Victorias Farmhouse

ISix o'clock this morning I had a brainstorm and got out the saw. I should have done it before assembling the house but the side porches were bugging me. The house is already too heavy and the railings are a pain because they are just too fragile, especially on a house with so much of it. A little railing is nice but it's just something more to break if the house is moved. I used my plywood pull saw and there is very little damage to the house body. I'll have to re-side the right upper side where I had to fill in half the door to make a window but that won't be too hard to do. I'll use the sawed off piece to make a slanted roof over the front porch. I like the house much better now that the size is more manageable. I added a wall to the upstairs where the door used to be and made a bathroom with a little hall behind it between the bathroom and the front windows. I had to close the side access because the door was warped and wouldn't stay shut. I just glued it onto the house. This house comes with about $50.00 worth of wood trim if bought separately so there is plenty of extra wood for repairs and trim. I'll have to get one new window. I thought I might possibly totally ruin the house but it all worked out the way I wanted.

Did you post pics of it yet? I find it easier to move my houses if they are attached to a base so I can carry it like a tray.

No pics yet. I want the glue on the foundation to be really dry before I move it onto a table. I'm surprized how easy it was to do. The front porch is deep enough for a porch swing. I also put a slanted roof over the bay. It was flat before. Two of the rooms in this house are so big it will take extra wallpaper but I have some real size wallpaper I will probably use.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love the wrap around porch but I am not so concerned with weight etc. I'm excited to fill the porch with goodies! It looks as though your house is a green color. Mine is a green and black and I was concerned about the darkness of it but seeing yours makes me more confident. I noticed your shingles are also dark. I did mine in an ebony stain and hated them. But maybe it's not so bad now that I see yours. Mine aren't even on yet because I thought I may by new ones and start all over! I think I like the mods you have done. Can't wait to see close ups and more pictures! I also noticed you took out the side opening! It's amazing what you gals can do with these kits!

I like to have a base too otherwise the house just feels too fragile to move. On my house I just finished I took off all the railing on the front porch. With it on it looked too much like my other house. I think it looked better off for the style plus the railing that had been there would have needed some repairs and it was easier to just get rid of it.

I only have one pic in the gallery of Victoria's farmhouse so far. It shows where I put a slanted roof over the front bay instead of the flat one that came with it. The side porches were all that I removed and put a slanted roof over the front porch. I closed the side porch door upstairs and made it the bathroom window. I'll take some pics today of the interior. It's out in the garage right now and I need to get back to it. I love this house but it weighs over 30 pounds so it's really hard for me to move around. My Alison Jr is heavy too. That's why I like the Greenleaf houses better. I can lift the whole beacon Hill shell by myself. When finished I'll have to put the farmhouse on a table and never move it again.

I did mine in an ebony stain and hated them.
Susan, I've already suggested you make a wash with a lighter/ brighter color paint and try it over a few of your ebony shingles to see how you like them. If your house is green go for a reddish color, since that's green's complement.

Holly, I had noticed you recommended a wash over the shingles. I haven't tried it yet but I will. I just give up on things and then get back to them eventually. Thanks for the post though because you have posted this a few times for me and I should have responded. It's great to have so many dedicated to helping others on this forum!