Shingles

keinanna

What is the best way to do these? I am having difficulties with them i cant get them to cut straight they keep breaking off at weird angles and when i try to glue them i have done one partial row so far they want to curl. Any ideas on how to make this work?

If you are doing the Orchid, I would use a non waterbased glue. There are a number of them that dry quickly. I think some people use Ailene's Fast Grab or something like that. There is another kind in a green and yellow tube with the word quick in the name, maybe quick grip, that I used on my Primroses. It's messy, but they didn't curl, and they dried very quickly. (My mini stuff isn't at home so I can't look the names up). You could also use rubber cement.

The Orchid's shingles are thin enough that you should be able to cut them with scissors. I think that's what I did with my Primroses, and I will probably do the same with my Orchid.

I do like Corwin...I draw my lines first & make sure I have the center marked. I like to start in the center & work out. For shingles, I use a hot glue gun. It goes faster & less warping. This is the only thing I use the hot glue for. To trim for the edges, sometimes I use a razor knife, sometimes a mini hacksaw & sometimes a Dremel w/ a sanding drum. Whatever works best.

Good luck...Steve

I too draw lines. And I use either quick grab glue or Duco Cement to do the shingles. It dries fast and doesn't seem to curl the shingles as much! Takes a lot though......

If your shingles are breaking off at weird angles, you can make paper templates of your roof and glue your shingles to that instead. That way you can cut them all together in a straight line. Mines never break when I cut them on a template and I use regular scissors. I have an Easy Cutter but Ive found it difficult to cut shingles with it for some reason. Afterwards, you can glue your entire finished template to your roof and its a perfect fit every time.

I have a tutorial on it on my blog. http://moreminis.blogspot.com/2008/05/shingling-guide.html

• 3 weeks later...

I use the EZ Cutter to trim the shingles to fit and I draw parallel lines. I use wood glue and glue down about three rows at a time, and then put a piece of waxed paper over them and clamp scrapwood over them to remove the curl, and they dry flat.