flea market junkies

shamrockgirl18

I LOVE going to thrift stores, flea markets, garage sales, etc. I've decorated my entire house in a 'flea market chic' style: I just think it adds so much personality and whimsy to a home. I can't stand when I walk into someone's home and it looks like the page of a Pottery Barn catalog- I believe a home should reflect YOU. So I was wondering what kinds of cool things you all have found before that you love, treasure, or just think are funny. . .

Among my coolest finds (and these are just the FREE stuff)

-an antique Singer sewing machine that's in my living room

-an vintage bread box that's in my kitchen

-assortment of vintage dishes

- 2 old barbie dolls that I sold on Ebay

-various chairs

-an old leaded glass window that I hope to get restored

- a cast iron candlestick holder

-a vintage cocktail shaker (in the kitchen)

I'd love to hear about everyone's cool and funny finds!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a thrift store in Wyoming over the summer and found some really cool cameo jewelry. Rings, necklaces, and earrings. All of which my 17 has since packed off. But that's ok. If she thinks I got them for me she likes them better than if I tell her I really got them for her. How weird is that? :unsure:

I have been going to yard sales, thrift sales, garage sales, bazaars, rummage, jumble shops, flea markets my entire life. I was brought with my Mom when I was a wee sprout.

I really could not tell you the coolest thing because I have gotten so many things over the years. Okay..The coolest probably is at a yard sale about 2-3 years ago. This woman sold her very large turn of the century Victorian in our city. I was just so happy to get to walk inside the place! LOL

Over in the corner she had a very very large cactus in a small pot. She told me she could not take it, she owned it for over 30 years. She sold it to me for $2.

I brought it home, repotted it and it has been in my bedroom ever since..except in the summer it goes on front porch.

My entire house with the exception of the love seat, a wing back chair and mattresses are flea market/thrift store finds. I don't think I've ever bought furniture other than upholstered in a regular store. All my bowls are flea market, some of them McCoy, Marcrest and Monmouth with the leaf marking. One of my favorite finds is my TV cabinet. It's a hand made dry sink with louvered doors and lift top with room to store the TV, VCR, DVD etc and lots of tapes. With the doors closed you can't see any of it. It was less than $100 at a Goodwill store. It would be so hard to get rid of any of it because it all has some special memory. I love bowls, I have about 40, wooden boxes, advertising tins and baskets. I could open a resale store if I ever did want to part with any of it. This all started when my daughter and I moved to Illinois with only what fit in the car in 1985. I love country decorating and we just went to flea markets and garage sales and furnished our whole place in a couple of months. Since then I've been back and forth from here to California a couple of times and picked up a lot of stuff along the way. For me it's the most fun way to shop. :)

:) I'm always looking for monis in thrift stores and flea markets. This pass year I found a few things I love. One is an old piano jewelry box. They were around when I was a kid..long,long ago. They were ugly then, covered with a crappy thin gold leat and red velvet inside the box where the strings would be. So I flat painted the piano, then spent 4 days painting the outside. It really has a nice pattern that you couldn't see under the fold leaf- vines and birds, a parrot and flowers. Ripped the velvet out and put some strings inside(not all 88,not that good) and made a bench. They are old so hard to find.Got one I'm going to put on ebay if and when my camera gets here.The other I'm keeping/And I got some of those 2 piece planter sets.You would put them on the wll with ivy.They are each like a half of a gazebo. Painting the frame,coppering roof and putting(and making) the 3 stained glass windows that go inside.Into making stained glass now and it's work,leading and painting both sides but I love it. Lots of stuff.Oh, got a silver napkin holder(the large kind for the table),cut it,welded and made a fancy bed,got some pretty black velvet dress(thrift shop) with gold and silver designs,made a spread,pillows,ruffle. I get to the thrift shops about once a week and for less than $10 come away with all kinds of goodies.Got some ceramic leopards.Got to figure whay to do with them. bergie

I've not gone to a flea market. I went to a garage sale one day a few years back. Ray has never wanted second hand things coming into the home. He's quite paranoid about germs and dirt. I bought home a child's teaset. I thought it was really cute and that I'd wash it and have tea parties for my granddaughters. I didn't let Ray know I'd bought this set home.

When I got home I noticed it was pretty grimy looking inside. I placed baking soda in each piece and poured scalding hot water in the cups and teapot. When the water cooled, I drained and added more baking soda and used it as a paste to scrub. It still didn't seem clean enough. Anyway, three days later, a box of baking soda, kettles of boiling water - 3 runs through the dishwasher .... and I threw them away. I went out and bought a new tea set at the store.

I guess Ray has brainwashed me into believing that I can never get them clean enough! Out out damn spot .....

-Susanne

I love going to flea markets, junk shops, antique shops - all those places. I used to take the kids with me, we'd go "antiquing". We had tons of fun, and it was a great way to spend a rainy day. They still love antiques and "junk" - we never spent more than a couple of dollars, and always found something unusual to bring home and enjoy. Just today a friend and I went for a drive and ended up at a neat little store called "Funky Junk". I just may use that name for a miniature store one day. :p

The other day I found something that I think was part of an old display case from a store. It's hard to describe (I have to try and get pics) - but it's very heavy, with an old wooden frame, and a curved front. I want to use it for a roombox - which gives you some idea of the size - but I will wait until inspiration hits. I think maybe it was used to display jewellery, or gloves, or some such refined items. It cost $10.00, which was quite a splurge - but I couldn't pass it by. It's tooooo cool. :p

Bergie, I'd love to see a pic of your painted pianos. :)

My entire house with the exception of the love seat, a wing back chair and mattresses are flea market/thrift store finds. I don't think I've ever bought furniture other than upholstered in a regular store. All my bowls are flea market, some of them McCoy, Marcrest and Monmouth with the leaf marking. One of my favorite finds is my TV cabinet. It's a hand made dry sink with louvered doors and lift top with room to store the TV, VCR, DVD etc and lots of tapes. With the doors closed you can't see any of it. It was less than $100 at a Goodwill store. It would be so hard to get rid of any of it because it all has some special memory. I love bowls, I have about 40, wooden boxes, advertising tins and baskets. I could open a resale store if I ever did want to part with any of it. This all started when my daughter and I moved to Illinois with only what fit in the car in 1985. I love country decorating and we just went to flea markets and garage sales and furnished our whole place in a couple of months. Since then I've been back and forth from here to California a couple of times and picked up a lot of stuff along the way. For me it's the most fun way to shop. :p

WOW! I would love to see pics of all those great finds! Especially the dry sink- that's especially cool.

:p I'm always looking for monis in thrift stores and flea markets. This pass year I found a few things I love. One is an old piano jewelry box. They were around when I was a kid..long,long ago. They were ugly then, covered with a crappy thin gold leat and red velvet inside the box where the strings would be. So I flat painted the piano, then spent 4 days painting the outside. It really has a nice pattern that you couldn't see under the fold leaf- vines and birds, a parrot and flowers. Ripped the velvet out and put some strings inside(not all 88,not that good) and made a bench. They are old so hard to find.Got one I'm going to put on ebay if and when my camera gets here.The other I'm keeping/And I got some of those 2 piece planter sets.You would put them on the wll with ivy.They are each like a half of a gazebo. Painting the frame,coppering roof and putting(and making) the 3 stained glass windows that go inside.Into making stained glass now and it's work,leading and painting both sides but I love it. Lots of stuff.Oh, got a silver napkin holder(the large kind for the table),cut it,welded and made a fancy bed,got some pretty black velvet dress(thrift shop) with gold and silver designs,made a spread,pillows,ruffle. I get to the thrift shops about once a week and for less than $10 come away with all kinds of goodies.Got some ceramic leopards.Got to figure whay to do with them. bergie

Do you do stained/leaded glass work? I would love to learn how to do that someday!

When I was a very little girl my grandma got me started when she used to go dumpster diving behind the local five & dime and bring me home mostly intact toys. When she died my DM gave me all Grandma's old dishes, silverware, etc; it's amazing how much of this stuff came from thrift stores! So of course I adore treasure hunting, and I've recruited DH, too. Our youngest son does us (and y'all) one better; he goes cruising his neighborhood before sunup on trash day to see what his neighbors have set out for pickup (he & they have an understanding that if he can use it, it's his); it's a fairly nice middleclass neighborhood and he finds LOTS of nice stuff!

I've also got my eyes peeled for that mythical dollhouse put out on the curb. :)

I did find a pink and blue plastic one once, and my daughter had it for a while ... but (gasp) she's not at all into miniatures :p ... so I gave it away.

I knew we were much alike, Rosalind! We were paddling all weekend and I mentioned in reply to a friend's question about our sons that the eldest keeps promising to take us out in his boat, a big power-boat cruiser he keeps in a local marina; and she asked, "where did you go wrong with him?" I nearly fell out of my kayak LMBO, so didn't tell her he's also a different political party and lives in a huge house in a country club! Our middle son & his wife love to paddle with us, and she's hooked on minis, so sometimes it "takes"!lol

Every time we buy something in a thrift store, etc, it's neat; but this past Thursday we were checking out of a charity thrift store in Marianna and the gentleman checking us out asked me did I do needlework/ crossstitch, and when I gave him a wierd look and said I did he hauled us to the back where there was a VERY NICE floor frame (with fabric already in it!) that he sold me for next to nothing! As he rang it up and was watching me pet it and admire it he said that God had told him to ask me (this thrift store is one of two that support a local church that also runs a transient shelter and kitchen and this man is the pastor), which made this particular purchase even neater!

Over the years I have found some wonderful "stuff." The last yard sale I went to last summer (Seeley Lake is not exactly full of yard sales and there are no flea markets) here in Seeley Lake, I found a beautiful planter made up of two snowmen holding the plant holder between them. It's lovely.....blue and white snowmen, all glittery. And they match three smaller snowmen I got at the same place. All for $4.00. At another yard sale I got two VHS tapes still in the original packing......The Color Purple and Somewhere in Time - $1.00 each. At that same yard sale 5 brand new Simplicity Christmas project patterns - never opened for 25 cents each. Now those are bargains as the least expensive of them sold originally for $8.95....... Did I do good?

A number of years ago in Massachusetts I found a beautiful swan planter in porcelain. I love swans. It was fifty cents! And on a trip to Glacier Park last year we stopped alongside the road and I found a compote dish in pure white very ornate for $1.00. It is a limoges. And Two gorgeous Limoges plates - $1.00 each. An electric skillet in a smaller size for $2.00. Works great! An electric knife for fifty cents........three fine gold chains for doll jewelry - free!

Yep, Wolfie loves bargains!

• 2 months later...

I have been known to my friends as Queen of the Thrift Stores!

Amongst some of my better finds:

Singer Featherweight $45 (flea market)

Indian sari embroidereid with gold bullion and stones $25

DC Heritage, unopened $10.

DC Farnhouse, missing window tranpaecnies and instructions $10

Indian spinnng, drum carder, wool picker (worth about 300 total) $25

Tennyson $20

DC Brookfield $25

DC San Francisco, unfinished $30

Gazebo $4

Folk art crossbow $2

Antique rocking chair - free

Barbie townhouse, handmade (frequently used as a set for taking mini pictures) $5

Sweetheart Cottage $3

Martha Washington (vintage sewing chest) $45

Antique Dresser $28

Sheffield silver serving dish $28

17th or 19th century lace handkerchief $5

Most of my furnishings came from yard sales, thrift stores, hand me downs, or curbside finds! Vintage linens and dishes, etc.!

• 1 month later...

I love to go to thrift stores, flea markets and antique malls. Over the last 10 years I have found lots of goodies, especially for my dollhouses. I think my favorite finds tho are the pink depression glass pieces that I have gotten to go with the peices that I got from my great-gramma.

lyn