The most magical Christmas!

When I was 9 years old, I got the most wonderful Christmas gift ever . . . a very beautiful one-of-a-kind dollhouse that my Dad designed and built just for me. It was gorgeous, and even the furniture was handmade by my Dad. He has been a talented woodworker all his life, so the house and the furniture was exceptional. My sister (a gifted artist) handpainted beautiful designs on much of the furniture, and my grandmother (now deceased) contributed a handstitched quilt, pillows, and some antique dolls. I loved this house all throughout my childhood and adult years until it was taken from me in a total house fire about 8 years ago. I lost everything I owned, but the loss of this house was particularly painful, and it remains so today. While I am fortunate in putting together a new, wonderful dollhouse and miniatures collection, I would give so much to be able to have that first (and most beloved) house back! Happily, my Dad has built me a new beautiful house - a beautiful Mexican hacienda (which I had the honor of designing with his knowledgeable aid), and my brother has built me 2 wonderful dollhouse cabins. I will never ever forget that first house, though, and it remains a very dear memory. I wish I had a picture I could share with you, and I think I might eventually unearth one through my Mom's photo collection, but for now, you'll just have to believe me when I say it was marvelous!

I'm sure you were heartbroken to lose such a precious treasure Rhonda :) I hope you can find a few pic's of it to help preserve the memory of it.

I'm pretty sure that gorgeous hacienda will help fill the void though - your Dad does absolutely marvelous work!! How fortunate you are to have so many talented people in your family!!

That's a touching story, truly. Its so unfortunate that it was taken away from you like that. I would love to see a photo.

My first dollhouse was one like yours- handbuilt by my dad, my mom and grandma made the cloth stuff and dolls, my grandpa made a barn. And now, my mom has removed all the inside stuff and turned it into a bookshelf! I call it "dollhouse evolution" :)