flea market junkies

shamrockgirl18

Down here in South Florida, it's a Goodwill Heaven! There are 5 within 10 minutes of my house. I generally spend my Saturdays going to each store. I collect vintage lingerie and can usually find some good pieces each week. Things are coming in constantly at the stores so there are always new items! I have come to the conclusion that 1. lots of elderly ladies are passing away 2. they all probably had some pretty lingerie they saved for "good" or for going to the hospital 3. their grown children come down to see to things after they pass and take everything to Goodwill!

I also love the old slips that women used to wear. They are used these days by collectors as nightgowns. Many of them are exquisite with lace and embroidery. I find these beauties for a couple of dollars! Who can forget the old screen stars doing scenes in their slips!!!

I tell my DH that even if I was filthy rich, I would still go to Goodwill! Each visit is like a treasure hunt...you never know what you may find! Two weeks ago I found a beautiful wall shelf with three shelves and carved sides for $6. A visit to Home Depot netted a quart of lovely chocolate brown paint for $1. Now I have a gorgeous piece to display my Hummel collection on!!

I am currently on the lookout for a dresser for myself that I can redo, and a small round table that can be redone to go with my dining chairs that I rescued from the garbage!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the thrift stores in the western panhandle and Baldwin County, AL, got such fantastic stuff! We've begun to replace some of the furniture we gave the sons to set up housekeeping with some truly nice items from thrift stores.

The neatest thing I've found was a 4 or 5 inch metal bank in the shape of a book. It was an old child's savings bank, where the child put their money through a slot at the top and then the bank would be brought into the real bank and the manager would have a little key to open it and get the money out, presumably to be put into a real savings account. This little bank was from Bank of America with the front done in what I think was real leather complete with an embossed ship - the old BA logo. I bought it for $5 and gave it away to the manager at BofA where I worked because I really didn't like it that much. Supposedly it was from the 30s and we actually found the key and opened it up and of course there was nothing in it. But I could kick myself for not keeping it.

The other thing I found was the Strombecker desk for $3 - the one with the curved drawers in front. And by God, I still have that! :kicking:

The neatest thing I've found was a 4 or 5 inch metal bank in the shape of a book. It was an old child's savings bank, where the child put their money through a slot at the top and then the bank would be brought into the real bank and the manager would have a little key to open it and get the money out, presumably to be put into a real savings account. This little bank was from Bank of America with the front done in what I think was real leather complete with an embossed ship - the old BA logo. I bought it for $5 and gave it away to the manager at BofA where I worked because I really didn't like it that much. Supposedly it was from the 30s and we actually found the key and opened it up and of course there was nothing in it. But I could kick myself for not keeping it.

The other thing I found was the Strombecker desk for $3 - the one with the curved drawers in front. And by God, I still have that! :kicking:

• 1 year later...

These are the only places my hubby and I buy glasses, dishes, pots and pans, electrical equipment or products for our needs, bowls, and any other cooking needs. The reason is that the stuff to buy today is junk. It is all cheaply made and the metallurgy is like paper today. And it is all expensive. To get the well made items of times long past, the flea markets and the thrift stores are gold mines. The older, the better.