Square tower into a different shape on Fairfield

NotKateHepburn

I'm not loving the squared off tower for what I'm trying to bring to life here. I bought some foam board with the hopes that this is something that would work.

I'm assuming that I won't be able to get a totally round shape using foam board but a softer, nearly round...or even a hex shape would be more what I'm thinking. Or is there a better, but sturdier than paper, product to make a rounder tower with? I'll also run into problems with windows too if I go more round though right? So maybe more hex shaped?

How hard is foam board to paint or cover with clay?

Heck, I'm lost and confused here lol Any help would be great! TIA!

thats a great idea! i'll have to borrow it when i start mine! you could make it in cardboard to see if you like the shape, then make the pieces out of bass wood. you can get it at the craft store and it's cheap and easy to cut. i hope you post photos! i'd love to see them!

The whole house might fit into a carpet roll ... but I think you'd be better off with thin (1/8") basswood than foamcore board, simply because it will make tidier corners.

Foamcore board takes paint and clay very well, if you go that route.

Can't wait to see pictures. :p

The whole house might fit into a carpet roll ... but I think you'd be better off with thin (1/8") basswood than foamcore board, simply because it will make tidier corners.

Foamcore board takes paint and clay very well, if you go that route.

Can't wait to see pictures. :p

Seal/ prime your foamcore first and I think it'll take about any treatment you want to give it! As for tidy corners, I find that Nutti's trick of gluing lengths of bamboo skewer into the "groove" created by the edges of the tower sections give stability as well as filling those gaps, and once you cover it all with paperclay/ spackling compound/ drywall mud/ siding your tower will look like it's supposed to.

Paper towel rolls are a hair on the small side for subbing for the Fairfield's square tower. I'm partial to a hex-design, especially in 1:24. Maybe the smaller-size round oatmeal box for round, and build up the window areas so flat windows would work.