Beacon Hill progress

debra

Hello again. I remembered my original user name etc, with some help from a kind member. :) I have been a member since 2005 WOW :) , I have a Willow started, but is on the back burner now, as my Beacon Hill arrived from the states, but it sat in the cupboard for about 3 years. :( I started another post as ozziedeb, but was unable to post or reply to anything, so if you like (administator you can cancel that post and name :( , if that is possible)

There are about 28 pics in my gallery of my progress and the changes I am making to this wonderful house. (The Beacon Hill)

I have extended to kitchen, put the side bay window in the front of the house, added another room to the second floor, and possibly to the third floor, if I can figure out how to extent the mansard roof, I think I can do it. :)

And am adding a conservatory to the side where the bay should have been, there will be french doors there eventually.

I remember too, years ago I had a link to free printables, wallpaper, floor patterns etc, when I find it I will add it to my gallery for you all to snavelle to your favorites for your own personal use, it is sized ready to print onto cardstock. :p

And when I extract a digit, I will set up a tutorial for the ferns, trees, and flower gardens I make. I will add pics to my gallery soon. They are really easy and can be made from most things that ppl have laying around the house.

It is great to be back here again with all you wonderful ppl, and I hope to not be a stranger this time and will promise to not go AWOL again lol :(

Cheers Debra from Australia.

Oh PS Any other members from Oz please email me, maybe we can share mini stuff, I have lots of freebies, stuff I make etc. And we can exchange ideas as well. ( If you want too that is lol)

Hi. Thankyou for the warm welcome back. I have to reply here, as I am unable to acces the other post???????

Anyways, I have been hunting today, I went to the local laminex place and got a box full of samples, it is the stuff that goes on your kitchen benches etc, not sure what it is called in other counties, I got some woodgrian, marble, stainless steel effect and lots more.

I am also going to a wood furniture making place tomorrow to go through their trailer load of throw away scraps, I should find some really great off cuts there, I hope.

Then off to the paint place to gather some missmatched paints, they sell these for $2 for 500ml.

I have had a rest from building for two days, but I have been sanding the clapboard siding ready to paint it tonight.

My hubby is very impressed with what I am doing lol, lucky I have a craft room to keep it in. He is bringing me home a base to sit the house on tonight, it will be 2 foot 4 inches by 5 foot long, so I have room to put a front garden. I cant wait to make the garden.

One of our freinds is a builder and he had a look and was very impressed as well, he gave me a few tips on how to some stuff.

I will add to my gallery soon, also I will add the pics of my willow, I thought I might pull it out from the corner of the room and continue on it as well, I may have to pinch some siding from that kit to go on th Beacon Hill, but that is ok, as I wanted to stucco or brick the Willow anyways.

Oh I am going to electrify the Beacon Hill now, so any tips on this would be greatly appreciated, and I am still not sure as to wheather to put the staircase in or not. I have seen one without and I really like the extra room it creates, but then I do like the staircase as well, thinking thinking lol.

Ok that is enough update for now lol, the B&B is TV now...lol

Cheers Deb.

UPDATE........I have put the pics of my Willow into my gallery, the one that I started 3 years ago lol..:Dr_Evil: I will add descriptions later as it is now 2 in the morning....:lol:

The wainscote in ther kitchen( I think that is what it is called) is done with icypole sticks. And the brick on the fireplace is printed cardstock. That was hard to get right... But I am happy with the result, One thing I noticed, I did not sand everything like I should have...:doh: I will try to fix it at a later date. It was my first attempt after all.....

Cheers Debra.

Hi John. I put the wallpaper on while it was in the SHELL stage, before the windows wainsote etc. There are many ways to do this, you can even wallpaper before you put the walls together if you want too, do what ever feels more comfortable for you. I have been told to wallpaper first where you will be putting stairs, much easier to get into the tight spots before the stairs go in.

Thankyou everyone for you lovely comments.

Oh John your bird houses are to die for, have you made a doll house yet, if so I would love to see pics.

Cheers Deb.

I would add that you will want to seal or prime the wood prior to wallpapering (like sizing a wall in a 1:1 house) to give a smooth surface that won't discolor the paper over time (since natural acids in the wood will gradually turn paper brown).

I just came up with a great idea, if you are a smoker:).....cut a small bit off your filter before you light it, if you smoke menthol it will be a white filter, this makes a great tiolet roll, put a jewellery head pin through it and bend the ends and glue onto some little bead spacers then glue to the wall.

They are just the right size to wrap a pritnted can label around, I will put pics in my gallery when the camera batteries recharge.

If you dont smoke you can buy a packet of filters form a tobbacconist shop for little money, also cut tiny snippets off and take the outside paper off, these make great mini makup sponges in your tiny bathroom.

Cheers Deb.

Ditto to what havanaholly said lol I forgot that part.....:yes: I use cheap paint from the paint depo's mistakes table, $2.50 for 500ml or $5 for a litre compaired to about $40 for a normal tin.

Cheers Deb.

Thank you Deb and havanaholly for the helpful tips .

Deb i have never built a doll house yet but people have been asking me to for the last few years . I was never interested in building one but then a little over six months ago i became a grandpa to a beautiful little girl so i have quickly changed my mind since then. lol

Hi Gina.

Yeah I work till about 4 in the morning then go to bed and sleep till about 11 am, as long as no one wakes me up that is lol. I seem to get more done in the wee hours of the morning for some reason...:yes:

I have posted a pic of my loo paper in my gallery, I added a little bit of tissue paper to it for a more realistic effect.

I went to a local timber furniture factory today and got lots of goodies, off cuts of all sorts of stuff, they said I can come back every couple of days if I want to. I want too lol ...:banana:

I got some redgum that has been sawn so thin it is like paper, I plan to cut it into strips for floor boards etc. Pics in my gallery if interested...

Cheers Debra.

Considering the price of cigarettes and the fact that neither of us smokes (since DH quit one day after more than 40 years' BIG habit!) I'll stick with rolling my own single-ply strip of toilet tissue into a roll.

I suppose one could split the cigarette paper and sprinkle the tobacco out & dry it for ground cover, but not for anything you might want to sell, as the smell would be objectionable.

But for those of you trying to quit smoking, go for it! What a wonderful way to use up those remaining cigarettes and stock a mini linen closet with the extra rolls of TP!

Havanaholly, that is great idea lol, but I have used only unsmoked filters, I would never think of selling them with any type of tobacco used in it. But I do like the idea of sprinkling the tobacco around instead of smoking it lol, wonder if hubby would have any objections to this lol...:banana:

You can however buy a bag of filters for a few cents a bag, I thought they looked very realistic, and so easy to make....:yes:

Cheers Deb.

Miss Penelope had arrived to inspent the progress of her new home. I think she looks pleased.. There are new pics in my gallery.:)

I have just propped the verandah up with some posts, I am still deciding wheather to put round or square posts up, with the fancy stuff added to them of course :o . The second story is coming along nicely, the cladding is nearly done. And the extra room is all in place.

I have potted some catus I found in the garden just then, when I went out to feed the chooks, it has very sharp little thingys on it... :D . And I intend to put some wisteria or the like around the verandah, grape vines look nice too, I can make gape bunches from polymer clay. I remember our old farm house years ago, it had a vine around the verandah, it looked wonderful in the summer time.

I am having so much fun building this house, and am very pleased with the bashing I have attempted. :lol: I just have to fill it all up now with furniture. :crazyeyes:

My biggest dilema is choosing the right wall papers etc, I want it to look very victorian but not too dark, if you know what I mean. And I want it to all blend in, I dont want any particular room jumping out at you when you look at it. :eek:

This is great I have the whole weekend to myself, my hubby and son have gone away, so I can build to my hearts content yipeeeeee :cucumber:

Cheers for now Debra.

Hi Caroline, the Willow is an easy build, good for a beginner as there is not too much fancy detail as such, tho I have found the Beacon Hill not so hard either, and I have only part done my Willow, then started the Beacon Hill, it is going take longer, and cause I have bashed it so much I am making more work for myself, but in the end it will be worth it..:cloud9:

I would suggest you build a house you really want, as I only did th Willow cause that was all I was able to obtain here in Australia, I ordered my Beacon Hill from the states and it took about 3 months to get here, and I really wanted to get started on something lol. As you do...:worthy:

I am glad I have the Willow tho, as it is a very nice house, I think I am going to brick or stucco the outside walls, as I need to pinch some of the siding for my Beacon Hill extensions lol...

Good luck with whatever you decide, and do please post pics, we love pics here........

Cheers Debra.

Oh Oh Oh I forgot to mention,...........................

I got some wallpaper sample books today.................:cloud9: They are huge....

And there is paper in there that looks just like pressed metal ceilings...I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo excited, it is plain white, intended to be painted, I could not believe my eyes when she gave me the books......

We only have one paper place here, so I am going to ring around some other small towns and see if they have any books they dont want, or are finished with. This paper would cost about $3 or more a sheet if I were to go to the local scrapbook place, and even then I would not get the same as this great stuff.

I got some more wood today as well, very thin strips of redgum and beechwood, I am going to sand and varnish them for the floors....:worthy:

It is amazing what you can get for freeebies if you really try...:blink:

Cheers Debra.

Hi everybody, I have not done any work on my house for a couple of days, I have been shopping for freebies lol, I got lots of goodies......and making some things for another member as a swap. I have put pics in my gallery under Mini things, if you want to have a gander.

I know you all love eye candy lol...............

Cheers Deb.