Disturbing news article

Gayle

Yesterday a local television station aired an article concerning a trend in upstate SC about teens "Sexting". Basically it's "I'll show you mine if you show me yours" and it's done with camera phones where the students are sending nude pictures of themselves. Some pictures have been sent to children as young a 10. Parents should check what their children are sending and receiving. One school principle had confiscated about 50 cell phones because of improper screensavers and other pictures on them. Depending on the age of some, it could be considered child p***.

I'll try to include the link to the articles but in case it doesn't work, go to www.wyff4.com, on the right side, click on more local news, the article is about 1/3 down on the left side.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/17875152/detail.html

Last year my son told me that boys in his middle school where regularly looking a p*** during lunch. Not your basic naked pictures either. When I first called the school about this I was told they could use their phones unsupervised during lunch, as it was their "free time". Seriously, the assistant principal actually said this to me!

I asked around about this and got quite a "eye full". Some of the girls in my dollhouse class showed me pictures that they were being sent during school hours by male class mates. Right after I forwarded a few of these to cell phones belonging to district administrators, I got a prompt and completely different response.

Kids can do some really stupid, thoughtless things, that is why (like it or not) they need parental supervision.

If my children were young again, they would not have a cell phone. There is way too much abuse of them, and it's just not among the very young, but older folks too. Wolfie does not approve.......lol.....nope, I will not put my paw print on anything to certify this breech of etiquette!

When the news anchors were discussing the article, they admitted that they had never heard of it. It was mentioned that 75-80% of the students were either doing this or knew of someone who had done it.

My step granddaughter is only 6 but her mother gave her a cell phone, luckily it isn't a camera phone. It's really scary what can go on with children in this day and age.

My boys only had beepers when they were at home and I loved it. Cell phones are another story.

It is even worse that the pictures can then be sent to others by the receiver without the original sender knowing.

Having taught high school for 14 years, I have to say that the use of cell phones is a major problem for every school. Unfortunately the parents insist on them and also tend to be the ones calling the kids while they are in class. Most schools have policies about cell phone usage especially with texting and cheating. The camera phones now make it even worse. I know most of the schools I taught in had strict rules about exams and cell phones. If we see or hear one you take an F on the exam was what it came down to since we couldn't patrol everything. If the student needed the cell phone for a ride home after the exam we suggested turning it off (not just silencing it) and leaving it in a bag. I have to say that the schools really have no control over what the kids do with their cell phones during the school day and it really needs to be up to the parents to start patroling it more.

This topic scares me to death. Having said that, thank you SO much, Gayle, for bringing it up!!! I have a niece that is 16, and while I care deeply for her, I don't think she has much sense - I am definitely going to let her Mom see this discussion, as my niece does have a camera cell phone. I didn't think, from square 1, that she SHOULD have one, but if she were MY daughter, there is a lot of stuff she gets to do and have that wouldn't happen under MY watch!!!

I was amused at the school here where a girl took a pic of herself naked and sent it to a boy. He then sent it to everyone he knew. When the principal found out, he demanded that anyone with the pic on their phone turn the phone into the office. About 75 kids did. Then the parents were told they could not get the phones back. Ever. I would hope that my kid would not be so dumb as to do that and not just delete the pic.

My kids are in their 20's. And they tell me all the boys send each other pics of themselves. I saw a pic on myspace of all the guys in a wedding party with stuff showing. It's just a thing. Like long hair in the 60's. They sure did blush when I mentioned I saw the photo to a few of them.

All my kids have cell phones. We are busy people and spread out all over town most days so I do consider the phones a necessity. BUT the kids get basic phones with the only function that is really needed, the ability to make and receive phone calls.

This thing is so rampant down here that they are airing commercials where a picture of a girl is on the bulletin board in the school hall. As each student takes the picture down, another on "clicks" back in its place until the girl in the pic notices. She can't remove it. Then the old perverted janitor walks up, grins, and takes one too.

Not only can they not take it back, but many kids even in the middle schools have been arrested for posessing child p**n.

The 20 y/o intern on the morning radio show I listen to confessed to the two hosts of the show that he had taken pics of himself with his cell phone. The hosts took his phone and sent the pics to everyone in his contacts list, including his parents! Intern doesn't take pics of himself anymore.

What are they thinking when they take the pics anyway?

I am sooooo grateful that I don't have kids yet! As far as kids and cell phones...I think if I were to get my young'un a cell phone, it would be one of those that I think Disney puts out.....it can have only a few specific numbers programmed into it (Mom+Dad, 911, etc) and those are the only numbers that can call in as well. I think that would be the safest bet for a kid having a phone, especially if they need to call for rides a lot. Scary information though, and thanks for the heads up!