Feels like my birthday!

Lisa_F

Got home from work today and three of my four boxes from HBS arrived!!! Felt like my birthday because I wasn't expecting them until tomorrow (according to the UPS tracking)!

So many goodies to play with - so little time :D Good thing I have a long weekend coming up!

I had an HBS house party - convinced my husband & sons & mom to get some stuff for my birthday, and my sister ordered some things to go into the dollhouse I am going to build her daughter for Christmas.

So all in all I got: the Coventry Cottage, Victoria's Farmhouse, The Magnolia (that's supposed to be here tomorrow), the Greenleaf Village, several pieces of furniture (for both my neice's house and mine), some wall paper and assorted trims. I'm so excited! I can hardly wait to play!

Okay, enough rambling for now - but I just had to share with someone and I knew you all would know how I feel - the guys in my house just look at me like I've lost a few marbles or something everytime I try to show them one of the cool new toys in the boxes! Lol.

Lisa

ooooooooo.....aaaahhhhhhhh......oh thats kewl!

wow I love that!

omgosh thats even nicer in person!

post-9-1143090591.gif

those are always the things I say when going through a box of goodies!

so tell me about your party...I have been thinking of doing one.

nutti :D

Wooooooooooohooooooooooo!! That's a birthday and Christmas all rolled up in one! I got my order of stuff for the wizards's house on Tuesday and Bruce had to drag me kicking and screaming out the door to work. :D And you got houses too!! With that many houses, we aren't just going to do the happy-new-house-dance for you.........we'll need to do the happy-new-houses-jitterbug! Which one are you going to do first? What plans do you have for them? C'mon girl! We need details!!! :D

Deb

What a great day you must have had. I'm waiting on an order from HBS I placed 2 weeks ago but I don't expect it for weeks to come. The next house for me is also the Magnolia, I love that house. Have fun with all the goodies.

Wendy

The Magnolia was here when I got home from work today - so my house party order is now complete :D I've already gone through the dollhouse boxes & made sure all parts are present and accounted for and then taped them shut again till I can start working on them.

Yep - the Magnolia is for me! So is the Victoria's Farmhouse for that matter ;) But I gotta finish up the Ashley I'm working on and then start one for my niece before starting on mine - or my niece will never get one <_<

The Magnolia I'm planning on making a "grandparents" house - with their whole family over and the kids outside in the yard hunting for Easter eggs. I'm gonna have to develop more mini skills before I attempt this one :p

Victoria's Farmhouse is going to be a modern farm with a Christmas setting.

Haven't really decided what the Coventry Cottage will be yet.

The house party idea through HBS is great! Can't say enough nice things about them over there! They were very patient with all of my emails and I got the order in record time :blink: After reading on their site that you can hold a house party and as long as you had three guests that made orders and your orders reached a minimum - you could earn free mini's and a free Coventry Cottage - I was hooked! Only problem was that I don't know three other people around here that are as infatuated with mini's as I am.

So that got me to trying to figure out how I could still have a party (they even throw in free shipping for the party!) I wondered if people all living in the same house could place orders and still qualify as a party because I have a birthday coming up and my husband & sons (all with nice paychecks!) are always bugging me about what I want and I never have any ideas for them. So I emailed HBS and explained the situation, telling them I had three others living in my house who would place orders if I had a party and asking if that would qualify for the party - and sure enough it did! So I had a pre-birthday - birthday party and circled all the different stuff in the catalogs that I would like to have and then they (husband & sons) picked stuff out and ordered it for me! My mom also ended up ordering something for my birthday and my sister, while not interested in minis for herself, she ordered stuff for the dollhouse I'm building her daughter.

After all was said & done, I had a party order total big enough to get several free mini's and the Magnolia & Farmhouse at 50% off :D And everyone walked away happy - I got lotsa mini's and my husband & sons were off the hook trying to figure out what to get for me :blink:

It will probably take me till the end of the summer (or longer) to build all these houses - because I am building my sister's daughter one first - and I still feel like a beginner at the whole house building thing. That, and I only have an hour or two in the evenings to work on them. But I should get a good start on things this weekend 'cause I have a long 4-day weekend!

Anyhow, thanks for reading my rambling! I was just so excited about all the new goodies that I had to share!

Lisa

Haven't really decided what the Coventry Cottage will be yet.

You can check out the building blogs for ideas & help, some of the building teams are blogging the Lily build, but the rest of us are blogging about building the Coventry Cottage. It is a really nice little house to build, too <_< .

The Magnolia is a really pretty house, too. If I ever decide to make another screened porch that would be a good candidate.

Lisa -

Thanks for sharing your experience in holding a miniature house party. I have only one friend here in Edmonton that collects minis. I'm going to talk to her and see if she and I could have a house party and invite our husbands.

I'm sure Ron and Ray would love to be off the hook in shopping for gifts.

Susanne

I say go for it ladies! It was great fun - and you can't beat getting free mini's and free shipping! And if your order is large enough (if the party total from guest orders is $200 or more) then you get to order 2 additional items at 50% off! Plus, guest orders get 20% off of their orders and no shipping costs for them either because everything is shipped to the hostess/host). They have a page on their website that goes into more detail, and when you set up a party they send you catalogs & more info on the party.

It was so much fun, I'm thinking I might have to make it a "tradition" for my birthday every year <_< And my husband/sons really were relieved that all the guess work was taken out of the equation regarding what to get for me. Most of the time I just tell them I don't really need anything, or just surprise me - and they hate that. But the truth is - before I rediscovered minis - I had pretty much everything I wanted - well, everything that's within our price range anyhow.

Now with mini's always on my mind - they don't have to worry about what to get for a looooooooong time! Cause everytime I go through the catalog or window shop online, I get a bad case of the *wants*!

Lisa

You can check out the building blogs for ideas & help, some of the building teams are blogging the Lily build, but the rest of us are blogging about building the Coventry Cottage. It is a really nice little house to build, too :blink: .

I've been reading all the blogs and watching all of the progress on the houses. Trying to learn as much as I can before attempting one of my bigger house kits (bigger than the Ashley & Sweetheart). There is so much to be learned from those blogs and it's one of my favorite parts about visiting the site every day after work, although I must admit I occassionally feel a bit intimidated by how good everyone's houses are - I sometimes feel like a kindergartener taking an art class with a bunch of bonafide artists! When I get to feeling like that I just kick myself in the rear and remind myself that everybody started somewhere ;)

I've been thinking that maybe the coventry cottage would enjoy being a small shop :p Up until recently I had a home-based soap & candle business. Wasn't really all that profitable - I'm far better at making things than I am being a business woman, but it meant the world to me. Anyhow, I've been thinking that the coventry might make a good Rose Petal Cottage filled with soaps & candles :blink:

Lisa

although I must admit I occassionally feel a bit intimidated by how good everyone's houses are - I sometimes feel like a kindergartener taking an art class with a bunch of bonafide artists! When I get to feeling like that I just kick myself in the rear and remind myself that everybody started somewhere <_<

Lisa, I just started building houses 6 months ago and I felt exactly the same way. Some days, I still do. ;) But with the help of everyone here I learned sooooooooo much and with their nurturing and advice, it was a short step from "this might be an interesting hobby to take up" to "I have a new lifestyle". The best thing I've learned is that it's okay to take a chance on something because even the worst "oopsie" can be covered with trim, wallpaper or some other embellishment. Sometimes the biggest mistakes can be turned into the coolest features. Once I grasped that concept, caution was thrown to the wind, apprehension got kicked to the curb and I've never had so much fun in my life!

I think you're doing just great! You're creative and inventive and you're having a wonderful time doing it. Anything you make from the heart is going to be a work of art.

Deb

maybe the coventry cottage would enjoy being a small shop
Melissa's making a bridal shop from hers.

intimidated by how good everyone's houses are - I sometimes feel like a kindergartener taking an art class with a bunch of bonafide artists! When I get to feeling like that I just kick myself in the rear and remind myself that everybody started somewhere

Is THAT ever a true saying, and worthy of all men to be believed! I'm no artist, but this is such a neat way to experiment to see "if I can".