and look for things. LOL Those are great finds and to fit into an already partial plan just makes for a very good day. Congratulations on such a perfect fine.

Not really a doll? Does that mean he's a .... gulp ..... action figure. :o :) ;)

<giggling> Naw, I think he's more in the "figurine" category. Or maybe something of a partial diorama. But I think with some paperclay, I can make the floor in the Glencroft look like the stone floor he's standing on so he won't look out of place in the house. I've never used paperclay before but now is as good a time as any!

havanaholly: I really wish I had a source for the mini mudmen.

Try your local florist. Anyone who sells bamboo or bonsai trees would carry mud men. I think the biggest distributor online is Dallas Bonsai. They're prices are reeeeally reasonable too. http://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/mud_men.html

I to have a soft place in my heart for wizards and dragons, but I never seem to be able to find the wonderful things like you do while shopping.

I'll let you in on a secret. <whispering> I'm a dedicated shopper. I devote time to finding out of the way shops where the unique is commplace. Little shops, corner boutiques, but mostly import stores. Oh, and "antique" marts. Those are all over in Denver. They're not really antique stores coz you'd be hard pressed to find many genuine antiques in them. They're more like glorified second hand stores where a dozen or so buyers all share space in one big building. When I find a dealer or store I like, I get to know them. When they find out I'm serious about their inventory, they'll usually make an effort to find the things I like. Most small business owners are willing to develop a relationship with someone who will be a return customer or will tell other people about them.

Deb

Congrats Deb on the wonderful find!

I find myself looking for mini`s or something that is small enough for a mini every where I go. And yard sale season is upon us! Woohoo.