shipping a beacon hill

My sister in law has my childhood beacon hill in PA. The problem is I live in Florida. I want my house! :) Any idea on how I can get it here without it completely falling apart or costing more than a new one? Its evidentally already in fairly rough shape. Have any of you done this? How much would it run?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Edited by Little House fan

I think there are several options available. I had a dollhouse sent to me from Colorado, i live in Utah....the person sent it via greyhound and if i remember correctly the price was around $100. It was a large and heavy house. I also bought a house from someone in Georgia, it was pre built and heavy as well...she sent it via UPS and i want to say it was around $140 or so to ship. Both of the houses i got were much heavier than the beacon hill. If you have it sent via Greyhound, i would say make sure it's wrapped up well. you might even have her take the house completely apart and you rebuild it after it gets to you. it may save on shipping $ that way and if you are going to rehab it anyway, starting from scratch may be the way to go. And it may save on teh shipping damage as well. I would say tho if it costs that much for shipping it may be cheaper for you to just buy a brand new kit from overstock.com. Good luck :)

Those prices are for shipping flat kit boxes. An already built BH would be in a much larger box. Most shipper rates are calculated on weight plus size, which increases the cost considerably.

DHL is the lowest price shipper. I use them to ship finished houses and have not had one arrive damaged. I do use wooden shipping crates though. They offer door to door for only $8.00 extra, it might be a bit more if you do not have an account but awesome for big stuff.

Greyhound buses ship bulky things, I don't know the cost.