Walmer/ Lilliput- nailing pieces?

miniwendy

So, what kind of nails do you guys use to nail your Walmer/Lilliput dollhouses together? Finishing nails, or nails with heads? What length of nail? Do you use a hammer and nail punch, or something else? Anyone use a brad nailer? (think that's what they're called-like a staple gun that uses little finishing type nails) Or, anyone recommend screws or staples instead?

:rofl:

And lastly, any tips??

Thanks!!

Wendy

A ballpeen hammer has a solid, sometimes tapered ball on the end opposite the flat hammerhead, as opposed to the claw hammer, where the end opposite the hammerhead is spit to function as a nail-puller.

I am a horrible nailer, so I use a tiny hammer with the claws 'cause I know I will bend nails, or get them in the wrong spot... and they'll need to be removed. I've also been succesful with the kit nails, but found there are some spots that require a little longer ones at times. The ones without a head are best, because you can counter sink them and fill the holes up, so they're not noticeable after you paint.

just a thought about using a nailer. (like a staple gun) The brads that these use are square & I had some problems with them splitting the wood. I also had some problems with finding the proper place to line them up & often missed the spot I was trying to nail. I use a regular tack hammer or I have a small one that looks like it came from a kids tool set that I got at a yard sale for a dime. I like to use finishing nails, so I can use a nail set to sink them in a little, fill in the holes & after painting, you don't see them.

Steve in PA

I use brass miniature nails I bought years ago.....and I push them in with a sewing tool that is like a large flat nail head on a sturdy rod. I also add glue with them and they hold like iron.