Exterior dh painting

Lisa_F

I've finished up with the sweetheart "gingerbread house" dollhouse kit - (well, finished until I get the candies for the roof that is) and have started my next house - the ashley. Right now I'm painting the outside walls and my husband (ever helpful person that he is) suggested that I spray paint the walls instead of painting with a paint brush the way I am. His reasoning is that a. it would be quicker and b. it would provide a nice even coat that he thinks would look more professional than using a paint brush.

I'm not really concerned with the "quicker" aspect of his suggestion because I am rather enjoying the process. It's pretty relaxing after a long day of work. But, does spraying the paint of as opposed to using a brush give a nicer finished look?

It's probably a matter of personal choice, but what does everyone else do?

Thanks!

Lisa

I spray my primer on

I paint my wall inside and out with a brush.

I know there is a few here that use spray paint....I havent tried it.

but I dont get outside easily and as I have to sweet talk my daughter to primer...going out to spray isnt an option for me at this time.

I would wonder about the evenness? how bout it guys and gals?

nutti :D

Having tried spray primer on the Corona Concepts furniture I used for the Haunted House -- I LOVE that stuff! (And I don't even sniff it...)

I also spray painted that furniture. If you put on a couple of thin coats over spray primer, you get a beautifully smooth, even surface. Just follow the directions about holding the can well back so you don't get drips, and keep each coat of paint thin.

Thanks for your input!

I'm thinking that I like using the paint-brush

to paint the walls. It may take a bit longer - but that's okay - it's relaxing & that's one of the things I like about it.

Once it stops raining around here and I can use spray paint outside, I may just have to dig out one of the other sweetheart kits from under the bed & try spray painting it - just to see what, if any, difference there is in the finished product.

Thanks again!

Lisa

I'd say do what you like. Personally I try to avoid spray cans like the plague. You get 90% of the paint on everything other than the subject. And you really have to do it out doors, you can get spray latex that's non-toxic, but it's diabolical to use. I like the airbrush, but for doing the first primer coats on this luan I've been using a brush. The spray is so thinned down, and the luan is like painting a sponge, it'd take about 800 coats to seal he wood. And if you like brush painting why change? Unless you really want to try it, I wouldn't bother with the canned air. So add the cost of a compressor. I've got something like 600 dollars worth of equipment just for spraying.

I've done it both ways, I also have a preference for brush-painting. I use spray primer for Chrysnbon.

A very good use for spraying, Chrysnbon kits are styrene, so take sprays really well. And thankfully you're painting them. Unless the subject is made out of plastic in reality the model will look like a model.

Which, I guess, brings up a point. If the original subject has an ultra-smooth paint job then spraying is the way to go. Houses tend to be hand painted, especially older ones, so using a fine brush, or a foam brush, should yield a sufficiently fine grain structure to the strokes to look authentic. I just like the airbrush, so it's just a preference. I think brush painted houses look perfectly fine. Appliances, such as in the Chrysnbon kits, stoves, toilets etc. do not. Think of a car, a brush painted finish, no matter how finely done, is going to leave strokes that would look like the real thing was painted with a sweeping brush.

I'm not really concerned with the "quicker" aspect of his suggestion because I am rather enjoying the process. It's pretty relaxing after a long day of work. But, does spraying the paint of as opposed to using a brush give a nicer finished look?

The only spray paint I'll use is clear lacquer. I totally relate to what you're saying about the relaxing process of painting with a brush. Painting is my favorite part of building and when you enjoy it that much it means you're giving it all your attention and it's going to come out beautiful. I'm willing to bet that your brush painting is every bit as good as you'd get with a spray because you're enjoying doing it. :D

Deb

I am handpainting with a brush so I dont have input on spray painting a dh, but I do buy castoff furniture (yard sales) and sometimes spray paint the base coat b4 I had paint decorations.

You do have to be careful with dripping. If it does drip you have to catch it or it will be a permanent fixture on your piece.

Which, I guess, brings up a point. If the original subject has an ultra-smooth paint job then spraying is the way to go. Houses tend to be hand painted, especially older ones, so using a fine brush, or a foam brush, should yield a sufficiently fine grain structure to the strokes to look authentic.

You know I wasn't going to reply to this thread because I felt silly saying how I paint but now I don't feel so bad :p I pretty much do what Doogster said. I paint with a brush but a small small brush because I remember our old clapboard sided house from when I was a kid - you could definitely see brush strokes in the paint!! I like to use a 1" sponge brush for inside walls and floors (if the floors are to be painted) because it gives a fairly smooth finish (like I think a roller would leave) but on the outside I use a small flat brush.. almost to scale of what a 4 or 6" full size brush would be then I do many thin coats so that the paint will cover evenly. At least that's what I did on my lighthouse and I really like how it looks. It did take a long time painting (at least it felt like it) it but hey I was watching TV while painting :p so no time lost. :D I do have to admit though I probably won't go to that much work on all my houses but I think the lighthouse is looking pretty darn good if I do say so myself :p

-David

Painting is nice but I would seriously think about a roller instead of paint brush if you want to go that way. Gives a lovely finish without brush marks.

I rolled on because it's quick and gives a perfect coverage and then sometimes lay off with a brush.

I use a paint brush. Don't use spray cans. And I have a preference for an angled paint brush. Not sure why, it just fits me better, I guess. I also like to paint everything with one coat of white semi-gloss paint before I put it's actual color paint onto it. I think it gives a more even finish to the color paint.

Thanks everyone, for chiming in with your personal preferences on this topic! I really enjoy the brush painting process on the dollhouse - and the comments I've read here about the brush strokes adding another layer of realism to the house makes a lot of sense to me :D Thank you for that! I was feeling a little , I don't know, amaturish about my painting after my husband said that spray painted would look a lot more professional - because it would eliminate the brush strokes. I hadn't even considered the fact that the brush strokes make it look more real!

Lisa

One place I think spraying will be a real benefit is on the trim. Gable trim, lattice work etc. The airbrush will rip through such things in no time, and the thinned paint will dry very quickly. Multiple coats can be done in one session. And a quick clean between colours means you can paint a whole lot of different things in one day.

This is perfect. My Dad just gave me an old airbrush he had lying around and I'm planning to use it to paint trim and lattice work on my daughter's dollhouse. Then I'll go in and use a brush to paint the siding. I think I'll use a regular 1"-2" brush though. I don't think I have the patience to use a very small brush.

If the airbrush is very old, or hasn't been used for a long time it may need the O-ring seals replaced for it to work properly. As I've said before I would very strongly recommend a compressor, the aircans are good (well they're not really good at all) for only about 20 minutes of spraying, and they get cold as you use them, so the presurre drops as you're spraying. And they're about 13 to 15 bucks a shot. My Silentaire currently goes for about 150 at Dixieart, this one from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=92403

Looks like it would do the job well. I've seen it in person at the local HF and it's solid. If I didn't already have the Scorpion (I love the auto on-off feature) I'd seriously look at this one. It's just a bit more than the price of 3 cans of propellant, and HF's shipping costs are pretty good. You can buy a Campbell Hausfeld mini pancake compressor for about 50 bucks from Wally World, but I've heard some issues with reliability and lifespan with spraying since the pump runs so much, and they're very loud when the pump runs.