Stained Glass windows Out Of Shrinky Dink, Good or Bad?

Lynette Smith

Three doors, three small oval windows and one bay window are missing or broken. I had thought of using shrinky dink to make stained glass, but in my choldhhod, shrinky dink had a way of being inconsistant in the final product.

Has anybody tried this out, and with what results.

Itching to decorate.

Lynette

no idea :p

But i am waiting to try the stained glass effect so i am going to watch this post :wave:

Come on people tell us how its done pretty please :)

Or is there a thread already full of ideas? i think i may have seen one but nothing comes up in my search

Will the Shrinky Dink finished windows be too thick for your use? I also had problems sometimes getting it to be perfectly flat upon completion of the kid's project. I have not used this material for a long... time.

Yea I remember from my childhood that it was unpredictable, and sometimes wouldn't shrink completely flat. Also do they still make the kind that dries/shrinks clear, or just opaque?

I bet it would make beautiful and unique designs tho if you could figure out how the right size ratio and if it wouldnt be too thick for what you need once shrunken.

Doesn't hurt to try, right? :)

Hey there-

:) DO NOT USE SHRINKY DINK! You will just become frustrated with the results. You cannot control the final size, the thickness, or the fact that one side will be shiny and the other not. You can use acetate or even those sheets of plexiglass sold at craft stores. As for 'leading' your glass, you can use golf club leading trimmed to size, or even liquid leading with a micro tip applicator added. Hope this helps a bit. There are others on here who are experts in mini stained glass. I am sure you will hear from them. Good luck! -Michi

There is a tutorial on my blog on how to make stained glass windows. I use the heavy duty document covers that they have at Wal Mart or even the heavy plastic covers from products that are vacuformed to the shape of the product when I can find it big enough. I use golfer's lead weight tape for the leading. You can cut it with a pair of scissors and it is readily available at all golf stores.

If you can get some that's not too thick & "set" to flow, there's Liquid Lead. I use acrylic paints straight from the tubes & custom mix my own colors, and I used a liner brush and black acrylid paint for the lead lines. There's an extender medium for acrylic paints you can mix with the colors to keep them from drying out so quickly that also makes them more transparent, like watercolors, that I used to make the window in the link I posted above.

I find a piece of acetate from packaging (or transparency film, or whatever). I trace my window opening onto a piece of paper, draw my "cartoon" design and tape the acetate over the design and draw in the lines with black paint, thick. When it's good and dry I fill in the spaces with the different colors.

Caseymini,

I look at your blog from time to time and you have some really wonderful ideas. Thanks for sharing them! I must be over looking the stain glass blog, I cannot find it and I was really wanting to see how you create that look.

Thanks! :)

Caseymini,

I look at your blog from time to time and you have some really wonderful ideas. Thanks for sharing them! I must be over looking the stain glass blog, I cannot find it and I was really wanting to see how you create that look.

Thanks! :)

Casey's stained glass windows are beautiful! Here's some of her blog entries about them. I hope I got them all!

http://caseymini.blogspot.com/2008/06/back-to-business.html

http://caseymini.blogspot.com/2008/06/leading-windows.html

http://caseymini.blogspot.com/2008/06/time-flies.html