Orchid Piece Missing

Drakes

Hi everyone!

Fixed one problem and didn't realize I was making my first mistake. But that was only a matter of time I guess :o

I don't want the stairs, so I cut across the railing piece attached to the second floor to make a complete floor. Sanded it. Cleaned it up. And glued it into the house to the second floor. Now I am working on the small pieces and realized that the fence I messed up to complete the second floor was no the stairs fence, but the front door fence!!!

I really wanted my front door fence!

So I am wondering if anyone didn't use their front door fences. I'll buy them off you :(

Anyone? Pretty please?

~Gio

So looking through a drawer I found an old mini bed that I wasn't planing on using... pulled the bigger piece apart, traced, and got busy cutting and sanding... Only problem is now I have to stop, cause I broke my X-acto knife LOL

Oh well, this is it so far. I will have to continue next weekend, when I can go out and get a new knife and some paints, and hopefully I'll find that paper clay, too. I want to do stones on the outside :o

Thanks guys!!!

post-2667-1198972939_thumb.jpg

Won't be the last blade you break,, trust me!! Better keep a supply of them handy.

I also did a bit of bashing, deciding not to use the stairs. I floored and ceilinged over the hole. Now I'm thinking I want the stairs... decisions.. decisions!!

Won't be the last blade you break,, trust me!! Better keep a supply of them handy.

I also did a bit of bashing, deciding not to use the stairs. I floored and ceilinged over the hole. Now I'm thinking I want the stairs... decisions.. decisions!!

Oh the blade didn't break. The whole knife did lol but tomorrow I am going to go get an X-acto brand one and lots of blades :)

I am never going to forget the mistake I made even if I don't do an Orchid for another 20 years.

I am grateful to you guys for the help! Thank you :(

Hey, don't think of it as a mistake! Instead, think of it as an idea to "bash" or "modify" the house that didn't turn out the way you liked, so you did something different! :) Lots of people here bash their houses in all sorts of creative ways.

It took me awhile to learn that while building my Garfield. I thought I had to follow the directions exactly as written, and I'd panic every time something didn't work out as I thought it was "supposed to". Then I learned about "bashing", and sailed on through to completion!

It's your house, you can make it any way you want. Consider the directions just "suggestions", not "must do it this way!" and you'll surprise yourself at your own creativity!

The whole craft knife thing looked too flimsy for me, I have gone with a Stanley utility knife. "mistakes" are opportunities for learning how to cope & improvise.

hopefully I'll find that paper clay, too. I want to do stones on the outside
I "stoned" the exterior of my Orchid, too: blog-8-1165351269_thumb.jpg

only I didn't use paperclay.

Hey, don't think of it as a mistake! Instead, think of it as an idea to "bash" or "modify" the house that didn't turn out the way you liked, so you did something different! :) Lots of people here bash their houses in all sorts of creative ways.

It took me awhile to learn that while building my Garfield. I thought I had to follow the directions exactly as written, and I'd panic every time something didn't work out as I thought it was "supposed to". Then I learned about "bashing", and sailed on through to completion!

It's your house, you can make it any way you want. Consider the directions just "suggestions", not "must do it this way!" and you'll surprise yourself at your own creativity!

That's exactly what happened! As you can see above my problem was so easy to solve that I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't think about the solution myself. But I panicked when I thought I messed it all up :( When I panic I tend to miss the obvious lol

But you are right, it is MY house! and I'd rather have a nice little kitchen than a set of stairs. Its not like the dolls will mind that they have to fly upstairs :(

The whole craft knife thing looked too flimsy for me, I have gone with a Stanley utility knife. "mistakes" are opportunities for learning how to cope & improvise.I "stoned" the exterior of my Orchid, too only I didn't use paperclay.

You're right, I think for some things a utility knife might be a better bet now that you mention it. Like for opening the railing :)

What did you use to make your stones?

I am going to look at all the possibilities I have for stone work when I go to the store later today and then I'll let you all know what I decided on. But I love the look someone did... I forget her name... but she did the most amazing house, with paperclay stones, bricks showing through in some parts at the top, and the black and brown windows.

For the interior, I am doing wood floors in the bedroom and living room, with stucco walls, but the bath and kitchen are screaming for tile, so that might bring my interior more up to par with the furniture I got with the kit and probably won't have to re-furnish it after :(

I think I should definitely electrify, or at least run the wires around the walls and through the floors before I stucco and paperclay and install the walls, right? I better go take a look at the house and figure out where I want my lights so I can figure out what I can choose from, as I MIGHT buy them today.

This construction stuff is going a lot faster than I thought it would :(

Oh ho!!! Y'all look, notice, she asked! Gio, it is not for nothing that I am the Queen of Spackling Compound!lol

LOL so many ideas, so little time!!!!

I am not too gung-ho about having to roll out sheets of stuff as it is, so maybe....hmmmmmm

*pondering*

And I just realized that the lights will more or less depend on what I am doing with the furniture, so till further notice, I buy no lights... YET :)

Time to go shopping!!!

Well, I'm back from shopping and I'm a bit dissapointed cause I couldn't find paperclay or modeling tool thingys.

But I did get the following:

- An Excel brand "X-acto" knife

- A heavy duty Excel knife

- Mini Miter box with razor saw

- A door knocker and door handle set for my front door.

- 2 sanding sponges (better than the plain sand paper I've been using)

- Some small artist paint brushes for smaller things.

- 2 sponge brushes for bigger things

- A "hydro hider" (box with door that goes on the side of the house to hide the power bar thing)

- Black and white tile-cardboard stuff for my kitchen floor.

- White tile-cardboard stuff for my bathroom floor and half of the walls

- Various colurs of aclilic paint (white, dark brown, light brown, black, grey and brick red).

- 2 plastic sheets to make windows out of.

- 1 black fine point stain glass marker to make the outline on the windows

- A blanket box kit to put together.

- 2 Dollshouse World magazines (cause I can never find them in my area so I get them when I go downtown which is not often anymore)

- Book: "Making Doll's House Miniatures with Polymer Clay" by Sue Heaser

- Book: "390 Traditional Stained Glass Designs" by Hywel G. Harris

- Book: "The Miniature Quilt" by Dinah Travis (Cause I'm a quilter first :))

- Some crown molding sticks.

- Oh and the cutest set of coverlet/comforter with 2 shams with the cutest trim with tiny roses on the edge.

Soooooo...... $300 later... I have something to do this coming "weekend" when I'm off work :)

I want my paperclay... Or feel free to tell me how to work with sparkling compound :)

Next stop will be the hardware store. Its cheaper and they have more variety of paints, knives and brushes :)

Can this sparkling compound be tinted, too?

Can you believe I haven't eaten today? I had blueberry juice before I left the house. Had more juice when I came home. I'm making soup! I'm starving! I used to call this the "doll maker's diet".... then I called it the "Quilter's diet"... this time around its turning into the "Dollhouse diet" lol

Oh yes, and I will think about them Lima beans. Have to see if I can put them together convincingly :)

Congratulations! You are now addicted to dollhouses!

Oh sweety, I've been addicted to the minis for a while now :) I just never tried doing a house before :)

But its about time. I have too much furniture and things and tired of keeping them in boxes :)

So I got the Orchid and the Haunted house, and a half-scale Classic Colonial. I just decided to go for the Orchid first :)

I'll post some pictures in the gallery sometime.

Edited by Drakes

I've used those sanding sponges and really like them. Wash one and while drying use the other. Sounds like you're off to a great start with supplies-but did I see and masking tape or clamps listed? Another thing I like to keep around are wipees--so convenient to wipe glue off hands without having to get up and go to the sink, also handy for wiping up when to much is applied.

I've used those sanding sponges and really like them. Wash one and while drying use the other. Sounds like you're off to a great start with supplies-but did I see and masking tape or clamps listed? Another thing I like to keep around are wipees--so convenient to wipe glue off hands without having to get up and go to the sink, also handy for wiping up when to much is applied.

I have masking tape of course :)

They didn't have clamps there, but I am thinking about getting some at the hardware store, but I did think about that. I've been using weights to hold my stuff together till it dries for now.

I didn't know you could wash the sponges. Great idea :)

I love the idea of the wipes. Has to be better than the paper towel I have been using to wipe up the extra glue from around the creases...

You're just amazing with the fantastic ideas :) THANK YOU!