Is anybody else trying to lose some pounds?

SuzyQ

I am trying really hard to keep my weigh days on Friday. I find If I weigh more than that during the week it gets discouraging because weight will fluctuate according to salt portions etc. Its hard though I was tempted to get on it this morning. But I didn't.

I dont jump on the scale anymore. It is in the diningroom but more then a week will go by and i havent jumped on it.

It got me discouraged when i would do it on a daily or weekly basis and didnt see results or weight gain (fluid retention, hormones, Lay`s potato chips)

I find if I wait it out as long as possible i will see more of a difference. But that is me. :angry:

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My weight gain happened after menopause. Most of you probably don't know about that "all around the middle" weight gain. I'm not an overly large eater, but it wouldn't hurt for me to lose 20 lbs or so. Gaining 3 lbs a year (doesn't sound like much) but over 20 years, well, there's 60 lbs you weren't counting on. Fortunately I'm healthy and have always exercised regularly.

Wendy

Uh, Heidi, You are aware that most Chinese cuisine uses monosodiumglutinate as a flavor-enhancer, right? And have you read the sodium content in soya sauce? And one of the electrolytic properties of sodium is to promote fluid retention in the body.

DH & I LOVE Asian food, but most of it contains MSG to enhance the flavor & both of us get a palpable increase in blood pressure from eating it. We have discovered that if we're very careful at Chinese buffet-type restaurants we can find many dishes that don't contain so much. I have bundle branch block & mitral valve regurgitation (it doesn't close all the way when my heart beats so that I retain a percentage of carbon dioxide in my blood when my heart beats it out to the rest of my body, and my heartbeat has a funny little twitch in it), so I also retain fluid in my ankles & lower legs.

If you watch the MSG, most Asian cuisinges with their emphasis on veggies and steaming are a LOT healthier. Do try to limit the fried stuff, though.

My dentist, a devout Hindu who has never eaten meat or lard had quadruple bypass surgery last year, Hindu cuisine uses the oil from butter after the milk solids are removed and after nearly 50 years it caught up with him!

Sorry for the sermon, I'm a bear when it comes to diet, exercise & taking care of yourself.

Sorry for the sermon, I'm a bear when it comes to diet, exercise & taking care of yourself.

No problem here havanholly! :)

Yes, I do understand about MSG. I have to watch my sodium intake religiously. I have cut out my soda intake to next to nothing (used to drink at least 4- 8 oz. glasses a day, now 1 8oz can once in a while like when out for dinner), I have cut my coffee intake to 1 cup a day (used to drink 3-4), Yes ladies there is sodium in caffiene. I didnt know that either. Snack foods are down ALOT. I never salted my food in my life (at home, cant answer for what the cooks in restraunts do). My ENT doc has said that with what I have done on my diet and with the diruretics, I have cut my attacks down by 50%. He was very surprised that I have done so well in the past year. I used to get 3 attacks a month for Oct-Mar. I have had only 3 attacks so far since Mar 2005.

We have been going to the same chinese place for 10 yrs. They SAY they dont use msg. I mean they could and say they dont. My chinese meal is Chicken and cabbage with white rice. The chicken is cooked in sauce but the whole meal isnt drowning in it. (yuck, dont like that) The family kinda hates my favorite meal. They dont like it when I eat all that cabbage! LOL

No junk or bad food yesterday (Saturday), Made the chicken with garlic. Today I am making Vodka Tomato Cream sauce. Rachel Ray was on Oprah and the girls wanted me to try it. She has the recipe on www.oprah.com if anyone is interested.

I am a compulsive overeater. I have drastically changed my eating habits over the past five years. I am 5`4" and I used to weigh 320lbs. I am not asking ppl to reveal their weight but if you calculate what I have lost you can figure what I weigh.

I have a bulldog for a diabetic doctor, she dont take no #*@t. After crying in the car on the way home after a visit from her ( I needed to be yelled at!) I can take anything anyone wants to dish out! :D

Okay, that is the end of Heidi`s testimonial. Have a great Sunday and stay away from the buffet at church!

I am really proud for you and your weight loss Heidii. That is a lot of weight to loose. :)

I really believe with each others help you and I and the rest of the gang can reach our goals.

I had a good day yesterday. We actually went to Pizza Hut and the movies. I did great had a salad and not even a whole piece of pizza and at the movies some cotton candy which had 57 calories.

Today so far so good. Sundays are usually my off days but I think I will stay on today.

Have a good day

SuzyQ

Heidi, congratulations on all the weight you have lost. And dealing with your medical problems so well.

Well yesterday, I only had two meals. Breakfast on Saturday is typically eaten in a restaurant. We love the big bacon and egg breakfast. Since I was working in the mini store, that breakfast lasts me until dinner time with only a yogurt between. Dinner was spag and sauce with ground turkey, and of course, some nice hearty artisan bread. You know, I'd have to say that bread is my downfall. I love the stuff! I don't even have to have butter on it. Any kind of bread, muffin, bagel, pie crust, etc. Are there any foods you find especially hard to resist?

Today was a better breakfast, oatmeal and english muffin. Left over spag for lunch and dinner was spinach salad and oops....pizza. Well, I thought it was better.

Part of the problem for most people is that they have children and husbands that are not on a diet, yet they must cook for them. It gets old pretty quick to cook two meals, or two variations of the same meal. Having snacks for kids around is tempting. I don't have children and buy very few snacky items, so I lucked out in that respect. Fewer things to tempt me.

Next to salt & fat, carbs load the pounds on because unburnt carb calories are stored as fat. That oatmeal & English muffin breakfast is better than bacon & eggs with "all the trimmings", but we're on a fairly strict low-fat, low-carb diet. Breakfast in our house now includes an eggwhite omlet with lots of fresh veggies (spinach, salsa mushrooms, for example) and maybe some chopped turkey pepperoni or turkey sausage (I make a nice hot breakfast sausage patty using fresh ground turkey & sausage seasonings). When you're limited to one or two daily servings of a starchy carb (like bread, rice or 'tater), you get really creative in the kitchen :)

Ah! Monday. Dds are off to school and I have the house to myself. Stepped on the scale and I gained 2 lbs. But I do not fret because I know my monthly harbinger of PMS is upon me soon. I always gain a lil this time of month.

Rachel Rays Vodka cream pasta sauce was a big hit. I used whole wheat pasta and family didnt seem to mind it. Making mental note to use it again.

I have a diet dilemma havanaholly. I have diabetes...Must go low carb, low sugar. And as most ppl dont know practically everything is a carb. If it comes from the ground, it is a carb. Fruit (carb), veggies (carb). I can get into glycemic index and all that but caffiene hasnt jolted me yet.

I have Meneire`s disease...Must cut sodium, salt, msg, caffeine. I have Fibromyalgia..must follow a strict diet where some veggies and fruits are good, some are bad, some meats are good some are bad, nuts good/bad. dairy good/bad. Must eat a certain way for 2 weeks and then another way next 2 weeks.

Then we get into the whole Syndrome X thing (i dont have high blood pressure or very bad cholestrol but need to keep an eye), that works in the whole fat, and cholestrol inducing foods. :):D:D

So if you calculate, I must stay away from saturated/non-saturated fats, sugar and sugar substitutes(even if not sugar, brain still thinks its sugar and pancreas acts wonky), sodium, caffeiene, meat, alot of nuts (they were on Meneire`s diet),carbs /complex and some simple, certain cheeses, any take out, any processed foods, no sliced meat, sausage, canned soups, etc etc etc.

One day I put all the diets I was handed and gave them to my nutritionist and said what the heck? She just told me to follow the diets and gave me some paperwork. Let`s just say there wasnt much variety to chose from. I dont see her anymore. I am not the Easter bunny. I cannot live on bunny food alone.

I wont go vegan. I love eggs, beef, chicken, dairy, etc etc. Macrobionic is too confusing to me. We do eat varied vegetarian meals. I have gotten very good at making some tofu based meals. I am not allergic to wheat so I dont need to go gluten free.

Here is link to fibromyalgia diet foods to avoid, http://www.ctds.info/fibro-avoid.html I shouldnt even be eating Tofu!!! HELP!!

You have to remember that I have a family that would rather starve then eat a veget. diet, and I just dont have the energy or extra money to cook two seperate meals for every meal every day.

Teach me havanaholly teach me!

You really are a mess, huh? {{{hug}}} I still love you. The trick to any diet is to find new ways to cook & present the foods you really like that you're allowed to have. Any food that provides energy has carbs, because a carbohydrate is any compound that, when burned, produces carbon dioxide & water (hydrogen+oxygen). Most of the conditions you list are problems with metabolizing the carbs or some of the byproducts, so your diet dilemma is much more complicated. I'm not a nutritionist or dietician, but surely your endocrinologist and other specialty doctors could get you linked up with someone willing to work with you & your family.

I'm with you on cooking ONE meal for the whole family. What helped us with the veggies was the Moosewood cookbooks. We actually crave some varieties of fresh vegetables we couldn't stand before trying Moosewood recipes with them. As long as you can control your glucose & sodium, and you & your family find some sort of mildly strenuous physical activity y'all can enjoy together (kite-flying this time of year comes to mind), the tedious diet details generally work themselves out.

We actually ate & enjoyed two humongous chocolatechip cookies one of the club members brought Saturday when we spent the day paddling boats a mile across Indian Pass to St Vincent's island, walking through the swamp to the Pass side and hiking a couple of miles along the very rocky, weedy beach through hummocks of wiregrass, etc, & after lunch crossing the island to the Gulf side to look for seashells on the walk back through soft Gulf sand to where we'd beached the boats, and paddling back.

Exercise, like dieting, isn't something you plunge in & do, it's a lifestyle change that you have to sneak into to make the changes permanent, human nature being what it is. I no longer miss pork products or popcorn, etc, because it devastates the plumbing as much as being "bad" for me; but I couldn't become a total vegan, either. I have my fingers crossed for all of you, as well as for me, I'm still considered 10% over IBW/ ideal body weight.

Hey does anyone like Mushrooms?

I have the easiest low cal tip for a snack or side dish.

Cut you up some fresh mushrooms flop them in a hot pan sprayed with pam, pour some Worcestershire sauce over them and sprinkle with lemon pepper sautee just few minutes and there you go.

I love to eat these when I have to have something and I have had my calories for the day. :):D

Have a wonerful day

SuzyQ

That does sound good SuzyQ. Chelsea and I love mushrooms (when we have pizza, that is the flavor we pick). I cant use Worcestershire though. (dh makes fun of me cause i cannot say that correctly).

We love them raw dipped in a lowcal sour cream or lowcal plain yogurt with Mrs. Dash.

I also loved them rolled in olive oil, rolled in italian breadcrumbs, put in baking dish, sprinkle lil parmesan cheese on top, and baked in 350 deg oven for 10-15 min. Yummmm!

I also loved them rolled in olive oil, rolled in italian breadcrumbs, put in baking dish, sprinkle lil parmesan cheese on top, and baked in 350 deg oven for 10-15 min. Yummmm!

That sounds good I may have to try that one.

SuzyQ

How is everyone doing? I look at it this way, even if we never lose an ounce it will be better if we eat healthier. I always looked at the weight as a bonus. I wanted to be healthy.

On a side note, My period is coming. MUST HAVE CHOCOLATE (sounding like Homer Simpson)

No one can stop me! It has to be done! Must have TOBLERONE! the small one, not the big one.

Oooo! wait! Are they not selling easter candy now? Maybe a cadbury egg will stave off my yearning for chocolatey goodness.

I dont want to hear it. This is my only guilty pleasure (ok, not the ONLY one teehee) and I have to go with it.

SuzyQ, I admire you being able to "just have one" Hershey kiss. If I had a bag in the house, it would be more like ten! So I don't buy them. I know I am weak, weak, weak.

I am going to start keeping track of my points again (WW) and see how far I get. I have been inspired to watch what I eat by this thread. So far today, I have had a cup of Earl Grey Tea with some sugarless creamer w/ sweetner and a yogurt. Let's see that's about three points.

I always start out good...........

SuzyQ, I admire you being able to "just have one" Hershey kiss. If I had a bag in the house, it would be more like ten! So I don't buy them. I know I am weak, weak, weak.

I am going to start keeping track of my points again (WW) and see how far I get. I have been inspired to watch what I eat by this thread. So far today, I have had a cup of Earl Grey Tea with some sugarless creamer w/ sweetner and a yogurt. Let's see that's about three points.

I always start out good...........

We are cheering you on Josi. :):p

Yes I can understand your being tempted to eat the whole bag. Even though I love chocolate I am not a big candy eater so I can keep them pretty good. Now if it were donuts........ : :D

I am so excited though. I put my jogging pants on today (I have a volly ball game) and the pockets actually fit down it the right place :lol: Do you all know what I am talking about? You know when you try to shove them down but the fat keeps poking them back out? :D Thay are laying flat now Yipee. I still am not getting on the scale yet. I am only wieghing once a week.

Thanks for all your support

SuzyQ

Congrats on the sweats Suzq. Oh yes i know what you mean. You put the pants on and they are tight in not a good way.

Okay, Dont yell. I satisfied my chocolate craving. Oreo`s. I had 6 oreo`s and a glass of 1% milk. I split and licked em too.

Feel much better now.

Today I am having a big tossed salad with lowfat italian blue cheese dressing (Cardini`s). You cannot use alot of dressing. It is good because a lil goes a long way. I made buffalo style boneless chicken strips (homeade), french fries, and the salad. I am having the salad and 2 pieces of the chicken cut up into the salad. Not very hungry today.

Maybe it was the oreo`s. I ran with dh to wallyworld and target this morning so I am tired.

Have a good day all!

Okay, Dont yell. I satisfied my chocolate craving. Oreo`s. I had 6 oreo`s and a glass of 1% milk.

Well Heidi,

At least you are an honest girl :D . 6 oreo's you should be full. :p:D I have to stay away from those. We keep the chocolate filled ones for my husband. He has better contol than me he eats like 2.

I have done good so far today. Been living on those hormel bowls small one for lunch larger one for dinner. They are really good. I know they probably have to much sodium but at this stage I have no problem with that. And it is really keeping me satisfied.

Enjoy your dinner. Sounds healthier thatn the oreos. :lol: :D:)

SuzyQ

Ray and I were laying out a plans today to wire a dollhouse.

So far, I've been pretty good with what I've chosen to eat. (Yesterday, though I discovered that cadburys chocolate makes thin - 100 calorie bars ... yumm). I do need a chocolate fix from time to time, so these should do the trick.

Yesterday in the evening when I wanted a snack ... I had an orange. I don't usually eat much at meal times. I'm not a big meat eater. My weaknesses lie more in ice cream, chocolate, doughnuts, cookies ... that sort of thing. I also don't drink pop (soda).

What I really need to do is to move around more. Perhaps when I'm at work on Thursday. It's cold and rather slippery outside this time of year. Downtown, I can walk in the underground tunnels, and overpasses connecting the buildings.

Susanne

I do need a chocolate fix from time to time,

Sounds like we all agree we need a chocolate fix from time to time :D:):p

I had mine this evening. Instead of my herserys kiss a had a very small piece of chocolate cake. yum yum. I had played 3 strenous vollyball games tonight so those calories won't hurt. (losing those vollyball games hurt much worse :D ) I am still reeling from that loss. Usually I would bury my face in that cake just for that reason. But I am in control of the urge, (tonight anyhow.) :D

Susanne I can tell you are from up north when you said pop. I was banned from using that word down here in the south. :lol: Keep up the good work.

Have a great night

SuzyQ

Susanne I can tell you are from up north when you said pop. I was banned from using that word down here in the south. :D

SuzyQ

Up here in New England, We say soda. When dh went to NC to visit his mother (she is back here now, another story, too too long and drainy to talk about) he went into a sandwich shop and asked for a Grinder.

He got an odd look until he realized he was supposed to say sub, hero, hoagie, etc.

They were originated here (across the river from me) in Groton, CT. We have a submarine shipyard here called Electric Boat. An Italian baker started making these long sandwiches and he called them grinders for the guys that worked in the yard. Lil bit of trivia!

I had 3 more Oreo`s while watching TCM and then I threw the bag away. Yes I do that. If I get to crazy I just toss.

Tonite I am making Hummus with Pita for a appetizer. Chelsea loved when I started making it during her vegetarian kick (I say kick cause it didnt last.). I still cook alot of the veg. meals that I learned while she wouldnt eat meat.

Havent figured out what is for dinner. It is morning and I am thinking of making chicken and dumplings. So I should take the bird out of the freezer.

Have a good day all!

I love Chicken and dumplings. I made them last week. yum yum.

Am am sitting here eating my cheerios like a good girl :D .

We have grinders here in Tennessee.

Never heard of them till a few years ago. We called the subs in Michigan growing up.

Have a good day

SuzyQ

When I make hummus I use reduced fat peanut butter in place of the tahini (I read how much fat is in tahini & my arteries clogged up!). I have a low-fat baking book with all sorts of healthy low-fat & fat-free bread recipes, including flat breads.

Years ago I learned to make biscuits using self-rising flour with two tablespoonsful of mayo per cup of SR flour and sweet milk, the mayo gives them that buttermilk flavor. Now I use fat-free mayo and reconstituted nonfat dry milk. I never cared for the taste of fats in my food, so I can't tell a difference. With one of my homemade turkey sausage patties it makes a relatively guiltless sausage biscuit.