San Francisco

kellee

That front gable with the radiating "half-timbering" was one of the things I heartily disliked about the 550; the 555 had the same milled-clapboard exterior of the rest of the house. If it's not too late I'd do two things: take those wood strips off of the gable & dormer and cover them with shingles, instead; or use spackling compound for "plaster" and paint it a background color and then use a stencil to paint or more spackling compound to make a parget design, perhaps a wreath around that funny little window and swags on either side. Next I'd take off those fakey "awning"-looking tops from the front door and windows and replace them with nice, fairly simple pediments.

I'd also like to see porch posts on the first floor porch.

Last, it's a San Franciscan! Why is it white with brown trim? Look at all that wonderful trim & doors! I'd find a lovely light exterior color for the siding and then go crazy with the color wheel to find three or four other colors that would look good with it to paint the trims (I did DGD's SF with white exterior and pale gray, blueberry & Chinese red trim!). Also, I wonder why your kit had the pretty little gingerbread squiggles for the top of the second floor porch, and nothing for the first floor? Check out the pictures of the SF555; Dura-Craft really improved the appearance of the porches with it.

The inside of your SF glows like a little jewel, on my monitor I see pastel shades of plum, green & blue-gray, and a golden sort of color in the livingroom; You could use that color palette on the front, as well, perhaps a slightly paler green for the walls and plum & blue for trim with white; or leave the walls white and use the plum, blue/gray and green. Definitely white or gray on that poor foundation.

If it all seems too extreme, take your exterior picture and put it into your "Paint" program and play with it, tweak it, and see what you like.

Holly has some great suggestions. Stained glass windows add a lot to the house as well. I did a tutorial in my blog if you are interested:

http://minimischief.blogspot.com/2008/05/s...a**-window.html

I also did flagstone on the porch of my San Fran and I will be doing flagstone around the base as well instead of the brick. There are some pics in my gallery, but it's got a long way to go.

I agree Holly, but the good thing is that is not my house, mine is worse.!! LOL !! It has no paint on the house itself, just the awnings and they are a dark red. YUCK! anyhow... check out my Blog!! I put a bunch of pictures of MIne on it.!!

Kellee

OK, First off I'd remove the aforementioned tops of the windows & front door and replace them with some nice pediments. OR I'd make lovely striped or colored awnings for the windows; in fact, loking at it again, I'd be sorely tempted to replace that second floor porch roof with a matching awning.

If you cannot remove the wood strips, by all means go nuts with color! The San Franciscan is meant to be Painted Lady! You can use a darker shade of that red, a dark shade of green (hunter green is nice, or a grayer green than that) and possibly a reddish plum, and a light gold or golden beige for the exterior walls (or whatever color palette "sings" to you the prettiest).

You can make a new tower roof from foamcore; one of the members who has this kit can trace you a pattern of one of the sections to make as many sections as you need, and when you glue them together you can reinforce the joins with bamboo skewers cut the length of each section's long edge.

Have fun with this, Kellee, no matter what you do to it will be an improvement!

BTW, I don't now what it is about your blog picture, but I tried to copy & paste it here (unenlarged from your blog) & it won't let me. Hmmm.

I have no idea what the color palette will be yet.! I was thinking a mint green.... but that is sorta just an idea.. I am not sure I will like that.!

The awning things are going to go!!!

I am thinking of completely removing the 2nd floor roof porch... as it is not put together properly anyway! Hey, its my excuse and I am sticking with it.! :insane:

Exactly, itis meant to be a painted Lady so Alot of color... pastels? and I want it to have alot of fancy trim work... I have no idea where to find that but will be looking!! I hate the porch.! I sure wish it had the beautiful heart looking porch trim...

Yes, I will find someone with the tower roof that will make me a template and I will make the roof out of Luan. (I have a couple sheets taking up space)

It sure needs alot of love and I intend to make it be loved.!

kellee

my san fran had a huge moving boo boo :glare: so she has to realy go into rehab but i will be giving her lots of love.

go with what you think it tells u it wants mine is white with dark green trim thats how she came and some how it works it needs to be freshened of couse but it like it :insane:

Hi Kelly, Ernie has that laser cut trim on his website here:

http://www.miniatures.com/hbs/global/Index....asp&C=2330

I think there are more laser cut trims available as well on other sites. Scroll through the pages, there are Apex trims as well if you can figure out how to get rid of those strips of wood radiating out at the top.

I have seen some interior laser trims made to use inside rooms that might work in place of the heart shaped one on the later San Frans. I couldn't find it on Ernie's site, but it might be there somewhere that I didn't look.

I found a bunch of the trims here as well:

http://www.lasertechminiatures.com/detailedtrims.html

Check out all the pages with the links on the bottom, especially detailed trims 1, 2 and 3!!!

• 2 months later...