making a trash can

Tessy

ok i know you can use house hold items to make trash cans out of ( to which ive searched this house and have found nothing) . Does anyone have a printie of a trash can that you fold ect? or know a site I can find it on?

Thanks Diane

Diane, are you sure you don't have any of those containers that you put film from a camera in. They have a little lid as well. The photo stores just throw them out so I went and asked for them and got a huge back full. Or what about a round prescription bottle. You may be able to cut it down if it's too tall. They are nice if you wallpaper over them to match the decor of the room.

Just a couple of ideas.

Look through your bathroom cabinets at any bottle with a screw off top - (for instance Listerine or Scope). Then check your make-up or perfume bottles, then check your kitchen cupboards. Look only at the tops with this thought in your head:"What can I use this for?"

Remember the famous saying: "Think Small!"

Hi Diane,

I made a smaller kitchen trash can once from a silver perfume cap - it was cylindrical, just the right size and shiny like stainless steel. I used a small piece of a white trash bag sticking out to look like it was lining the can, and an inner seal type of plastic cap from a milk carton (the kind with a pull tab, also on some orange juice cartons) as the lid, so it looked like it was hinged and could lift up. I also added a little piece of a silver sequin to look like the pedal at the base that lifts the lid. I'm sorry i don't have a picture, and my kittens claimed (destroyed) it months ago, so I don't have it now. But, I may try to make another soon since I am thinking about it, and if I do I'll post a pic and P.M. you. Sorry, I don't know of any printies offhand. Good luck!

Personally I love the little plastic containers you get at restaurants that hold 1/2 and 1/2 or creamer. They are about an inch and a half tall, and have fluted sides. I bring them home and wash them out and then paint them and they make great trash containers and/or waste baskets! they remind me of the ones we had in the office and/or school many years ago! I also fill them with trash......

For a more modern, rectangle trash can, I've used the top to a case for a digital thermometer. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

The single-serving liquid coffee "lightener" containers make nice round wastepaper baskets. I made a lovely garbage can from a large Listerine cap I glued tiny jumprings onto two sides and spray painted silvery. You can recycle old greeting cards into the little four-sided wastepaper baskets, but I don't remember offhand if I've seen a pattern for one.

For a stainless steel trash can, use a film canister and wrap the out side with the inside from a tooth paste tube. A little bit of green plastic garbage bag peeking through the lid can look like the real thing. :)